Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Memory Map

Widdler
    Does anyone know of a Memory Map Users Forum or similar website where I might reach experienced users of Memory Map for advice on how to use the programme?

what is it you are having problems with?

Widdler
    I'm trying to compose a long Track, taking as my references a typewritten list of instructions in a Word doc. As I switch applications, or occasionally as I zoom in and out or scroll the MMap screen, I "drop" the Track i.e. the cursor switches to Drag, and when I try to continue the existing Track it fails - I have to start a new Track from where I dropped the first one. I can't find a way of "picking up"the end of my original Track. I can of course, simply carry on and join all the bits together later, but it's annoying because when it's all one Track, the trackponts show the cumulative distance from the start, which is very helpful as I interpret the written instructions, which also give the accumulative mileage and therefore help me locate each junction, turn, etc.

To pick up the original dropped track and continue plotting where it left off, right-click the last waypoint and choose 'Add Waypoint After'. Thereafter it remains in plotting mode for further waypoints exactly as before.

If you have waypoint coordinates in a Word document, it may well be possible to open the document in a good text editor and do a repeat-edit to turn it into a route file suitable for input directly to MM.

MMs user forum was nuked along with their website a few weeks ago (due to scallies who targetted the place for the copper wire, or so I'm told), and there is no word on when it will be back. People here on OM can help with most things though.

Create a route rather than a track, this way you can do as Geoff sugests, you can then convert it to a track afterwards, if thats what you prefer.

Widdler

Thanks guys - if I'm doing this correctly, it seems I can't right-click the last trackpoint but I have to work in Route mode where I can pick up on the last waypoint. It seems to work much the same (for my purposes at least) in Routes as it does in Tracks, and I then convert the Route into a Track, as MSP says.

Very helpful and thanks for your time.

Sorry not really got beyond the basics of the software myself, but the NZ memory map forum still seems to be alive, could try there:-

http://forum.memory-map.co.nz/index....2d5d49f219b825

Widdler
    Thanks Lloyd, that could be useful. As you can see from this thread, I've had an answer to my main question. Interestingly, I did also eventually get a response from Memory Map Support. It wasn't as helpful as the posts above, saying only that: "It is not possible to continue drawing a track once you have told Memory-Map to stop. All you can do is tell Memory-Map to join the tracks once you have drawn them."

- they didn't think laterally and come up with the suggestions posted by MSP and Geoff!They also said:"We did have a forum not so long ago, however due to a massive hard drive failure by our hosting company it has now been lost. We are unsure at this time whether it will return or not."

I'm not educated enough to know the technical implications, but I would have thought something like that would have been securely backed up - ?

PP: If you're trying to plot something, then that's a route, tracks on the other hand are the uploaded breadcrumb trails from your GPS device. They have their own specific properties. For example a track will tell you the actual height gain, distance and time whereas the route will give you estimated values.

Routes can be converted to tracks and vice-versa, however, they tend to loose a bit of accuracy.

FWIW,when planning I always work with routes and I only ever upload my GPS tracks for posterity.

I tned to avoid printing at all costs, however, it sounds like you'd benefit from printing your word doc and working from the hard-copy rather than flicking between the two apps.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> however, it sounds like you'd benefit from printing your word doc and working from the hard-copy rather than flicking between the two apps.

Or re-size the application windows so that both are visible on the screen at once, without needing to switch between them (or change the 'focus' from one to the other).

Remarkable things, user-resizable windows...

You could even copy the GRs from the Word doc, then paste them into a skinny Notepad window, and copy & paste the raw text into MM. Don't paste into Wordpad, as it's likely to include all the Word formatting (Wordpad is in many ways a cut-down Word, dealing as it does with formatted text; Notepad is a Real Man's Text Editor).

Goon
    >Notepad is a Real Man's Text Editor

err isn't that vi or emacs

I'll get my coat...

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

a Real Man's Editor. vi if I'm using Unix or Cygwin. emacs is for poofs.

Widdler

Now guys, cease with the sexy techie language!

Several fair points in the above posts: yes I could work with re-sized windows butI like my comfort and am in the habit of just using Alt+tab to toggle between applications in full screen mode (or, in this instance I use MMap full screen with the Word doc in a minimal window and toggle between them)

Importing the grid references from the Word would be neat but in my case the instructions don't includes GRs - they are of the "turn left at the pub" type.

I accept the differing definitions of Routes and Tracks but would point out that in both Mapsource and MMap you can "draw a Track" manually - thus a Track is not just an uploaded breadcrumbs trail recording of a journey made previously, although I accept that's probably the conventional use of the term.

As it happens, since starting this thread, I've stumbled over: WinGDB3 This little programme neatly translates, among other things, Mapsource Routes into Tracks. (It's not the only programme that can do this, I think, but it's the only one I've tried and it works for me!) This means I can compose Routes using the "shortest" option in Mapsource which is far easier than drawing a Track in either Mapsource or MMap, and then convert it into a Track.

I find Tracks far easier to use when cycling with either my Garmin or my Satmap as I can dictate the exact route and fit more distance into the GPS unit.

Personally I've always created routes for upload to my GPS and downloaded tracks from my GPS. What is the advantage you find with creating tracks over routes?

Widdler

For me the advantage of using a Track rather than a Route is that I can dictate exactly the path I take. If I create a journey in Mapsource using the Route function and then upload it into my Garmin (GPSmap 60CSx) I cannot guarantee it will generate exactly the same Route. This is because it uploads only the waypoints, not the decisions as to how best to travel between them. The handheld unit works this out for itself and you don't always get the same result. In fact, I found the "follow route by road" function in the Garmin very unreliable as it would often route me along an illogical path.

Also, the limit of 50 waypoints per Route in the Garmin is a restriction and although you can break the journey up into several Routes, with a capacity of 20 Tracks of up to 500 trackpoints each,I find it easier to use Tracks.

And finally, using Tracks uses less battery power than following Routes, which is also helpful.

Ok I think I use MM and my GPS60 ina slightly different way.When I finished creating a route Iright click on said route and then up load to GPS with MM. The route in the GPS is then thesame as what I created on the MM. The GPS60 that I have (low-end yellow one with no mapping software), can handle 250 way points per route and I would be surprised if the GPS60CSx does not cater for the same amount. I save all my routes to my HDD and delete them from MM to stop them clogging up MM, so when I start creatinganother route the same WP numbers are often used. Even this does nor create a problem with the Garmin as it puts a suffix number on the end of the WP if it detects another WP of the same number/name already on the GPS and therefore will not overwrite existing WPs. All WPs are then associated with their own route and therefore the GPS does not perform any route calculation as it knows each WP step for the route.

As my GPS does not display maps, MapSource is no good for my use and therefore I have never used it to transfer routes/tracks etc so I cannot comment on how it handles the data.

Before the Garmin I had a Magellan 315 where I had to limit the route numbers to 25, MM used to split the routes up for that GPS with no problems but when I used to go away for a week or so walking I had to edit a route file in TextBook to add all the routes I planned to do in the week - a real pain. The Garmin on the other hand can store enough walks to keep me occupied for a week and even save the track logs for each day separately- sheer bliss!

PP: I've got a Garmin Geko 301. One of my decisions at the time of purchase was the number of waypoints and routes it can handle. This is important for me as I tend to favour a few big days out rather than several shorter days. For me the follow route has always worked because I pack the route with so many waypoint, typically every 250-500m and so there is little scope to go wrong. This means even for one day I can have upwards of 200 waypoints. When using it on the hill, I always have it displaying the route and waypoints which helps me decide whether the GPS is giving me the right information. I have never trusted the compass view which just gives the direction to the "next" waypoint.

You mentioned you use it when cycling. I can see quite easily that you'd cover more ground than me walking and so would need a lot more waypoints to cope with each twist and turn of your chosen route. I can also see how it could easily make the wrong assumption about which waypoint is the "next" waypoint.

I must admit, I'd never thought of downloading the track but I can see an immediate benefit for myself. The route shows as a thick black line between the waypoints, however, the route would show as the thin, dotted breadcrumb trail. I could still download my waypoints to give me visual confirmation that I am where I think I am.

You also mentioned that you can't guarantee that your GPS gets the same route as you had in Mapsource. I don't have any experience any experience of either, however, I trust MM & my Gek0 301 100%, I've walked over many ridges in the dark and mist following nothing but my GPS. (Note: I did have my map at hand with a Silva compass and prior ground knowledge, the point I'm making is that I trusted the route on the GPS and it's never, repeat never, let me down.)

Sounds like you've found a good way to get what you want out of it and I may even try your method when I'm next out and about.

"What is the advantage you find with creating tracks over routes?" tracks can be 5000 (usually at least or the limit of the track recording) points long. routes can be 250 points long.

i'm so glad i use tracklogs which doesn't distinguish between "routes" and "tracks". everything is just a path. you deicde whether it's a "route" or "track" or both when you load it into the gps. tracklogs was designed by cyclists hence no distinction.

Widdler

I confess I've never tried Tracklogs or Anquet, only MMap, so I can't comment on them. Like most people I guess, having bought one type, there's no obvious reason to buy the maps again in a different software product.

I do recall reading an article by someone whose opinions I trust that said that each brand of mapping had its good features and poor ones; he felt that none was exactly right, but the article didn't go into detail about the precise pros and cons of the three brands.

quite right about the different brands pp. i only switched to tracklogs after mm pissed me about once too often and i decided life was too short.

none will ever fulfill all your needs. tracklogs doesn't load to a pda and has limited interoperability with other packages e.g. it wont load an mm gpx file. for route, sorry - walk,planning, gps control and general messing about with it knocks the spots off mm.

mm is heavily advertised and promoted. virtually all shops stock it so it's the first exposure most people will get to a digital mapping package.

myopinion about mm is that you get to learn to work aroundits clanky quirkiness. i guess it's the microsoft of mapping. whilst garmin is the DOS of mapping.

dunno why i said that....