Thread: Kit weight for 6 weeks

Mini Goon

Mrs. Neath Nath and I are lucky enough to be heading to New Zealand for 6 weeks in November/December and we're planning to carry everything on our backs and we're taking the tent and all our camping gear. How much weight and volume do you reckon I should expect?

I'm no light weight freak but I was hoping to keep my pack to about 30kg and the missus' below 20kg - she'll need a new pack but I again was hoping to fit my share in my 70L pack. Is this realistic do you reckon?

I've never attempted such a long trip nor so far away - does anyone more experienced have any helpful tips or info?

ps - Bring on Mount Aspiring!

Maybe i'm missing something, but just take what you normally take on a camping trip? Have a rucksack that is big enough for however many days food you will need.

Hello there

Much depends on how much food you expect to have to carry from the start. Setting that on one side for a moment...

These days, it really shouldn't be necessary for either of you to carry more than about 10-12kg baseweight (i.e. without food and water) whether your trip is going to last 3 days or 6 weeks, particularly bearing in mind that you can share the weight of things like tent and cooking equipment between you. Quite a lot of peeps these days would reduce that really quite significantly, but much depends upon what the two of you need to actually enjoy yourselves. I take things (camera, mp3 player, comfortable mattress, book(s) etc) that some peeps would leave behind, and it's in areas like that that we all need to decide how to make our personal compromise between weight and comfort.

Even so, though, with the lightweight kit now available it really should be possible for you to be carrying no more than 10-12kg baseweight and*still* taking things to make life enjoyable.

Food is heavy, though, so if you need to carry a lot then your weights are going to increase.

So, in order to help peeps give you more constructive assistance, can you say:

- how many days' food you expect to have to carry at any stage;

- what tent you plan to take;

- what rucksack, mattress, sleeping bag and stove you plan to carry?

Fwiw, I've been using a 50L pack (Osprey Atmos, because that one is comfortable for me) for a number of years now, whether I'm going out for 2 days or 3 weeks. I'd be taking it for any extended backpacking trip, because really the basic kit doesn't need to change a great deal (assuming a person plans to camp and cook).

It sounds like a wonderful trip! Can I come? *g*

p.s. you don't say how experienced you are at this sort of thing, and you might be looking for some pointers on what you might expect to have to carry. If that's the case then take a scan at the list of stuff I recently took (and left at home) when I walked for 14 days in Corsica. It's just a starting point, and others have similar lists. I found this sort of list very helpful when I first got back into this sort of walking, though. Welcome to backpacking Corsican kit list here.

Almost the same comment; how much between you?

Just to illustrate the differences in approach (maybe)...I did the GR20 year before and carried 6 max Kgs camping.....I will spare all the account though.

On a recent trip carrying all food for two for two weeks the load was 25+ kgs (I was too scared to weigh it).

Carry less; you will have more fun

how much between you?

Same sentiment. Different suggestion ratio

Mini Goon

Thanks, that's reassuring!

Peewiglet, Here is my equipment -

- Max 5 days food at any time I reckon, usually less.

- Tent is a Mountain Equipment Torres 2XT

- My pack is a Berghaus C7 bioflex, 75L - Missus needs a new one.

- Stove is currently a Trangia but that's under review.

- Bed Rolls are Blacks Technicals self inflaters x2 (about 700g each) and bog standard closed cell foam matts x2.

- Sleeping bags are about 2.5kg for the pair - don't know the brands but they aren't swish - only good for down to approx 0 degrees C (and the missus would argue with that!), so I was thinking about getting fleecy liners in case it gets cold. Gonna take some Alpkit bivvi bags too.

I've alwaysbeen more'Full spec'than 'Ultra light' and I will tend to take a full pack with me on even day hikes - (it's good training!) To be honest, 20kg doesn't phase me. But then I've never been out for 6 weeks, so I thought 'd better take notice of the weight for this one.

Watch out for those New Zealand sheep, Neath Nath. I'm told they're even noisier at night than those Welsh ones round Cader Idris

Mini Goon

That maybe true Kate, but I doubt this time I'll end up sleeping on any of them . . .

Peewiglet, your webiste is great!I wanna do the GR20 now!

Hi there,

When you go off on a trek you can leave spare clothes, flip flops, books, toiletries and writing things filling the space with food.

Travelling I normally take: Zip off trousers, shorts, 3 prs undies, 3 pairs socks, walking T, light fleece, synthetic insulated top (Berghaus lightest at 280g), cross trainers, flip flops, waterproofs or poncho, umbrella, 2 short sleeve shirts and a long one, hat, gloves and a wind top. I'd probably swap the flip flops for sandals in NZ are there are a lot of rivers to cross on the treks.

David

I find it really depends on the weather and your comfort levels. I walked the GR10 last summer and this ar completed the South west coast path and the Haute Route and at no point carried more than 20kg. But again it depends on the person. Food wise for two people we tend to go for something like:

200g of museli mixed with milk powder

200g of risotto/couscous mixed with curry powder or the like

200g pasta with chrizo and packet soups

It's not lightweight by any means but keeps you chugging away up the hlls and is designed for someone who is constantly hungry. Also extras like biscuits and the kind aren't included if they were the weight would be far higher!

Of course it's a good idea to carry one or 2 meals more than needed just incase you turn up to a closed shop or are slower than expected. Also your weight depends on how your comfort level rates, if you only take a small amount of clothing willthe weather support this and if you can't wash them regularlywhile hating the feel of a cardboard t-shirt it may be in your favour to take one or two spare shirts etc. You may also prefer to take other comforts while going lighter in other areas such as a book or mp3 player or even something like a pillow but again its personal choice.

Mini Goon

Billy, I'm honoured to recieve your first post of advice!

This is all helpful stuff - thanks guys! Apart from you Kate - you and the sheep know exactly where you can go!