Thread: Leaving stuff at bothies

‹bermensch
    I was at Backhill of Bush bothy, in Galloway, at the weekend and it was pretty bad ? habitable, but only just. A major part of the problem was that people had left food there, and it just made me wonder what they'd been thinking of. Did they really think anybody else was going to eat it?
    I suppose I might, if desperate, use dried stuff left in a bothy, like pasta, but somebody had left a tub of margarine, and there was also a 2l bottle of milk, sitting in the sun. Were those responsible stupid, or just too idle to carry out the remains of what they'd brought in?

It's a problem in a lot of bothies Guy. I put it down to laziness.

‹bermensch
    Seen it a lot as well Mike, but it always makes me wonder.

I thought Backhill of Bush was far enough from the road to avoid that sort of thing. Clearly not.

Backhill of Bush far from the road? The problem is that folk drive along all the forest roads now. I've even seen a bus on the forest road passing White Laggan!

Sure, those Galloway Hills bothies get to be absolute tips, full of smelly rubbish and obviously used as toilets. Then every once in a blue moon they get a thorough clean-out, only to get trashed again within a week.

As far as leaving food goes, I have mixed feelings. Leaving food that goes off quickly is pretty stupid, although I've had people offer me perishable food as they were walking out of the door, and gratefully accepted. I've also been grateful to find canned food and non-perishable foodstuffs left in bothies, allowing me to prolong my enjoyment of the hills before having to bail out to go shopping. There was a time I used to be able to live off the 'spare food' shelves in Youth Hostels, but 'Health & Safety' has put paid to all that.

Widdler
    It's mostly laziness I think. Having said that, I've eaten plenty of food that has been left by others in bothies but only where it is clear that it's safe to do so.

It appears to be a common practice,annoying, for bothies to be usedas a dumping ground for exessive gear, food, disposable BBQ, empty bottles supposedly left as candle holders despite numours other bottles left for that purpose, things stuck in the fireplace which wouldn't even burn at home. The list could go on but those who leave these items probably don't subscribe to OM.

Gascanisters. A double standard operates for some people. The thought process goes:

There is is not enough left in this one to bother carrying it out. Noteven to use up on the next trip with a car. But the same amount will be a godsend to someone else who turns up once I'm out of sight. Oh definitely.

I don't see a problem leaving tinned food, especially treats rather than staples. More pleasure in finding a small tin of fruit,sardines or pate, rather than beans.

Over timeI had been a large amount ofarmy "Compo" rations, and as I don't drink tea/coffee, etc, I had accumulated a fair amount of the stuff. I recently took it in to Culra, and left it. I also happily took a compo chocolate pudding which was left, and I left a chicken, mushroom and pasta in exchange.

I don't leave anything which is fresh and could go off, neither would I use any which I found.

As for gas, one guy arrived and thought he had left his gas canister behind, so the few gas canisters left in the bothy would have come in handy, although to be honest, leaving them is laziness.

A year ago at Luib-chonnalthere was so much tinned food already there thatwhen we left, we arranged it beautifully,on the table in the splendidupstairs room. What with the plastic flowers in a vase, it looked like primaryschool harvest festival. (Have they died out btw?)

Edited for typo

Does the upstairs room at Luib-chonnal?sp still have the 3 piece leather suite Mr Justice? Very comfy.

No. But the chandelier is still there. In fact Iswang from it while angroup of athletic Scandinavians...NO NO NO it has to stop.

Anyway the real answer is no. Velux windows and a new staircase though.

That's a pity. I had a very comfy night there 2 or 3 years ago. Plenty of logs and saws in the downstairs room.

Still there.