Thread: Ressurection of walking interest

Widdler

First post daunting on a new forum, especially on a subject I'm un-knowledgeable about, although from reading you all seem very friendly!

I've recently rediscovered the like for walking in the country, having been brought up going on walks to the peak district as my parents are from there, and we don't live all that far away really! I'm still only 22 so on the young side, and am encouraging my girlfriend to come with me more as she can get a bit lazy (if you ever meet her, I never said that!) because she is still at uni (all right for some ).

Anyhow, rounding to the point. There are 2 reasons for posting for your advice. Firstly, my waterproof by phoenix that I've had for 7 or 8 years is on its last legs, I lost the fleece inner jacket years ago, and there are several punctures in the coat, and several tries at re-proofing have failed. My parents have said they will buy me a decent new coat for christmas(and a forgotten birthday), and I have been poring over the websites (internet junky anyone?) getting more and more confused. Some people say Paramo is the way to go for waterproof stuff, others eVENT, and yet more Goretex.

Well, they all say it depends on what you're after. I tend to run hot, so layering will be my best bet, and people tend to say Paramo can be quite warm. I have been looking at the 3 in 1 jackets by the likes of Berghaus with goretex in the shops. Whether that will enable me to wear a t-shirt underneath when going on a longer jaunt, I don't know.

Would I be better buying a waterproof shell that works with a fleece, and then buying a seperate fleece so I could use that if I wanted? I am planning on walking more frequently, especially in the peak district, nice scenery and free to do (minus a tiny bit of petrol) .

Any reccomendations, or tips would be welcome.

Secondly! In an effort to get the girlfriend more involved with walking I'm taking her away to the Lake District in January for her birthday. Now, because I'm a bit stupid I mentioned Skiddaw to her (she wants to climb/walk up a mountain before she's 25) and she's very keen to do that, but we're both amateurs and in January I'm thinking that the conditions will be unsuited to us with our amateur gear. Am I right in thinking that?

If I am right, do you guys have any ideas as to a medium walk say around 8 miles, that wouldn't be too hairy in January!

thanks for any advice

bright

Hi Bright, welcome to the forums.

Good to see your walking interest has kicked back in. Im sure there are plenty of folks around here that can advise you on the sort of walk your looking for in the Lakes area, no doubt many post will follow.

As for waterproof gear, there is plenty of advice and reviews on here in the gear section if you root around, but I would go to the shops and try stuff on to see what you like and what suits you best. (Oh suits you sir) I use a thin waterproof shell layer and control my comfort and temperature with base and midlayers, so my waterproofs are suitable for year round use.

Happy walking.

Ultra King

bright

Welcome to the forum , just one piece of advice. Don't spend to much time persuading your girlfriend to go up mountains with you, they tend to lose interest the first time they need the toilet.

mick

Welcome to OM, bright! And ignore mick's sexist remarks!!

I have a tendency to run hot too and though I wear Paramo when the temperature's around or below freezing, most of the time I use a waterproof shell (eVent because it's a bit more breathable than goretex), and layer if necessary with a microfleece.

Welcome to the OM forum there bright.

Welcome to the forum Bright .

Your first post will open a can of worms and baffle you no end on the gore/event/paramo front so like Hillfoot Bazza says go to a shop speak to the staff tell them that you run hot etc and see if they can help,try a few different shops to see if they come up with the same answer/product that would "suit you sir" .

As for a first mountain Skiddaw is a good choice as it simple enough,Take plenty of warm layers for stops,nice hot flask.Make sure you can navigate yourselfs off if the weather comes down.

And most of all have fun fun fun.

DIDSTER!!

Widdler

thanks for the warm welcome anyone. Now to just find a shop that isn't Blacks or Millets... Living in Lincolnshire has its downfalls for the fact there aren't many hills, thus not many outdoor shops generally! Will have to see if I can find anywhere decent in Nottingham next week and have a look through whats on offer

Bright

You could always save the cash until you go to the Lakes and by that time the sales will be on .Squillions of gear shops there .

Just a thought.

Also what town are you staying near when you take the girlfriend to the Lakes.?

Hi Bright... aaaaand welcome to the forum!!!

Unfortunately, unlike rings, no coat will rule them all.

Paramo is very good in cold weather - I was out today (no wind, rainy 5 degrees) in just a base layer and Paramo and felt slightly warm walking fast, you can wear it with nothing underneath though. When it's breezy and chilly I don't think anything can compare. (See also Furtec and Cioch for similar products.)

Never tried Event, but it gets rave reviews. I was chatting with the climber guys in my local shop the other day, they use Event climbing in the Alp's (fairly dry and cold) but switch back to Goretex for UK rainy walking days.

Sooo... Goretex maybe your best bet all round if it's your only jacket. Though, I run hot and find it sweaty.

Personally, I tend to use a windproof smock and lightweight (but a bit more sweaty) waterproof for most conditions and Paramo for cooler days.

Welcome to the world of a gear addict, have fun!!!

Ultra King
    The best bit of advice I can give is, learn how to use a map and compass! NO matter what else, clothes are great for what they do, BUT if you can't 'navigate' you could get into serious trouble!!! I started off with what would now be laughed at, but if they keep you warm and 'outside' dry that might be all you need to find if your going to keep it up! Thers'e no point spending a lot of money for things you may not use again. BUT you need to be able to read a map & use a compass, they can save your life, get you home, than the best clothing in the world!!

Widdler

Apologies for the slow reply, been out of touch with reality with a touch of the flu, still made it to Nottingham today though. Had a nice walk from the station to Cotswold's shop, and had a look at Field and Trek's shop.

I've cut it down to 2 jackets from the ones that I tried on, the Berghaus Axis Jacket and the Rab Bergen, both fit well and were comfortable without being too long/short. Anyone got experience with either of the jackets? Otherwise its just looking for a bargain now!

Looking more at the Lakes, it's Keswick we're off to in Jan, and the girlfriend doesn't have decent boots, more like Goretex trainers (from Clark's as she works there, nice 75% discount) and looking at the soles they don't really seem suitable for mountain trekking in January! Even my Mid boots I'd be a bit wary of in the snow/ice. So I'm looking round to see if we can have a walk round Derwent water , in bits and pieces.

thanks for the help

Widdler

Hi Bright, I'm a newbie too and probably not far from your age too! I also live just outside the Peak District.

If you are looking for some good shops try calling into the outside shop after a walk in the peak, the staff are really knowledgable and they have a great cafe for refuelling!!! They have a branch in hathersage and one at calver (which has parking - bonus!). Hathersage has a few other outdoor shops too but the outside shop is normally my first choice if I'm looking for friendly advice (or breakfast).

On the subject of coats I wouldn't bother with the three in one type coats, my other half has one but I think it is always too much of a compromise. Fleece is also heavy and bulky to stash in your rucksack. I use a lightweight waterproof shell, just for when it rains, mine is goretex paclite from berghaus and although now a few years old it is great. You may well get something more advanced now though. Then use a base layer and a midlayer underneath, you can't go wrong with Helly Hansen for a base layer, but if you are feeling flush icebreaker make some lovely merino base layers too. I use a microfleece as a mid layer which in Derbyshire is enough with the baselayer and no coat most of the year.

The advantage of a DIY layering system is that you can tailor it to precisely your specifications and you can replace or add to the different bits as and when you need to. If you're skint you can buy a waterproof shell for under £100 to get started, the rest you can use your old gear until you can afford some more up dated technical stuff.

Enjoy!

PS if you are just starting out and are a bit wobbly about navigation etc join a hiking club for a while until you feel confident planning and following a route, you'll find plenty of experienced people who know the area and are willing to help.

Ultra King
    I would agree with Simon, for your first few walks don't tryto tackle anything to hard/ high. Might otherwise put you off, or due to time of year, get you into things you not used to, or maybe able to cope with yet. In the Lake District there are plenty of low to mid level walks to get your 'interest'.

Widdler

Yeah, she's none too happy about it after I said we could have a go, and am now slowly backtracking after realising how stupid I was to say it! Ah well, she'll get to see the mountain we'll go up at least, even if it isn't this time

I remember reading in some part of the forum that Cotswold can do price matching, do you reckon they'd knock off £40-50 for a price match as thats a fair old chunk? Found the Bergen and the Axis for arond £150, both the 08 versions I believe, although the 09 for the berghaus is out and about now but I can't see any major differences between the 2 apart from £20!

I seem to be leaning towards the Berghaus, because its a name i know more than RAB, but a lot of people have given them good reviews. Problem is both jackets were comfortable! lol

Widdler

I'm hoping with some care it'll last me 5 years if I'm lucky, I managed about 7 with my phoenix. Easy choice now you made me look at it, will try and find a bargain 08 and get on with it.

I pointed the girlfriend to your responses here last night, and although she still wasn't happy I think I got through to her the fact its more dangerous than she thinks, and that we're unprepared for the challenge as of yet. She still wants to go up this year though so I think we're going to have to get in training for it

thanks for all the help, I'll continue lurking and learning

Widdler
    bright - when you're in the lakes, why not do Cat Bells? It's not particularly high, but at least it feels like you've been upa hill.

Welcome Bright

If your in the Skiddaw areaI can recommend Griesdale Pike as a good one for beginners , We do this one with Scouts in the summer and its a good straight up and back down again but feels mountainous with fantastic valley views and a nice beck and waterfall if the visibility is good.

Most of all where ever you end up, enjoy ot and try not to tear the arse out of the walk by rushing

Widdler

cheers for the 2 suggestions. I had seen the cat bells walk which i was looking at so it reinforces that, hadn't heard of griesdale peak though so will be worth a look at!

cheers

Widdler

So we're off on friday to Keswick, definately doing Catbells (Wainwright's walks on over christmas has been useful ) and maybe a short walk around part of derwent water whilst we're there.

Found a bargain for my coat, I think its an '08 Ogre from mountain equipment. For a mere £150 from Field and Trek in Nottingham. The bargains racked up with a few more purchases, a short term rucksack Berghaus Freeflow 20, a north face micro fleece tka100 for £20, and a full tka 200 for £30. Just need some trousers now

We went up mam tor on new years eve which was fun, up from castleton past the hollowford centre (for those that know it) up to hollins cross, and then up to mam tor and down via the old road.

Haven't done that in a good few years, the ice up the backroads past hollowford provided some entertainment for my girlfriend. She walked on the dry bits, me confident with my boots went over the ice carefully, had to stop to look why she'd fallen behind a little and ended up sliding about 10 yards down the road. Least i didn't end up on my arse though Rest of the walk went well, although the condensation in my girlfriend'scheap regatta waterproof was rather amusing (to me at least )

Will post some photos (mobile phone shots, need to get a camera at some point) after the lakes weekend

Cheers for the help so far

Glad it went well, bright, hope the GF enjoyed it too; have a great weekend in the Lakes