Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Memory Map

A pretty good MM forum can be found here.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/module...viewforum&f=16

Incidentally, with reference to the same waypoints in routes there is a fairly simple way round this.

Save the route as a csv file and open it in Excel. Delete the original route in MM.

All the waypoints can be changed then to something else. eg a route for Nantle Ridge could be NR01-NR whatever. The waypoints can also be made visible. Usually takes about 2-3mins to setup a route like this which can then be imported back into MM and onto the GPS. If Im away on a trip I try to get all the routes sorted and saved onto the GPS using this method. All the waypoints are then instantly recognisable even on overlapping routes.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Wyld View Post

Incidentally, with reference to the same waypoints in routes there is a fairly simple way round this.

Do you really need to bother with the export at all? I just go to the Properties window for the route andclick twice (slowly - not double-click)on each waypoint and change its prefix there. Still tedious though. The worst thing is when it changes the waypoint names when it transfers them to your GPS if there are duplicates. IT would be a lot better if it let you associate a prefix with the route.

Well no, you dont have to do it by exporting the route to a spreadsheet sheet but its a damn site sight easier and faster.

As you say, clicking on each individual waypoint and changing it is tedious. The spreadsheet way does literally take a couple of minutes as you dont have to change each one individually. Change the first one, click on the bottom corner of the box and drag down the whole column. This will automatically number all the waypoints with the prefix. When the whole column is done you can copy and paste it into the other two waypoint columns. Same method is used to change the"show name" column from a "1" which is no show to a "0" which is show. Dead easy once youve done a couple.

It also means that you have a backup of the route in csv format which can be imported into other things.

Perhaps this will help COL. for modifying in Excel

A Waypoints
    B Lat
    C Long
    D Waypoint symbol 0 = dot
    E Waypoint Name
    F Comment
    G File
    H Circle Radius 0 = no circle
    I Show Name 0 = Show 1 = No show
    J Name on GPS (copy from Col E)
    K Visible Mark 1 = Show 0 = No show
    L Lock waypoint 1 = Locked 0 = Unlocked
    M Category
    N Circle 0 = No circle 1 = passive circle 2 = Proximity alarm 3 = Anchor alarm

‹bermensch

It's pretty tedious either way, IMO. It should certainly be unnecessary. I believe Tracklogs lets you assign a waypoint prefix for each route, which is much more user-friendly. And even when you've gone through all that export/edit/re-import nonsense, there is no control over where or how MM prints the waypoint labels. And since it allows you to give a waypoint a different name on the GPS, or does that itself without telling you,why doesn't it let you print the map with the GPS waypoint names?Not very good at all!

I agree that it would be better if you could assign a prefix initially within the program and I do know that MM have bee asked for this many times so why on earth they havent done it by now in one of the updates beats me. Perhaps its going to be in a future version forcing you to buy more maps to use it. If Tracklogs allows you to do this then it is a plus. However, I like many others have spent quite a bit on maps for MM so have to make do. All Im trying to do here is point out the easiest way of getting round the problem.

Im not sure what you mean about how MM prints the waypoints out. Mine always just prints out the waypoint name next to the point. Ive never had MM alter waypoint names by itself, does this happen often. Re the different name on the map and GPS I cant see why this would be necessary anyway, surely just leads to confusion.