Thread: made it !!!

Ultra King
    Made the top Mon. 20.4.09, 11 am. I found it verrrrry hard, due to having Asthma, over 4000m was surffering badly with AMS. Had mild AMS from 3000m till got used to thin air, but above 4000m was really bad for me, had to inject Diomox to get to top! I just could not breathe properly, didn't even stop to take pics!! I HAD to get down as quick as I could, I was coughing up blood and frothing at mouth, I have never felt so close to saying f**k it, sitting down and letting what happens happen in a long, long time. That's not to say that others will find it anywhere near as hard. The route my friend and I took was not the " normal " trekking route/s, we had to use 'full winter climbing gear'. On the 'normal' winter routes, an ice axe and 'pons is all you need. I, because of illness, have'nt been above 2000m for 15ish yrs, I trained as hard as I could for 6mths prior to trip, fitness was not the problem, it was the lack of 02 in the air. Having said all this I had a good time and would like to visit High Atlas again, as they say In-Shallagh. (God, 'Allaha', Willing). h

Well done fella, glad you made it down safely

Great stuff HM. Well done.

Ultra King

Congratulations HM

where next?

Nice one H .

You aint missed nowt here!!!

Inspiring.... well done!

Ultra King
    Was thinking of Nepal next, but considering the problems I had with AMS, might need to think about that!! An other 1000m just to get Base Camps, plus @ 1500m to top. I have always wanted to see Everest, Sagamaratha, since I first heard of Mallory & Irving from my Grandpa, when very young. I'm not sure that is possible now! too old, health problems, etc. might stop dream.Will not stop me doing other things!! h

Ultra King

Well done that man!

I don't think I could show such perseverence and determination in such circumstances.

Congratulations, Beagleman, and welcome back!

Brilliant, well done for persevering.

Never mind the pics, you have the memories.

Ultra King
    Memories are good, just wish I had pic's as well!! I think Chris (who I climbed with might of took some, if he got any will get him 2 send to me. I'll then try to put on gallery. h

Good for you Impressed. Guess if you go all that way you gotta push yourself as far as possible?

Ultra King
    yes and no, when I got HAPE, I was very close to summit, with-in 200m, if I had further to go, or Diomox didn't help, I would have turned round and forgot about summit!! It will be there, I was close to coming home in a box! can allways go back and try again if alive. To me their is no point in 'bagging' top if you don't get down alive. I have other things I would like to do,can't do them if 6ft under!! h