Thread: Wild Swimming or Wild Swim

Anyone seen both of these books?

a) Wild Swim: River, Lake, Lido and Sea: the Best Places to Swim Outdoors in Britain http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Swim-Pl...EN1YY8GPP0SR7X

b) Wild Swimming: 150 Hidden Dips in the Rivers, Lakes and Waterfalls of Britain http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Swimmin...2182080&sr=8-1

Any thoughts on which might be the better book for finding lots of great places for a swim in England and Wales? Sounds to me like the second one (Wild Swimming) might be more practical and the first one might be more of a so-called "coffee-table book" - then again the second one has more, even when you discount the lidoo.

Goon

I've dipped into both of these books and would say b) is better suited to OMers. a) has a distinct southern focus - nothing wrong with that but it means it misses many opportunities for high mountain swims and includes very little from Scotland for example. However it does seem to point to a whole host of lowland rivers and pools which I would never normally think of.

The problem with a) is that it mentions (and thereby promotes) some of my favourite out of the way swimming spots which I've jealously guarded for many years! One of these - although I guess many people will know it - are the falls running along the bottom bit of the Watkin Path. The top pool hereis the best forleaping in after coming down off Snowdon, but there are several here and I've swam on the way up and on the way back. But perhaps we needn't worry that these books will suddenly lead to crowds of people seking out hidden special swimming spots - it grades the walk up to the Watkin pools as "difficult"!!!

I would say the best swims will always be those unexpected ones you find yourself - a little pool high up in the Moelwyns, or the high lochans on Slioch for instance. Always take sandals with you and then just jump in...

But better than either of these books is Waterlog by Roger Deakin - a classic, where he even swims along part ofthe Leeds Liverpool Canal, and also tests the Corryvreckan!

Thanks Tubby.

I thought I'd prefer (b), but if (a) has a more southern focus and also promotes some of your favourite places then I think I'll go for that instead

Waterlog sounds good, less a reference book and more of a good read?

I think I'll get Waterlog now and save the other one for Christmas.

Do you know of any good places in Kent?

I am about to move to Tonbridge and wouldn't mind a dip before winter!

Goon

Kent is a complete no man's land to me I'm afraid! River Medway?

Someone lent me a wet suit for half an hour whilst in the Hebrides this summer - suddenly there I was happily swimming in a cold sea looking straight out to the Cuillins - consequently this is now definately on my Christmas list!

Ultra King

Bewl water is strictly NO swimming,

How about the sea at Camber sands?

Ultra King

Here you go Simon..

www.river-swimming.co.uk

Thanks Michael!

Camber is Sussex by the way.

There is a very nice beach at Botany Bay, between Broadstairs and Margate (nr Kingsgate). I've never had a problem finding good places to swim in the sea, but any guidance for good river swimming spots would be most welcome!

thanks for the link as well (work won't let me access it, I'll check it tonight)

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonx View Post

Thanks Michael!

Camber is Sussex by the way.

er, i know, i used to live there

Widdler

Daniel Start's just brought out a salt-water companion to his original "Wild Swimming":

Wild Swimming: Coast

And a lovely book it is too.

My ha'porth on the previous "which is best?" discussion: Kate Rew's Wild Swim felt like higher quality, and was better value when I bought it - though prices fluctuate on Amazon. It's available now as a (cheaper) paperback too. According to Amazon, the page count has increased from 208 to 304. Additional content? I don't know. But Daniel Start's two books are probably more useful as hands-on guides to where and how to find the locations. Buy them all, you won't be disappointed.

Hayley Dyer 3

Try joining the Outdoors Swimming Society:

Outdoors Swimming Society

I've been signed up their newsletter for some months now.

Quote Originally Posted by tubby turbot View Post

The problem with a) is that it mentions (and thereby promotes) some of my favourite out of the way swimming spots which I've jealously guarded for many years! One of these - although I guess many people will know it - are the falls running along the bottom bit of the Watkin Path.
    That's fine with me. That way no one knows about the even better swimming spot that's quite close by but unknown

Last time I stopped on the Afon Cwm Llan there I was soon joined by four photographers, and four teenage lads who lit up a spliff. Wonderful solitude

Goon
    I think I've had a swim in all the pools up there, so I'm not saying which are my top secret favourites!

hi, I am despertaly trying to find somewhere good to swim near Newbury. I hvnt lived here long so I'm not very familiar with the area at all. Am heading up to Oxford on my day off on Weds so am going to take a map and try and sniff out some new pools but if anyone has any suggestion of where I should point my car please let me know!
    Thanks, H

What do people know about british leaches? I seen them a number of times swimming around... but never heard of anyone thats had one bit them.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman john View Post
    What do people know about british leaches?
    Normally found in Westminster?

Goon
    [*]Hannah[*][*]A beautiful weir pool on the Thames at Buscot, towards Lechlade, lined by willow trees and rope swings with grassy National Trust lawns for sunbathing

Above taken from Wild Swimming website

Some people also refer to Port Meadow by the Thames in Oxford