Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PARAMO is RUBBISH

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by Wurz View Post

Last comment!! That was almost 4 years ago. Twigs has been drinking sherry again and bored.
    I just think OM is a place for insomniacs, even taking into account some are in different time zones, and others are just on a different planet

Widdler

Some numerous replies in here but as with most things in life what's ones scoop of caviar is another's dog poop sandwich. Personally I haven't tried Paramo so I can't comment on its performance but for me as I run hot I wouldn't entertain it. By the same token I wouldn't buy event, but that's more down to me being a lazy b'stard as anything that has to be washed regularly barring underwear that is, is a big no no.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt C View Post
    Yeah, but we have to keep checking that Diddy still hasn't seen the light

Quote Originally Posted by Wurz View Post

Last comment!! That was almost 4 years ago. Twigs has been drinking sherry again and bored.
    There was a bit of a point actually, but my beer goggles prevented a real attempt at conveying it.

I've Event/Gore jackets, P+P for winter, and then a Valez which i've still to wear "in anger" if you will. I just don't have the trust in it that i do with the others. I know there's only one solution, to actually give it a go.

Übermensch

The worst that can happen is you'll get wet.

And as you're currently using membrane jackets you'll be used to that anyway

Paramo is brilliant... and I'll only switch to something else when someone makes something better.

Widdler

I have to agree about the rubbishness in general. The good points are that the material feels nice and dries fast. The old Alta jackets were good and the smock thing was also good for skiing abroad where it doesn't rain so much.

The bad points are :

The new Alta is not windproof, despite what they say (only tested at 30 mph apparently according to the blurb), and none of the pockets, except the inner one, are waterproof (and this in a waterproof!) - one mobile phone blown up to prove it - I'm also on my 3rd zip.

I've had two medium pairs of Cascada trousers for several years, and, for most of their life, water has poured in, despite repeated cleaning, proofing and the full stripping process with vicious washing powder, followed by two normal washes and reproofing they recommend as a last resort. Anything that touches the inside of the material, such as a handkerchief or keys (or phone) in the pockets becomes saturated, as eh water leaks through. They tell me that my legs aren't wet and that I'm just feeling the cold material, but I think I can tell if all the hairs on my legs are wet and my underpants saturated! I was told that maybe they were too tight, so, very stupidly, I bought two pairs of large. Now, if you need a marquee for a wedding or some such, a pair of these will come in really handy - I have enough space front and back to secrete away 3 melons - I guess I'm trying to say they are massive and no more waterproof. Oh, yes - and the material rips very easily if you happen to be sliding down some stony ground/rocks

The problem is they are SO pretty!

Pockets aren't waterproof. On anything. You'll find threads on here where people are complaining about their phone drowning in the pocket of a hard shell waterproof as well. Stick it in a plastic bag!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Dillon View Post

Paramo is brilliant... and I'll only switch to something else when someone makes something better.

I'm still waiting for someone to make something better. Until then... it's Paramo!

Übermensch

Just spent four days walking in the worst weather the Lake District could throw at me.

Glad I was wearing Paramo.

Somebody signs up on 2 sites (at least)to put exactly the same post on old threads?

I must trust everything that person says.

Übermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinley View Post

Somebody signs up on 2 sites (at least)to put exactly the same post on old threads?
    oooh, who?

Ultra King

Wish this zombie thread would die a quick death. It was meant as a tongue in cheek counter to a couple of threads that had become a multi-page Paramo love-in. It was many years ago now and just plain daft how people search and find these old threads just to make some point that has been made better years ago.

Get this straight...Paramo is neither good nor bad. It's one solution to walking in our inclement weather. You like it or not is unimportant. It's your opinion nothingmore. Some agree with you others don't. Personally I've lost all interest, I'm only posting because it shows my name as the original poster and new forum members might actually think I was being serious in my thread starting post. I was not. Do you honestly think people give as much thought as to whether PertexShield plus is good or bad in the same way?

Übermensch
    Hooray.

Initiate

ooh paramo, well it either works for you or it doesn't,

it kind of does for me but doesn't, but I don't hate it with a passion !

I had the aspira jacket brand new just before my winter ml assessment in 2010,

im just 40yrs old and a qualified winter ml.

I found its great in cold environments and wet days, but I had a bad time with it over extended period on expedition in winter in the cairngorms , mind 90-100 mph winds and sleety rain , I was quitewet inside and uncomfortable, the jacket had obviously taken more water on than it could pump out over the 3 days, so I use paramo on winter / cold day walks, and event on expeditions , easier for the water to freeze on it and be bashed off in the snow hole

it has its place , but I still like and use it, mind the pockets are not waterproof so always bag your gear up inc your phone and electronic car keys.

all the best Sean Winter ML

The best waterproof I own for those dry days

Frumpy, boxy and ill fitting, doesn't keep the rain out and heavy too, what's not to like

I got a 2nd hand Velez adventure light a couple of months ago, to try and see what all the fuss was about.

I wore it out on a middling cold/windy/showery afternoon walk. Mmmmh - result was I just wished I'd worn my Buffalo shirt which would have been warmer and all round nicer and doesn't need another layer underneath it.

On the wet OM lakes meet in Feb. I remember sitting in the pub afterwards, listening to several Paramo clad folks complaining about being damp/wet, and drying their kit on the radiators. Sorry , I wore my usual Buffalo + eVent and was dry and comfortable.

I'll give it another try when the weather is warmer but I will probably not keep the Paramo.

Paramo = Marmite of the outdoors clothing.

Mini Goon
    I absolutely love my Halcon. It's never let me down through all kinds of utterly atrocious weather and has outlasted all my other kit. Perhaps as it's their heaviest jacket it's more effective than the lighter stuff?

Initiate

Well Tall PC, seems you can't kill your own thread. Too convenient a peg for folk to hang their conceits on.....

Maybe this will do it (though I doubt it).

I really like the velez light shirt, fits me well and keeps out a lot of weather, but won't trust it in very wet weather. I also like the trousers. I wear other stuff too mind, depending on conditions.

Each to their own