Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jet boil

does anyone use a pot cosy with the jet boil? I usually eat wayfarers when i`m out and am thinking about getting a jet boil

Mini Goon
    It has one built in of neoprene rubber around the body of the cup

Think seriously before getting a jetboil, once the burner and cartridge are stowed there's no room for anything else. You can build a much more versatile set around something like an Alpkit Mitymug.

I have a Jetboil and yes it's quick to set-up and yes it boils quickly (if the gas cart is more than half full) but I prefer the versatility of a set build to suit my needs. I'm seriously considering the Primus EtaExpress, maybe not as quick to set up as a Jetboil but there should be more storage space if you use a 100g cart (same as Jetboil) as it can hold a 250g cart. Obviously as the pot isn't insulated you would want to use a cosy. Backpackinglight.co.uk sell the stuff for cozies.

That said the Jetboil is very popular and if you're sure it's what you want then go for it.

By the way, if you get a Jetboil make sure you carry a lighter as the piezo igniteris carp.

R_Mac, isn't that the beauty of the jetboil? the fact that it contains all the bits within itself when not being used...... I haven't got one, but have been seriously considering it.

Sorry to hijack ya thread Simon

R_Mac i would have to disagree with you on this one. I've got a jetboil and had it for over a year now and have to say i'm very impressed with it. It has never failed on me and is far quicker than anything else i've ever come across to boil water. Granted it does limit you do basically cook anything that just needs boiling. However with a little imagination you can cook some pretty fancy stuff (zippable plastic bags are the key!!). I also admit its only really suitable for a one man show. However i find it fantastic when backpacking, its small, lightweight and very quick to set up and at the end of the day, when your shattered from a hard days walking, it makes life far easier. And for your information the piezo igniter ain't all that bad, its never not fired on me, maybe you just had a dodgey one (but surely all stoves with piezo igniters will be the same??)

Vincent, I don't think you're disagreeing with me at all, I did say that it was quick to set-up and boils very quickly but it's not very versatile. As you rightly point out it's well suited to FBC and thats really my point, if the OP is sure he's going to adopt FBC thenthe Jetboil is a good option (not the only one though, the EtaExpress is a serious alternative)

Re. the piezo, it could be that mine is a bad one, that said I've seen complaints on OM about the reliability, maybe you got an extra good one . Of 3 stoves with piezo ignition the Jetboil is the only one (so far) to have failed and it's the newest.

Tim, you can't get anything else into the Jetboil, no spork/utensils/lighter etc.

Some photies comparing an Alpkit based set with a Jetboil.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2328/...39e382.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2019/...d19f7d.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2153/...7c8d89.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2328/...39e382.jpg?v=0

I actually use a titan kettle and a white box stove/ pocket rocket with a backpacking light pot cozy. Recently spent 3 days canoeing down the wye where one of my friends used a jetboil and i was impressed, the savings between my meths stove and the jet boil where minimal but the speed was so impressive, as i mostly use wayfarers with uncle bens express rice i may go for the new eta power for 1 man. any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Arnold View Post

R_Mac, isn't that the beauty of the jetboil? the fact that it contains all the bits within itself when not being used...... I haven't got one, but have been seriously considering it.
    Surely most pots will get everything inside them? I've not looked at the Jetboil in detail,but it sees strangethere is no room in it for anythingwhen it's packed away. I've got an MSR Titan and can get a 100g gas, stove, folding spoon, windshield,film canisterof milk powder, lighter, teabags, sugar sticks and a small cloth in it.

You won't get that lot in a Jetboil. The second link in my previous post shows the Jetboil packed, the burner is quite big and sits tightly in the pot either attached to or resting on the 100g gas cartridge. If you get a chance take a look at one.

Yeah the Jetboil seems pretty bulky. Not too light either.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Oakley View Post

I actually use a titan kettle and a white box stove/ pocket rocket with a backpacking light pot cozy. Recently spent 3 days canoeing down the wye where one of my friends used a jetboil and i was impressed, the savings between my meths stove and the jet boil where minimal but the speed was so impressive, as i mostly use wayfarers with uncle bens express rice i may go for the new eta power for 1 man. any other suggestions?

Don't get me wrong, the Jetboil does exactly what it says it will, my main gripe is that it's not versatile. I might want to have an extra pot/mug when at base but carry a stripped down set on a day hike. With the Alpkit based set I can pack a 450ml ti mug, burner 100g cart, teaspoon and folding spork, MSR foil windshield and a cozy all in or around the Alpkit Mity Mug. In camp that gives me a cooking pot (Alpkit Mug) and a mug that I can also use on the stove. (nice to be able to actually cook in the pot and make tea/coffee etc in a separate mug). On the hill I can leave out the Alpkit mug/pot and just use the 450ml ti mug.

Of course Jetboil make a GCS (Group Cooking System) pot which has an integralheat exchanger/windshield like the PCS mug. Unfortunately you can't pack the PCS mug into the GCS pot. That means you're taking up extra space carrying both a GCS pot and the PCS unit.

Ultimately it depends on how you cook or what you cook, if you usually cook everything in one pot or you cook FBC style then the Jetboil is fast to set up and fast to boil. I'm really only advising you to check it out first and compare with the alternatives. I didn't, I asssumed the Jetboil would suit me but with the benefit of hindsight I think I would have been better off with the Primus EtaExpress.

If you want a Jetboil try Ryedale Rambler, when I bought mine they were the cheapest.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Mac View Post

By the way, if you get a Jetboil make sure you carry a lighter as the piezo igniteris carp.
    I'm on my third, haven't had one last more than a couple of trips.

Mine must be the most used bit of kit I have,it gets takenon day walks, cycle rides, when I'm working outside,as well as camping. fantastic at boiling water quickly, pretty poor at anything else, the pot's just the wrong size/shape to cook anything and I find it hard to simmer. One benefit not yet mentioned is being able to hold it while it boils, this is both a great hand warmer and means never being stuck for somewhere to stand it.

Widdler

Regarding weights, the jetboil and etaexpress are very similar with both coming in at just over 400g.

If the etaexpress had been out when I made my purchase, I think I'd have gone for the eta. I'm annoyed that I can't even fit my plastic spork in the Jetboil and the special jetboil cutlery 'requires' a new neoprene jacket if it's to be kept with the stove. Plus the etaexpress pot can apparently fit the larger gas cans in its pot (not that more gas is necessarily needed but when you can buy twice as much gas for only 50p more...) or will have room for cooking accessories.

Also, given the success of the Jetboil's built-in cosy, how come no-one's fabricated a neoprene cosy for any of the other popular titanium mugs?

The ETA will certainly take a 200g gas plus burner plus windshield with an inch to spare.

It'll take a spork of less than 5" - my titanium one has an appointment with a hacksaw.

You can get a titanium spork that folds in half - think got mine from Bob @ Backpackinglight.

Initiate
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard L View Post

I'm annoyed that I can't even fit my plastic spork in the Jetboil and the special jetboil cutlery 'requires' a new neoprene jacket if it's to be kept with the stove.
    Richard, an Alpkit A5 stuffsack (sil-nylon, 10g, £1.50) fits a Jetboil perfectly, with just enough room for cutlery, lighter etc.

Paul H, your on your third jetboil??? Or third piezo igniter???

Was all but decided on the jetboil, but after reading this not so sure. What about the MSR reactor, how does this match up for useability??? It has a funny looking lid. I like the eta express idea of having a lid that could be used as a frying pan, would prob never use it, but its nice to know I could if I wanted to.

Massively undecided as to Jetboil/Eta express/MSR reactor now.

Primus also do a similar kettle for around £20 on its own - combined with say a primus micron stove the kettle will take a gas canister the stove, tea makings and a small cup inside.

I now use an MSR Ti kettle instead which is smaller and lighter and dont bother with a cup.

I found the Jetboil a royal pain in the arse. Poor control, large, bulky, inflexible, bad simmer control (I have seen a few folk scalding their fingers with these). It has an awkward size with a high centre of gravity. The piezo igniter seems so vulnerable on this stove too.

edited to add: And that bayonet fitting for the mug/pot in the jetboil is a real pain IMO.

So what if it boils water 30 secs quicker. What would you do with that extra 30 secs? There are lighter/smaller/ more packableoptions out there.

Mike(no to the fence) wrote (see)[/QUOTE]So what if it boils water 30 secs quicker. What would you do with that extra 30 secs? There are lighter/smaller/ more packableoptions out there. [/QUOTE]
    Nothing as you'd have already wasted the 30 seconds trying to get the piezo igniter to work