Thread: Macgillycuddy's Reeks

Not a foot complaint Jon C. but a range of mountains in Kerry.

Anyone done any walking there? Especially up Carrauntoohil, as I am going there next week. Fancy i might do a bit. To be sure!

Did the Reeks, as a run, a few years ago, wonderful lack of paths on the outer hills, an excellent test for navigation in 'soft' weather. Don't rely on signposts, any I found were either wrong or loose in the ground. Do the Kerry Way as a low level option, very emotive re- potato famine etc.

Cheers, I'll give it a go.

Philip, buy either the Southwest of Ireland Walk Guide by Seán ó Suilleabháin or Hill Walkers Atlantic Ireland by David Herman. Both will give you plenty of ideas for routes. Ones I?d recommend are Carrauntuohill from Mealis, which takes you through Hag?s Glen (truly inspiring), the Coomloughra Horseshoe from Breanlee, which takes you over Beenkeragh, Carrauntuohill and Caher, and the Ridge walk itself, east to west from Kate Kearney?s Cottage, but you'll need to cars for this. The first two are good and the third is a decent day out of 6,000ft of ascent in only 11 miles. I?d also buy OS Ireland?s ?Macgillycuddy?s Reeks? (1:25 000). The map and the books can probably be bought from the tourist information office in Killarney but you might want to get them before you go. Finally, try and do Brandon Mountain at the end of the Dingle Peninsula, which if you go from Faha is about 4,500ft of ascent.

Chris is quite right - if you're used to walking in the Lakes or Snowdonia then both the lack of paths and people may come as shock; in this respect the Reeks are much more like the Highlands. Finally, if you're staying in or around Killarney then the apres walking is pretty good, with plenty of pubs, curry houses, etc.

If you want anymore info feel free to mail me direct at jamesriley@onetel.net.uk