Thread: SatMap Waterproof

Widdler
    So I have a SatMap Active 10 in my hands. USB cover attached and watermarks all over the screen. Lucky there is a bit of photocopied paper with instructions on how to remove them and not to send it back... Not a great start. Nice box though. Shame it is off to be recycled.

Anyway. I can not find any reference to the degree that it is waterproof. It says it everywhere, but unlike Garmin, Magellan or any other electronics manufacturer it has no obvious IPX rating.

So my question to you good folk is; does anyone know what kind of water based abuse can I give this thing before SatMap refuse to repair or replace under warranty?

Widdler
    Ok. Worried now. Your silence has convinced me to take it back.

It's fully waterproof in my experience, all carefully sealed. I've used it a lot in really nasty conditions. The problem you have is not water getting under the screen, it's actually getting under the polycarbonate screen protector, which is a problem I've had as well. The protector is detachable and replaceable, the actual screen is underneath it, but the protector is there to prevent it from being scratched.

I've suggested to Satmap that they should fit an o-ring type seal under the protector precisely to stop this happening, because it is quite annoying. But just to reiterate, the unit is designed purely for outdoor use from the ground up and is 'fully waterproof' - the ingress of water under the protector is a cosmetic rather than a functional issue.

I need to do an update following the software upgrade earlier this year, which has made a big difference to battery life and improved some other aspects of the unit. The one thing that still irks is that it's very easy to accidentally switch it off particularly if you, say, stow it in a pack lid pocket so it's out of the way.

From the Satmap web site btw:

The Satmap Active 10 is purpose built for the great outdoors, offering a long battery life in a waterproof and shockproof casing

Also I think I misunderstood your watermarks reference - I don't know if you realised, but as new the unit comes with a plastic film over the polycarbonate protector, which is there simply to stop the protector being scratched. You can just peel it off and throw it away. That might sound ovious, but I know at least one other person who thought the film was a permanent part of the unit.

As part of the test and review process I put the SatMap in a bath full of water and left it there for half an hour with no adverse effects

I can't commentas my Satmap is stillliving in its box, but I did come across this thread last night. UKRGB Forums

although I have not submersed it in water, i did have it on the Glyders a few weeks ago in heavy rain without any problems.

Not water related but Its worth updating to the latest version of software as before I did so i had a couple of issues with it freezing.

James

Widdler
    Thanks Guys,

That thread you highlight Snash, has made up my mind. I can't find any reference to an IPX rating, and am worried that if I use it on the water I will have a similar warranty problem. I really can't be doing with a waterproof case etc...

As for the water marks john, I have it sorted thanks.

Dave, seeing as you are the man in the know, hearing anything about 'decent' GPS watches on the horizon?

Its come in for a real slagging on the UK Rivers Guide site:

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> It's fully waterproof in my experience, all carefully sealed

No such thing as 'fully waterproof' when the housing has openings for connectors, SD cards, etc. That's why an IEC529 IPxx rating is useful, to indicate how water and dust proof the thing is...

The email response from SatMap quoted on the UKRG thread says "the Active 10is only splash proof".

Widdler
    There has to be a law about this. Do I recall a waterproof standard for waterproof fabrics? hence the old waterproof, water resistant debate. Has IPX not been implemented as a legal standard or something?

I am quite mad about this now. I have been sold something that is clearly not waterproof, despite claims to the country.

really glad I posted here now. thanks everyone.

I guess ultimately it's been splash proof enough for the use I've put it to, but I'm not a paddler, so our test unit's never been subjected to more than heavy rain.

I'd agree that the Satmap site is confusing and I'll take it up with them.