Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleveland Way

Has anyone "done" the Cleveland Way? If so have you camped on the route? I wanna do this path in the summer (FMD permitting) and want to use my new tent! I also want to take along my new dog for company...

Any hints and tips, any web-site diaries you've come across, any ideas for over-nighting in the tent, and any tips about long-distancing with a dog would be very greatfully recieved.

Ta very much,
    Alex

Widdler
    Hi Alex. I was thinking of doing the cleveland waay once FMD is over. If you fancy some human company give us a shout. I had planned it for the summer but that does'nt look as thoughit will happen.

Ultra King Dave O aka Jungle Dave ;)'s Avatar
    Forgive the ignorance here but where does it start and finish?

I'm planning to do it in early august, so hopefully thing should have calmed down by then!

It runs 110miles from Helmsley to Filey, through the N York Moors and then down the Yorkshire coast.

Gonna do it with my dog at the moment, and camp along the way. Camp sites arn't a problem once the path hits the coast, but in land it has been a problem to find anywhere without having full 25 mile day route marches, and that is something that my dog isn't looking forward to.

Ah ha that explains everything ta!

Widdler
    Alex,

I did the Cleveland Way about 14 years ago, so my memory may not be as sharp as it could be, but me and my two friends divided it up as follows:

Day 1 - Helmsley to Osmotherley (Hostel overnight)
    Day 2 - Osmotherley to Kildale (camped overnight)
    Day 3 - Kildale to Saltburn (hostel, but now gone)
    Day 4 - Saltburn to Whitby (hostel)
    Day 5 - Whitby to Scarborough (hostel)
    Day 6 - Scarborough to Filey.

As you can see, we only camped one night, but this was in a farmer's field on the outskirts of Kildale. I can't remember if we pre-booked or just showed up, but there were definitely other people in the same field so I think the site was somewhat established. To get to Kildale from Osmotherley on the second day was a bit of a trek, but it all worked out well in the end.

I can thoroughly recommend the Cleveland Way. It takes in some great scenery, visits a nice variety of landscapes and there is much less plodding through peat bogs than on the Pennine Way. But beware of gliders on Carlton Bank. And prepare yourself for a surreal experience, walking along the seafront at Scarborough in all your kit with a full pack, alongside excitable kids with candyfloss and the rest of the human seaside holiday sights.

The only let down for me was the very end, where it just sort of peters out in Filey. Back when I walked the route there was no real sign that you were at the end of the walk and it was a bit of an anticlimax.

Finally, a couple of points of interest (or not, as you may think):

1. Around Runswick Bay we met a bloke walking the Way who didn't have a stomach. He overtook us.

2. A different bloke at Scarborough YHA got very excited at the dinner table, talking about the onion gravy he had had the night before. He may still be there - I advise you to avoid this man.

Cheers,

The Crittle.

Thanks, But Hey I'm spending money on a tent and so I'm gonna use it!!! (anyway the 'Boss' would be upset if I spent £150 on said tent and then stopped in hostels all the way round!)

I am lucky as I live within site of the Cleveland/Carlton hills (just near to Northallerton), so I won't have far to go. My main problem is finding a campsite between Helmsley and Osmotherley. I wanna do 15-20m daily (why make it a slog...)

My other problem is re-supply for the dog. I don't wanna carry 8 days worth of her food! Anybody got any tips on dogs going long distance?

How big is the dog? Could she carry some of her own food? I keep seeing dog "panniers" in US catalogues. Kibbles don't weigh that much.
    --Mjausson

SHe's big but she'd probably eat the stuff before we leave Helmsley if I leave her to carry it! Tthinking about it she'll probably eat my rucksack if I carry it!

Widdler
    To those interested.....try visiting the Cleveland Way website......it may be of use to you. From a local point of view, it's very informative.

I've been to a couple and they seem to be biased towards bed & breakfasting...Anyone know of any personal pages of people who have backpacked and camped along the way?

How about you do your own research at google.com? They have an excellent help page.
    --Mjausson

yes, but most of the site it returns are for 'B'&'B'ers!

Also wondering if anyone else has any tips about dogs long distancing?

http://www.dogwalks.co.uk/

Not quite what you were looking for, but check the links section for some sites with dog tips - eg: dog-friendly accommodation - and some other dog-walking sites. Tragically there's no link to this site, but then there aren't ang dogs here either.

Sadly www.cowwalks.co.uk doesn't exist. The same goes for www.marmotwalks.co.uk.
    --Mjausson

Ah but Mjausson, there are no cows either!

Oh dear if Marmot walks don't exist what am i going to do for accomadation when I go walkies?

Initiate Clive Clasby (Old Git)'s Avatar
    Take a shoe box
    should be OK and more robust than a tent

David, you are genetically programmed to dig yourself a nice cosy burrow. So get those paws working!

trying desperately to get this back on thread...I hear that you can post supplies to yourself for collection at post offices on route...Is this true?

Has anyone doen this on any other long distance paths? How do you address the package?

Cheers