Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You've got two weeks off - where would you go

Initiate

Helllloo

I was due to go to Venezuela on holiday in September but the holiday has fallen through, was with a UK based responsible travelcompany. We are considering doing the trip ourselves but are also looking at other possibilities.

We must take our time off in September/early October.

We've got two weeks.

We've a budget of £3K

We dunno where to go!!! Why are we stuck? The budget is fixed, the time is fixed. If we had three weeks we'd have no problem or even if we had enough to go to Patagonia.

We like trekking. We've been to Kili and done the Annapurna Circuit.

We like South America.

Peeps, we need some inspiration!I suggested Scotland, long distance UK path but Mr Jules wants abroad.

Many thanks for all your suggestions

Initiate Professor Pat. Pending's Avatar

If that's your thing and I were in your shoes, I would probably be phoning round the other trekking companies to see what spaces they have in Sept/Octfor South American trekkingor whatever else they are doing at that time that might be of interest. You probably thought of that already tho!.

Initiate
    cuba

There is so much to be seen in South America, and for trip ideas and inspirations just take a little journey fist off to the greatly inspiring SAEC website perhaps. The South American Explorers Club is the place to see what South and Central America has to offer. The Lonely Planet website and their forum at the Thorn Tree is another good place to go too. Wherever you do decide to go to eventually on the holiday, I hope you have a lot of fun and a great and safe time there.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Jules it sounds like your having a hard time deciding what to do so to take the stress off you and offer you an alternative, you can come to the North West and do my job and I'll take the hard decision of where to go for two weeks off your shoulders!

Ahh, New Zealand of course.... [swoon]

What a lovely dilemma...

The problem with most Andean stuff is that it's out of season, but Ecuador is a bit less seasonal, you could do some trekking there, get acclimatised, then climb Cotapaxi which is beautiful but not technical, towards the end of the two weeks once you have some acclimatisation.

Morrocco maybe?

‹bermensch Nearly Normal Polar Bear's Avatar

Hi Jules, how are you?

Corsica?

Ultra King

Morrocco. I want to got there and for 3k you could do the luxury thing too. Fancy staying in the same places as all those Hollywood stars did? Then straight up the Atlas Mtns. Not the Jebel Toubkal but the the other areas. You've got the anti atlas, the Jebel Sahro area, plus many more delights.

Only thing is, I doubt you will need the 3k. In fact you can have a full on organised trek for probably less than 1k or 1.5k if you splash the cash.

http://www.explore.co.uk/Tour+Detail...&TourModifiers

The above is a link to Explore trip in September to Angel falls and Orinocco. 16 days (3 weekends, 2 weeks). It must be out of season as there was only this one trek in September.

Have you thought of Vietnam and other SE Asian areas? I have heard Vietnam is beautiful.

‹bermensch Chris OutdoorsGrubcouk's Avatar

I had a great time doing part of the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington State, USA, last September (after Labour Day to miss the people and the mozzies, but not too late in Sep to avoid the snow).

Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass is absolutely superb scenery, and you can work round the official detours North of Stevens Pass to get a great walk.

If you are seriously interested email me, I've got loads of info, digital maps, logistical suggestions etc.

Or Norway. I'm looking at Northern Norway for Sep 2009 (again, misses the Summer bugs) and so far it's looking amazing: a bit like Scotland but much wilder.

Ultra King

Patagonia

the southern tip of Argentina. do some climbing, some walking and gaze at the glaciers, while they are still there

I will be in Scotland for the 2 weeks at the end of September, but if i had 3k to spend it would be as said above Canada. The rockies get my vote.

Hooray! I've got 2 weeks off!....Oh, you meant you

If you are keen on Patagonia this is worth a look:

Torres Del Paine

Weather will be a lottery at that time of year though.

Initiate

Thanks very much for everyone that has responded, I appreciate you taking the time to help me with this dilemma, a lucky one to have but it is playing on my mind.

There are some great ideas here and I am liking a lot of them so am leaving the page open for Mr Jules to have a look at.

Thanks so much, will report back!

Ultra King

Jules,

it's a shame Mr Jules wants to go abroad, i've got a caravan at Camber Sands available in October only £2999 for 2 weeks

Initiate
    Nowt wrong with Camber, spent a lot of time there when I was a kid! I could buy Camber Sands for £2999 haha

Initiate
    I thought about Morocco, we bought the books but we think it might be Ramadam!

Initiate

How about the far east,excellent trekking in northern Thailand and you could combine that with some snorkelling/diving on the southern coasts.Can,t remember the seasons off the top of my head.

Also the islands east of Bali (nusa tengarra) such as Flores and komodo are fantastic,or were 20 years ago!!