Thread: Geko 201 query

Just for fun I had my Geko 201 on for yesterday's walk, and it would be even more fun to upload it to my computer - I have Memory Map - and see precisely where I walked. Inevitably I've lost the destructions that came with the Geko. Does anyone know if it's possible to do this, and if so how (bearing in mind that I'm not a techno-wizard).

Cheers

Hi Kate...

Your Geko 201 manual is downloadable from here

Hope it helps byeeeee

Have you a connecting cable, Kate? For example, this one?

I'd tried using a connertor cable between my old serial cable and a USB cable, but no joy, so ended up paying full whack for it. It is a lot for a cable but it did the job

Once connected, you can import marks, routes and tracks from the GPS unit. And you can export them from the mapping software too.

If you export your "overlay" files regularly, that acts as your backup in case of problems.

I've not got mine in front of me, but it's not difficult. At the Geko end, you may need to set Setup, System, Interface (or something like that) to Garmin, but otherwise just switch it on and plug it in.

At the MemoryMap end I'm not sure if it'll auto-detect the gps or whether you'll need to tell it which COM Port the gps is attached through. After that it's just wherever the MM Upload/ Download menu is.....

Thanks chaps, got the route imported. Now, is there any way to edit it? For some bizarre reason I've got a couple of kms of rogue tracklog at the start of the walk and I'd like to get rid of it if possible.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Well, if you can get the .gpx file, you can just open it up with a text editor (e.g. WordPad) and delete the unwanted points...

A memory-map .gpx file is just anXML file, andstarts like this:

2152007-09-08T09:58:45Z
    2152007-09-08T09:59:19Z
    2152007-09-08T09:59:37Z

Just delete the 'trkpt' you don't want.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    The 'trkpt' lines have wrapped...

Can't you just select the necessary trackpoints one at a time and delete them in MM?

If a track doesn't have visible points then you could convert it to a route, and then delete the waypoint s from that. I think

Have a play - if you've not deleted the track from the Geko yet then you've always got a backup.

Btw, with the Geko track page, you'll see the %used figure displayed against the track memory - I always make a point of clearing this to 0% immediately before starting any walk I want to record.

Er... actually it was terribly easy

But I wouldn't have got there without the suggestions above. If you highlight the 'track' that appears on MM, you have an option to 'convert to Route' through 'Operations', and then it was a doddle to delete the offending rogue waypoints. Interestingly, the 21km walk I actually went on has now been reduced to 19.2km

Übermensch no longer the 'office manager''s Avatar

You may also find it useful to 'right click' on the track and select 'remove velocity spike' especially if you've lost the signal at any point during your walk. This usually happens in wooded areas.

It amazing how many miles you can lose this way!

The tracklog interval is also a factor. Long interval leads to your winding path being straightened out a little. Not sure what the default is on the 201 though.

I've also found that coverting Tracks to Routes in MM can cause some straightening too.

Übermensch no longer the 'office manager''s Avatar
    You can set that yourself, either a time or distance interval and you can vary either. I use time and my mate uses distance. We end up with more or less the same results!

Widdler
    Can anyone offer any advice or recommend a repair shop. My geko 201 has stopped working and won't switch on . Being a 50 year old grunter I'm not the best with technology. Thanks in advance. I'm in the Liverpool area by the way