Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wood for making walking sticks

‹bermensch

And it's probably trespass, unless it's CRoW land or other woodland the public has access to. Why not approach a landowner/farmer and ask? They may point you in the right direction for suitable wood.

Another idea: Check out hedgelaying courses near you, go on one and help yourself to what you fancy. Or try National Trust wardens, often helpful.

Initiate

2 years ago i coppiced 3 acres of hazel i lease----hundreds of walking sticks worth---would i have notced if you had nicked one----probably not---would i have cared----definitely not----farmers have a lot more serious things to worry about----machinery theft/animal theft/sheep worrying/etc/etc-----regards lr

Goon

You'll probably like this website, if you don't know it already

www.thestickman.co.uk

Search Google for 'walking stick making forum' and there are several references

‹bermensch

'would i have cared----definitely not----farmers have a lot more serious things to worry about----machinery theft/animal theft/sheep worrying/etc/etc-----regards lr'

I disagree with the 'would I have cared' bit above. If a farmer spots someone creeping around in his woods, by his hedges or whatever, he will wonder what the hell you are doing there. Are you casing the joint, preparing to nick something, are you preparing to rustle stock, might you leave gates open, etc etc. It is much better, surely, to be upfront and ask if you might look for stick material?

Find out who 'lays' hedges around your area - they will have access to an endless supply of suitable material.

‹bermensch

I prefer Ash or Holly to Hazel ,definitely stronger and the bark is much more able to stand hard usage . If you find /obtain a suitable stick and it's slightly bent.Whilst it's still fresh cut,hang it, thick end upwards in a dry situation with a weight ,house brick or similar tied to the thinner end for a couple of months or the chances are it will curve/bend even more. Straight sticks of walking stick thickness tend to come from coppiced woodland as they grow pretty straight from the base plant. Cheers.