Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood for making walking sticks

Thanks for those links, Trev. I was wondering if anyone did stick-making 'starter kits' like these. Daft thing is, though, those dry sticks cost more than some fully made walking sticks?? Why offer sticks that the buyer has to complete themselves, at a higher price thancomplete and finished sticks?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Carpenter View Post

An awful lot of useful looking information including a dedicated and seemingly quite active forum at - http://www.thestickman.co.uk/hobby.htm.

The main UK woods are apparently Hazel, Ash, Blackthorn and Holly with others possible. Not sure what mine are made of but they certainly work nicely (my father made them from wood from the garden.).
    Thanks, Martin. I'll get myself over there and start asking some questions.

The answer there to your question Billy is to do with the pride of diy making one's own walking stick, as being an added selling point in their eyes I suspect; allowing the retailers to possibly then extort more monies from the occasional gullible buyer, with monies to burn maybe, in some cases. But obviously not in all cases of course, plus then there's the fact that it is a much smaller marketplace being sold to there perhaps too, of folks evenwanting to diy their own sticks anyways in the first place. So they charge more to re-coup some costs in supplying that smaller market maybe.

Widdler

Billy,

Check out E'bay. Search stick making. Bloke selling barley twist hazel sticks ready to make. 2 going for £4 quid odd at the moment. Sorry dont know how to do the quick link thing .Loads of other bits on there as well ,antler , ferrules etc.

Ebay, of course!!!

Thanks, Orius

Ah, well, that didn't prove to be quite as beneficial as I thought. I was hoping to find a 'buy it now' seasoned shank, but £10 was about the cheapest! Silly really, when with a little effort I can find my own.

Billy, were you maybe thinking of turning this hobby into a little cottage industry there to make some funds maybe then, or just merely wishing just to do yourself a nice walking stick perhaps?

Just an idea I came up with, Trev, just a stick for myself. But if I'm good at it, then who knows? I must confess the price of sticks on the net makes me think it wouldn't be a bad venture!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...aking+supplies Try taking a look here at this link then maybe. Lots of leads there to suppliers to follow up. Or here small link. -search term into Google engine was 'stick making supplies'.

There's a chap locally here who travels the area supplying sticks he makes to all of the country supplies clothing shops, gunshops, craft shops, and even sweetshop/tobacconists traditional type stores, you see. That is how he makes apparently a fairly good living.

Billy, there's a site called the Stickman that has some good stuff on it. Also various woodcarving sites. Google 'carving a tree spirit' or summat similar...you'd be surprised at how many people do this for a hobby!

How's this for a bit of good fortune? My sister has Hawthorn and Blackthorn growing in her front and back garden! She's only just told me, mind, after night had fallen, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if there's anything suitable.

Thanks for all the replys and advice everyone. I'll keep you posted, maybe even post a pic of the stick once it's built... I'm afraid I simply don't have the patience for the 1-2 years of seasoning, though, so expect a pic soon. I'll do a 'before and after'

Watch your hands on the thorns there mate!Gloves wearing time for definite sure I think! I once got myself well cut up on a Hawthorn bush, and my hands took a week to heal up too; as the cuts got quite infected because I did not treat them with antiseptic straight off upon injury!

http://www.british-trees.com/guide/hawthorn.htm A really good reference resource for all woods/trees useshere I think, by the way.

I make walking sticks, the best stick to use is hazel you will be able to find them in most woodland. The reason that they are so expensive to buy ready to use is the collecter will spend days trying to find the sticks, then they have to be left to dry (season) which takes 10 - 12 months. rather than paying for seasond wood to do the head, crook, or what ever you want to design, it would be better for you to buy one that has already been cut to shape, this will be around £6 - £8 from the stick man at hemsley, he is a great bloke that will give you all the advice you could need, he isnt that expensive compared to most

If you dont live to far away from durham I will give you all you need to make your first stick free of charge, and give you what advice I can

Welcome to the forum there Mark, a most kind offer there indeed! Hope that Billy sees this though, as he is not very regular to the forum these days sadly. I for one miss his posts too! Maybe try pm'ing him through his site inbox about that grand offer there? Simply go to his last post in this thread and click on his name at the top, and it will open up his forum profile details for contact direct.

Actually, no worries on pm'ing him Mark, I've had the pleasure myself there of informing him of your nice posts to his thread!

Ultra King

Old Hazel coppices are very common and will yield 3 or 4 really good thumbsticks every 20 square yards and a few more unnotched sticks that can be steamed and bent or left straight and drilled for a leather thong/handle arrangement.

Good Ash sticks can only be made from youngish growth of coppiced ash and this is much harder to find since the production of charcoal and gardening tool handles and the like has largely moved abroad.

Thanks trevor I hope he gets in contact with me, would be nice to start him off, some one did the same for me a while ago