Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Julia's Coast-to-Coast walk hits the screens

Initiate
    Set the recorders: Julia Bradbury takes to the hills on our screens again next week Thursday 9 April on BBC4 at 8.30pm with the follow up to the Wainwright's Walks series.Coast-to-Coast walk

Is it just me that finds Julia's walking programs disappointingly dull, that climbing thing she did was excellent, but she absolutely fails to bring any enthusiasm to being outdoors in the walking programs.

Having now found the Julia Bradbury thread, it would apear it is just me.

Yeah just you.

Loved the wainwright walks and helped inspire me as a newbie to do it.

Wasnt overly fussed about the Railway walks mind, but looking forward to the Coast to Coast.

‹bermensch

Don,t stir Huskeyman up re Julia. She can carry my pack. I,d rather watch her than Wainright anyday.

I'll willingly follow her on a walk!

Monkey, I know what you mean - without wising to appear sexist, she reminds me of one of those girlfriends who is into whatever bands, or styles of music, that their latest boyfriend is into, without having any real love, or enthusiasm for the subject herself.

Hayley Dyer 3
    Oh I disagree, as a fellowfemale who loves the outdoors I can see a passion there. She's just not one of those bouncy, excitable presenters that's all.

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Space Pilot View Post
    Having now found the Julia Bradbury thread, it would apear it is just me.

Not at all. I can't watch them at all. I have never been so bored watching a pretty lass in my life. I still watch them just turn the sound off and listen to some music instead. I do get annoyed with her gucci-like walking trousers with the embroidered dragon or flowers on them. What is wrong with good, honest Craghoppers? Too good for her?

St Rick - That is sooo a good analogy. I reckon she is into it for the cameras, for her TV boyfriends the viewers and then really she is down at a sugarbabes of girls aloudconcert (or similar crap)or with the lasses getting boozed up over the weekend while her "boyfriend" is out walking with his mates. She doesn't come across as an enthusiastic walker just someone who is sound really enthusiastic about that old bluffer Wainwright. BTW I don't rate his books neither just the effort and anorakish attention to detail he put into them. They are not good for wlking with IMHO / IME. A good old map will tell you more than his books will.

Ultra King
    Hasn't she got more time after taking a step back from Crimewatch over something she did that was a bit naughty off screen? Wasn't the Crimewatch totty Bradbury too? Or am I mixing her up with someone else?

Almost, she stepped down from WAtchdog over allegations of air miles fraud.

Doesnt really matter she rarely wore a bikini in Watchdog....

Ultra King

Or on Wainwright walks. Didn't she have somethingless on the climbing programme when the weather wasa bit warm.

Its the Rough Guidethe one for you Jam Man. I still prefer Uma (see earlier thread about JB).

How sad that discussions like this always seem to come down to what she wears

And as for the 'in it for the TV boyfriends' theory..... what a load of completely unsubstantiated, condescending rubbish!

Of course Leo Houlding only climbs to get on telly and look cool....

Don't you know Ray Mears got into bushcraft to pull the birds (and don't you just love that jungle-chic look of his...)

Bonnington - can you ever take him seriously with that beard!!! Perhaps he should be interviewed in a bikini, it might make him sound more interesting?

Funny how men appearing in outdoor programmes never attract the same level of schoollboy-esque comment/ observation!

Btw, I'm not a Bradbury/Wainwright 'fan' - I find some of the walking programmes quite watchable, others not (the climbing one was very entertaining though).

Hayley Dyer 3
    Exactly Matt - unfortunately I think a lot of men think women do this to attract the opposite sex. Nothing could be further from the truth. Very few women who like adventure willget girly, girly and giggly about it all. In fact we get out there often to escape from menfolk! I agree that some of the programmes are more watchable than others, but she's definately the sort of woman I'd get along with. And I love those trousers! I hope I never come across you when out walking 'Time to Go' as I'm sure you wouldn't approve of some of the things that I wear

Ultra King

Some think Julia does not come across as an enthusiastic walker or it islike she has an ulterior motive or she is not really into walking. Kind of like the sort of walker who does it because their partner is really into it. It could have been a man doing it because his girlfriend is into it but the person we are making this analogy about is female means the posters use the analogy of a woman doing it for the boyfriend. It could also be about two gay partners to but since it was a straight female being discussed the girlfriend analogy was used. BTW I came from a whtewater kayaking background and trust me you meet a lot of women in that sport who so blatently fit that description.

In light of the people who are TV presenters who do like the outdoors and who have more of an enthusiastic presentational style I question the reason why you would have such a presenter for these programmes. Does it come down to her other assets I wonder? Judging by the previous JB thread I would tend to think yes! Of course someone could start a thread about someone else, say Ben Fogle?

And Hayley Dyer 3 I approve of most of what she wears in the outdoors its just those trousers. I have never disapproved of any other outdoor clothing worn by others before unless it is inappropriate such as none-Alpkit Jeanius jeans or cottonclothing in winter. It is just that I don't know of any outdoorsclothing companiesthat do embroidered trousers and wonder where she gets them and if they are just normal street or town types or something more suitable for the UK mountain weather. It is irrational and not like me but there you go. And as far as your comments about me not liking what you wear in the hills All I can say is judging by your conehead jacket in your profile I reckon you wear proper outdoors suitable clothing. I think Metric Kate also wears the conehead down jacket. Don't take any offence about the conehead comment, I reckon it is just the shape of the jacket hood not you.

I personally question inappropriate clothing inthe outdoors such as easily snaggable embroidary as I doubt you get that on decent outdoors stuff. Most outdoors stuff is bland and boring which is as it should be. EIther that or totally tasteless such as the lurid oranges and greens that you sometimes see like in Haglofs oz tops.

Of course the first JB thread objectivised her so I guessthis threadis just another slight on her. And some women also took part in that.

I personally don't watch her stuff beyonf a few minutes because I don't find her a good presenter for anything outside the study type of "affairs" tpye of programme (consumer or current).

Ultra King

Matt - does everything on this forum have to be substantiated? Have you been to some of the other long standing threads such as the Windy thread? Condescending? Yes, so what? Can't people have opinions or use analogies such as the boyfriend / partner thread. And BTW in the club level kayaking community it is mainly a male activity and you do get a lot of lasses who at least start doing it for their partners. You also get some that stop doing it when they split up with said partners. I have remained friends with somewomen like that and it was not a negative thing to do something that you are not into in order to spend time with a partner who is really into it. This is called being supportive.

TV presentation is different in that these sorts of programmes show non-partakers what it is like to get out there. To instill enthusiasm in people. How can you do that if the target audience doesn't get that from your presentation?

BTW you are right about peoples' different attitudes to male and female presenters. I reckon it is through the industry too as well as a lot of the audience. Also men are more prone to puerile homour. What can you do except become a windy?

Does anyone remember Wainwright's TV appearances? I do and I must admit they were more enjoyable than JB's The two guys had something worth listening to. I wonder if it is on DVD somewhere. I don't remember him wearing a bikini Jam Man so I doubt you'd be interested.

Time to go

"does everything on this forum have to be substantiated?" - No, of course not, but if you're questioning someone's motives in a somewhat disparaging way then I reckon a bit of evidence wouldn't go amiss. Especially as the person in question isn't a regular OMer and is unlikely to come along to defend themselves.

"Have you been to some of the other long standing threads such as the Windy thread?" - err, yes, and others longer standing than that. So what? What's so good about Windy? To me anyway it's not a good example of what OM is about and certainly not how I'd be happy for it all to be.

"Also men are more prone to puerile homour. What can you do except become a windy? " - perhaps point it out and hope that they might question it's place on a public forum open to all including women?

Anyway, enough of this. I've got a Windy Meet to attend!!

Time to go......!!

Wainwright walked for love of it Julia does it for money

*Removed*

Can't be arsed.

‹bermensch

I would,nt put it quite the way Kev did but I,m with him on that.