Thread: The Lakeland Way

Mini Goon

Me and him are planningon walking the Lakeland Way in May (didn't mean for that to rhyme) I don't think it's a major route but it looks scenic enough and just enough of a trek to get us both back into 'it' after a years absence (damn builders).

Has anyone either a) done all or parts of it and can recommend any nice pubs / campsites etc or b) have any good tips as it's our first walk over several days. We normally pick a camp and then venture out each day...

The link is http://www.lakelandway.com/

Thanks!

Widdler

I did this walk about this time last year, I stayed at YHAs all round, first night Great Langdale then Wasdale. I rather overestimated how heavy my rucksack was and ended up taking the lower routes for some of it, after the first day I couldn't face scafell with a 10Kg rucksack. As a result of this I bought lots of lightweight gear for my more recent adventures.

So based on that I would suggest you don't camp because you save a lot of weight and there is plenty of accommodation around. I would heartily recommend the YHA in wasdale the food and beer was better than some hotels I've stayed in and the view from the garden is to die for.

If you were desperate to camp then there is a national trust campsite in langdale and several other ones too. Lots of ok looking pubs, including one next to the campsite.

All in all it's a nice walk, even better if the weather is good.

Mini Goon

We have lightweight equipment, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue, less then 8kg for my sack and 9kg for his including water.

We're wanting to do Hadrian's Wall next year so thought this would be a good starter one.

Thanks for the tip about the YHA in Wasdale though,

‹bermensch
    oooh I like the look of that, do you have a link to a route map (can't find one on the site you linked to Catherine)?

Mini Goon

I've got it half plotted on my tracklogs software - we have to order a second disc - I can post a PDF when it's done if you want...

We've walked around Langdale alot as we both grew up in Barrow (South Cumbria) its a trek to get there these days, two hours on the train and then two buses, but it'll be worth it.

the site just lists the route, you have to map it yourself.

Widdler
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine Burns View Post

This is an aspect I liked about the walk, at the time I wasn't experienced enough to want to plan a huge route myself and I found that with the suggestions they give I stuck a nice balance between choosing my own route and having a nice planned route.

Hadrians wall is an area where I've spent a bit of time (being based in Newcastle at the moment) it would never appeal to me, I think it'd be too monotonous to walk the whole lot.

I'm heading accross to keswick tomorrow for a few days, it take about 3.5hrs from newcastle by train/bus which annoys the hell out of me! I envy anyone who lives within easy reach of such an area!

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine Burns View Post

that's fair enough, I just wondered if there was a set route.

Mini Goon

It's my intention to eventually do all the national trails - Hadrians is the shortest and hence the first to be done. Once we hit Cumbria it'll be the thought of my mum picking me up and taking us back to hers for a proper fry-up that'll keep me going.

I walked Keswick to Barrow once - never again, longest walk of my life.

No wonder scafell nearly dropped me to my knees just got back from there(easter) had roughly 19kg in sack, hard work, v hard work, scafell on the friday and still 2 days to go.

considering a base camp next time, although that will reduce our freedom considerably, and maybe get to see even more, still managed about 24 miles in about 22 hours(one of us had a badly sprained ankle by the saturday dinner)

Less weight surely more fun!!

Ultra King

Catherine - I'm doing the Keswick to Barrow (40 miles in one day) in less than 4 weeks! Was it the charity walk on the roads you did? How hard was it? On a scale of 1 to wheelchair.

I once did the Lakeland Round. It is a longer route (up to 2 weeks depending on how far you want to walk each day). Did it wild camping. Excellent high level option for anyone who wants to see the best of the Lakes in one trip.

Hadrians wall route - I reckon the last 5 days of the walk from the East to West is best. That is what I intend to do someday. Yu miss out the bits through towns on the first few days that way. Cheating I know but if you are only interested in enjoying your trip and not bothered by getting the "official tick" of the full trail it is better doing the shorter option.

Mini Goon

Yeah that's the walk I did - took about 6 hours. I was knackered but bonus was I didnt have to carry anything - we had a support van...

tip - go to Diggles in barrow and get a roast pork, apple sauce and gravy bun.

when you get to Barrow if you're not from the area have a night out - Barrow people are 'special' - it's like an episode of Booze Britain.