Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rucksack with wheels?

Widdler

Hello!

I'm heading off for a 4month trip in Oz, Thailand, Cambodia etc. I've travelled in S America before with a rucksack but since then hurt my back in a car accident. Therefore, for this next trip, am considering gettinga rucksack with wheels. (I can carry a bag, but want the choice). Does anyone know a good one? I've found online a Berghaus Jalan55L + day pack, and a couple by cragmoor and eastpak, but they are way too big at 80L.

I know a lot of the time i will need to carry it, not wheel it, but will be great to have the flexibilty when i can. Really want it to be light, not too big (55L is about right), not top loading - so open out like a suitcase, with straps as well as wheels.

I will def go and try lots on as thats the only way to really know (and am near london so have pick of the stores), but would be brill to get any feedback first And also any recos for places/shops to go too? But I will look up stockists of any recommended makes....

Thanks so much

Helen

I know nothing about rucksacks with wheels - they sound heavy - but I used to have atrolley something like this. This way, you may avoid buying a new rucksack? And only need to take the wheelie bits out with you when you think you'll need them!

Goon

I'm confused the Jalan looks to be just a rucksack, doesn't appear to have any wheels. Plus it's 70 ltrs - what are you planning to take?

Oz is a different story (personally I can't think of a good reason to go back again - $50 a day to sit still ) but in Asia there are loads of poor guys who will happily transport you and your pack on a tuk-tuk or motorcyle taxi for dollar or two. Much more willing and safer services available than S America

If you travel the civilised way you only have to carry your bag a few yards, it's too hot/cheap to do otherwise. If that'll be a problem with your back then a bag & trolley or a wheely travel case may be the best answer.

I managed to pick up an Osprey Meridian 75L for £30 at a Cotswold Rock Bottom "lets just get rid of it" sale. I have to say, its quite nice. Its not the lightest thing in the world, but if your just wanting it to walk around cities etc while "travelling" its quite good.

Lowe Alpine has the TT Take Off or TT Destination

http://www.lowealpine.com/eng/prod_app_det.php?catid=14&itemid=364&type=man

Hi Helen,

Might I reccommend the Osprey Meridian 60 for your trip perhaps? The Meridian series is both wheeled and has a stowable harness system, and features a removable daysack for smaller excursions.

More information can be found at www.ospreypacks.com, or feel free to drop me a line if you would like any further information on stockists or the Meridian itself.

I hope the above goes some way to helping you out.

Kind Regards,

Martin @ Osprey

VAUDE RUCSAC / WHEELED TRAVEL BAG - 70 LITRES BLACK

On fleabay now - not mine BTW, just seen it and remembered your thread.

HTH

Widdler

Hello

Thank you for all your help! Have been without internet for a week (always a pain , so catching up now. Will look at all these.

Thanks again

Helen

Widdler

Martin from Osprey.....

(sorry can't see how to email you directly!)

Please can you let me know roughly how much this pack is (there are no prices on your websites) and also a couple of stockists in central london?

thanks very much

osprey meridian 60

google is your friend

Mini Goon
    not with wheels but a good Travel pack from Aarn packs in NZ
    http://www.aarnpacks.com/products/earth_glider.html

Widdler
    I have a Jansport driver that I like very much, It is light and comfortable. I've not done a long walk with it but i'm sure it will be ok. I first got it for lugging things about on holiday and because I have a bad back a lot of rdagging. It is brilliant and now use it daily for traveling to and from work with my laptop and books in. I've found more info at rucksack with wheels

Well... in the middle of February I trekked through the mountains to the Playa de Guigui on Gran Canaria. I should have been all on my lonesome, but there was a full moon due and a couple of hundred people had trekked in before me and set up a 'Rainbow' camp. As I made my way through, they were still arriving. The paths are as rough, rocky and stony as any I've walked... and there she was... dragging a suitcase on wheels... and two kids in tow!

Initiate
    Rohan have just launched a new range of packs and luggage (www.rohan.co.uk). They do a thing called the Volition that is available in 60 and 40 litre sizes. To use it as a rucksack you have to fit a harness that is sold as an extra. If you want to use it as wheeled luggage again you have to pay extra for the wheeled frame. I suppose it does make for a fully flexible carrying system. But be warned the prices are eye watering to say the least. The 40 litre pack costs £160 and the 60 litre pack is £180. On top of this you have to buy the harness to "convert" it into a rucksack this costs another £50 or if you want the wheeled trolly option you need a chassis that will set you back another £50.

How the hell do they justify that?! Thats crazy money!!!

So a useful pack will cost £260 or £280 (with both options) - you can hire a lot of porters for that....

I prefer drinking my porter...Though I do know one who's available in darkest Hampshire......can't carry much but burns toast to a 't'

Never liked or got on with Rohan... a typical 'quirky' UK company with a hugely inflated opinion of itself... did I mention Paramo anywhere??