Thread: Glyders

Not been in the Glyders before but will be back in North Wales in a couple of weeks as part of my training for the Samworth Challenge.

I'll sit down with a map before hand, but would welcome suggestions for a looped route, taking in all 5 of the 3000's.

cheers

Dave

The most obvious to suggest itself would be up from Nant Peris to Elidr Fawr then do the other three before doubling back to Lyn y Cwn and dropping back down the Afon Las. You could drop down sooner to Pen Y Pass and hitch/Sherpa bus that section.

First option about 17km/1600m, the second 15km/1600m..... Unless of course by five you mean you want to do Tryfan too....then things change a lot....?

was hoping to do Tryfan too yes

having a quick scan I was thinking of a llyn Ogwen start, but at a glance Elidr Fawr looks a little mmm.... out on a limb.

I take it you want to do it in a day? Perfectly reasonable even if you do include Tryfan - but I am not too hot on access from that side and don't know about ways around/through the intake walls etc.....someone else will doubtless chip in...

‹bermensch

...from Ogwen, Tryfan by north ridge, then up Bristaly Ridge onto Glyder Fach, then Glyder Fawr.

Down to Llyn y Cwn, up Y Garn then Elidir Fawr (via Foel Goch & Mynnydd Perfedd) then retrace back to Y Garn, down it's NE ridge back to Ogwen.

Quote Originally Posted by ed h View Post
    I take it you want to do it in a day? Perfectly reasonable even if you do include Tryfan - but I am not too hot on access from that side and don't know about ways around/through the intake walls etc.....someone else will doubtless chip in...
    That side is pretty much big cliffs which peter out into slag heaps. The easiest route doing it that way is to take the path to Y Garns North ridge (through the ravine at Idwal Cottage). When you cross the final wall you can follow it round into Cwm Cywion avoiding the steep crags. It's then a fairly simple walk (slog) onto Foel-goch and then Elidir Fawr.

Bivvy perhaps?

It's quite feasible with only a little back-tracking. Start below Tryfan and do the North Ridge (grade 1) then down the South Ridge and either up Bristley Ridge (grade 1) or the adjacent scree slope onto Glyder Fach. Across on to Glyder Fawr and down to Llyn y Cwn, and over Y Garn and onto Elidir Fawr. Then go back over Bwlch y Brecan and descend a nameless spur that sites between Cwm Perfedd and Cwm Bual.

Drop down into Cwm Bual (pathless) to a wall and stile below Yr Esgair (great views). From here a faint but used path contours the base of Yr Esgair and traverses Cwm Coch. It then runs across the Mushroom Garden to the top of a small gorge in Cwm Cywion (637604). The path then follows a wall into Cwm Idwal and you can walk back to the road. The whole of the traversing path is lovely; it will be deserted and gives excellent views. Here's a pic to give an idea of the path:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikepea...7604554316447/

‹bermensch

That seems a great alternative ending to my suggestion Mike.

Certainly preferable to dropping down to the old A5 which can be a bit of a relentless slog back to Idwal/Ogwen, particularly at the end of a long day.

It's a nice little path, and people must use it or it would fade, but I've never encountered another person on it. It gives cracking views of the gullies and pinnacles on Creigiau Gleision. I suppose another alternative would be to go to the summit of Foel Goch on the return and descend the Y Llymllwyd/Mushroom Garden spur and pick up the traversing path by the little gorge.

I also have a book that suggests a direct descent from Foel Goch into Cwm Cywion but I haven't done that yet. It's certainly a seldom-visited cwm. The Glyders are full of little out of the way wild places, and thankfully most people are content to stick to the main highways

I stumbled on that traversing path myself the other day descending Y Llymllwyd, it was a pleasant surprise. As Mike says, it's faint but clear enough once you're on it and you get whole cwms to yourself. It's surprising how lonely it is in the northern Glyderau really.

EDIT
    ...and I think the path may appear in this picture passing below Creigiau Gleision:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kidcobol/3439216530