Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How much does your pack weigh???

there we go trevor.

dab personal radio

Quote Originally Posted by Ray "oh feck" View Post

there we go trevor.

dab personal radio
    240 grammes! You're 'aving a larf, aintcha?

Hugh. I'm very interested in the home dehydration idea. I used to carry most of a 24-hr ration pack for a 2-dayer until I weighed the thing - 1.6kg. Bearing in mind that an ORP contains 3 boil-in-the-bag meals, a tin of pate plus loads of other stuff, it must be quite easy tohalve this, even if you use a combination of hydrated and dehydrated food.

Derek Goffin's and sam09's 750g per day sounds about right and that's what I'm aiming for, as a recent convert to lightweight.

http://butuki.com/laughing_knees/ten...lps-gear-list/ You guys all might be interested in reading this guy's kit list too.

Thanks very much for the radio link there Ray. A bit above my budget right now for a single item though sadly. Hopefully I will win the lotto soon,lol!

240 grammes! You're 'aving a larf, aintcha? - Wrote Jake.

Not light enough for you then Jake perhaps?

jordan23 Hu
    Custom Nike Shoes,wholesale nike dunk,cheap air jordans,cheap nike dunk low,cheap air forces 1s,cheap adidas shoes,nike wholesalers,wholesale nike dunks,cheap nike shox,discount nikes,cheap nike shoes

Dear friend,
    We(www.wholesaleshoesb2b.com)are cheap nike sneakers of China Nike customs Shoes Wholesale company with nike outlets(nike factory stores),we wholesale nike dunks,cheap jordans,WHOLESALE JORDANS,cheap sneakers,WHOLESALE NIKES,wholesale jordan sneakers,discount nike shoes,wholesale air max,CHEAP NIKE,wholesale nike sneakers,cheap nike sneakers,wholesale dunk sneakers,wholesale jordans,custom nike dunks,cheap nike shoes,cheap air jordans,wholesale nike dunk low,cheap nike air max,Cheap Air Jordans,wholesaler jordans,wholesaler nike shox, cheap womens nike dunks,nike wholesalers,cheap Air Force 1s,discount nike shoes,whoelsale prada shoes,cheapnike air max,wholesale puma shoes,Nike dunks for cheap,wholesale adidas shoes,cheap nike shox,wholesale max sneakers,discount jordans,wholesale jeans,custom air force 1s,cheap nike air max,Wholesale Timberland shoes,Custom Nike Shoes,wholesale hoodies,cheap Childrens Jordan,wholesale,BAPE SAT SHOES,discount T-Shirt,wholesale Sunglasses,custom nike dunks,cheap air forces 1s,cheap shoes,discount nike shox,cheap nike dunks,nikes for cheap,wholesale nike sneakers,cheap nike shox,cheap nikes,wholesale new jordans,women nike dunks,cheap dunks,china nike factory.Wholesale New Hats, cheap red monkey clothes,cheap red monkey hats,cheap Bape Hats,discount CA Hats,wholesaler ED Hats china nike factory wholesaler,cheap A?F 2008 T-Shirt,discount A?F Hoodies ´╝?Having hair´╝?,Wholesaler A?F Hoodies,cheap A?F Shorts,wholesale cheap hats,Wholesale 10Deep Hoodies,cheap Artful Doger Hoodies,discount Bape Hoodies,wholesaler Bbc Hoodies,wholesaler Christan Audigier Hoodies,cheap Clh-Hoodies,wholesaler Coogi Hoodies,discount Ed Hardy Hoodies,wholesale Evisu Hoodies,cheap Gino Green Global Hoodies,wholesale Kidrobot Hoodies,discount Lrg Hoodies,Wholesale Parish Hoodies,cheap Ed Hardy Hoodies women discount,Wholesale Ed Hardy Jeans,cheap Evisu Jeans, wholesaler Red Monkey Shorts, Wholesale cheap Amini Chanel Burberry Dior Feidi Gucci Lv Okely Polices Versace Prada Rapay D?G Sunglasses,Wholesale Gino Green Global T-Shirt,cheap Artful Dodge T-Shirt,discount Bbc T-Shirt,wholesale Christan Audigier T-Shirt,wholesaler Coogi T-Shirt,cheap jeans,cheap Ed Hardy T-Shirt,discount Evisu T-Shirt,customize Lacoste T-Shirt,wholesaler Polo T-Shirt,cheap Hollister T-Shir,discount D?G T-Shirt,customize G-Star T-Shirt,wholesaler Paml Smith T-Shirt,cheap Women Polo T-Shirt,wholesale sunglasses,discount Women Lacoste T-Shirt, all goods prices are wholesale price. (quality):high and AAA quality.Our business areas: South America, North America, Europe, Austrilia and South East Asia. we supply all the products are packed in original boxes with retro cards, and the tags and style code number are 100% correct. We insists that " SAFETY+ QUALITY+FAST DELIVERY+ REASONABLE PRICE = PERMANENT CUSTOMER".
    Homepage: www.wholesaleshoesb2b.com http://www.tradechinab2b.com

I definitely have a lot to learn. I'm just getting back into Hiking after years of... well I dunno - beer and fags I guess. However the last time I walked seriously was a winter trip around Dornie, but just day walking from a cottage. I carried all the emergency gear, harness, ropes etc for the group. My DAY-pack was 45 kilos. But as a super fit 19 year old that seemed quite light to me.

In my mid 30's now and I'm definitely learning a lot about lightweight gear from these forums. Already purchased a Montane Featherlite jacket for Snowdonia next month.

Surely you'll struggle rather badly to get digital radio reception in a lot of places you'll be walking?

I wouldn't be without my portable long wave radio though. Very nice to have some distraction when in cloud all day (cricket works quite well for this I find, also like the news at lunchtime/evenings).

Ok so you can't get them integrated into mobile phones and the like but mine runs for a long time off a pair of AA batteries and is only ~150g with them in.

Maybe someone has done a really minature one but I doubt it. Not trendy enough

Mini Goon

Just saw this discussion,so thought i would add my grammes worth.

Just got back from the Pyrenees [Cauterets area].On starting out for our 9 days my wife and i were carrying less than 10kgs.They weighrd in at the airport at 10.2kg and 10.3kg,this included boots,walking poles and all walking gear,we wore smart clothes.

All the time we camped wild usually above 2400m,we carried all our food and gas,evening bringing down at least 2 days supply of food.I usually work on 500 to 70gms of dehydrated food per day.To do this i usually only use5 main ingredients;Porridge,Potato powder,Colmans cheese sauce mix,Sosmix or Burger mix,Instant Semolina.These all require the minimum of cooking ,just boiling water and leave them to stand insulated in your hat.With this we managed to get a 250gm gas cylinder to cook 2 hot meals a day,this includes soup tea and coffee.

For lunches we ate a variety of grain bars bread and a piece of local chorizo sausage.

We carried all our gear in KIMM sacs and i was using a new PHD 900 fill sleeping bag weighing 490gms.The tent was a Mountain Equipment AR Ultra light with no poles as we used our trekking poles.

Other excellent light weight pieces of kit were a Haglofs fleece hoody ,2 Odlo base layers and Haglofs trousers.

If you really want to get the weight down look at your food,we got our variety of tastes by different flavours added through soup cubes.

All this made it very cheap thus allowing one to eat in the best restaurants when you get down off the mountains.

My one word of caution is that even a light load in a small rucksack seems to feel heavy because it is very concentrated,but i have tried light loads in larger rucksacks and they do not feel correct as they can slop around...Its those extra grams that break the back packers back...

▄bermensch john hee (www.walkaboutintheuk.co.uk)'s Avatar

"Surely you'll struggle rather badly to get digital radio reception in a lot of places you'll be walking?"

Actually I find the DAB signal to be stronger than FM in many parts of the Lakes, assuming you are ridge hopping. Certainly the case if you can see one of the bigger towns off in the distant murk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Serjeant View Post

To do this i usually only use5 main ingredients;Porridge,Potato powder,Colmans cheese sauce mix,Sosmix or Burger mix,Instant Semolina.These all require the minimum of cooking ,just boiling water and leave them to stand insulated in your hat.

Were you eating that mixture as a main course Chris?

It must have made a real mess of your hat........

Mini Goon

Hi Shuttleworth,the porridge was forbreakfast,the other ingredients were used in a variety of ways but never all together.

The hat either a Lowe Alpine hat or silk balaclave stay clean,but inside them fits a very neat, cheap,light aluminium pan surrounded by 2 plastic margarine [Vitalite bowls]Its a lightweight version of the old haybox works well and saves an awful lot of fuel.

Sorry if it is a serious answer to a jocular question and quote....chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Serjeant View Post

Sorry if it is a serious answer to a jocular question and quote....chris

I made a pot cosy the other week from the shiny silver bubblewrap. keeps a lot of heat in.
    I was considering the possibility of making cheesy mash with Colemans cheese sauce just the other day. Was going to try it with some dried onions in as well....

Well I was thinking of long wave not FM Very resilient reception for that.

(less stations of course but I happen to quite like radio 4 LW for walking)

Mini Goon
    i know this is an old thread, but crumbs, having just read this im a little concerned..... i'm new to multi day hiking with camping... and although i have yet to put my kit together to weigh it, i was looking at around 17+ kilo's for a 140km trip + weight of the bag.... (carrying all my food), its going to be interesting to see what all my kit adds up to,
    My GF was saying she would get me psychologically evaluated if i started doing things like sawing the handle off my tooth brush, i joked thinking that this was indeed just for the insane....but now i can see it is perhaps a little different. i think when i put my kit together i should weigh it then do the sawing offs and trimming downs of stuff to see just how much it can save.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom WIlson 2 View Post
    My GF was saying she would get me psychologically evaluated if i started doing things like sawing the handle off my tooth brush....
    No... what you're supposed to do is get your teeth pulled... throw away your toothbrush... and live off dehydrated mush.

A massive saving of approx 200g. (Actually... I have no idea how much teeth weigh!)

The money you get from the Tooth Fairy can be applied to the next best bit of lightweight outdoor kit!

▄bermensch Salmon Shirted Panther's Avatar

New tooth fairy rates is ú5.00 per tooth

My kids are spending my beer tokens on sweets.

Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom WIlson 2 View Post
    My GF was saying she would get me psychologically evaluated if i started doing things like sawing the handle off my tooth brush,
    I must confess to cutting off part of my toothbrush, but I did it so that it fitted better into a small wash bag. I've not cut the lables off my clothes yet, as some people do.

▄bermensch
    Usually cut my scrubing sponge for rinsing my pans in 4 quarters and take 1 quarter along the hike, the other 3 are replacements for next trips.

Goon
    I normally carry a book to read in the evening, the pages ive readthen double as toilet paper..I tried this once with a TGO magazine, unfortunatly the grease proof finish left my undercarraige somwhat.......i dont think i need to explain.