Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much does your pack weigh???

I thought that the end'y' had just been missed off therefrom an affectionate 'Frummy'!

‹bermensch
    I've never bothered with a trowel. I find the heel of my boot or a stick perfectly satisfactory.

‹bermensch
    Hugh - what kind of stuff do you dehydrate?

Maps, compass & bits like spare shoelaces are all on my list. I just didn't add it to the list on here yet. My maps are arriving tomorrow, my compass was in my pocket and i forgot about it ...I have spare shoelaces everywhere, so they're sorted now. Tissue paper, of course i will bring some, maybe a pack of boiled sweets too .

Oh yeah, inner soles as you mentioned Trevor, also are on my list of things to buy.The heel of these trainers are a bit hard on the inside.

depending what you listen to on the radio, apart from the weather forecast, http://www.radioarchive.cc/has quite an extensive list to download for an mp3 player.

I've never bothered withtoilet paper. I find the heel of my boot or a stick perfectly satisfactory. - Wrote Hugh.

Oh yeah, inner soles as you mentioned Trevor, also are on my list of things to buy.The heel of these trainers are a bit hard on the inside. - Wrote Donny.

Most folks on here do seem to rave about the effectiveness of the Superfeet brand - a sale price link for them I put into the Bargains thread the other week back by the way - but I've always used the older Sorbothane ones or else even simpler Gel ones like Boots and other places sell. They're not really that expensive to buy. Even the lovely cheapo grey Sorbothane brand ones from Millets/Blacks I find rather good too. Anything like that in your walking boots and shoes can make a real difference I really do feel.

Still hey, consider using at least one walking pole there Donny; as it is good to stabilise yourself with those, and it saves damage to your knees too to some effect,as you spread the weight you are carrying a little bit to the pole.

They still sell usefully cheap good proper walking poles in Robert Dyas for about a fiver each! Buy pretty much the same item in Milllets or elsewhere and you will pay fifteen quid or more! You can quite easily get by with a single pole ok too. You don't actually need to take a pair of them out with you as such, not on our trails here in the UK.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> A main meal that satisfies you and weighs 58 gramsis impressive.

It would certainly seem so.

Even if it consisted of pure fat at 9kcal/g, it would give you only 525 kcal.

> You don't actually need to take a pair of them out with you as such, not on our trails here in the UK.

One pole doesn't give you the benefit that a pair of poles does; it can only really act as a balance aid, rather than taking weight off the knees.

Depends what you want a pole for, I guess...

Boost bars are good. Asthe chocolate snack foods bars are the best choc type bar so far yet specially designed for adventurers. They're especially formulated for expedition useage. They were put together in response to requests for a high calorie for weight snack, for carrying by sled in the Arctic and Antarctica by expeditioner and explorer Sir Ran Fiennes you know!

Are Boost bars the ones with some goop in a toffee tube, covered in chocolate?

Because, if so, I don't think I'd fancy eating one at the poles. The toffee would be likely to break your teeth...

And, oddly it doesn't seem to feature on Cadbury's website. I'm sure they make far more products than are shown there...

You don't actually need to take a pair of them out with you as such, not on our trails here in the UK.

One pole doesn't give you the benefit that a pair of poles does; it can only really act as a balance aid, rather than taking weight off the knees.

Depends what you want a pole for, I guess... - Wrote cp.

Yes, you are technically most correct there, as of course any real weight transference is only effectively momentarily aiding one; whilst the pole ends are actually deployed in contactwith the ground surface. Walking with one pole in this way though I find, really does help me out a mite bit anyways.

I haven't bought a pole, maybe I'll just find a nice stick on my trek. I've done this on previous day-long walks, and they've helped alot.

http://thegearjunkie.com/gear-review...h-travel-wipes Has anyone yet seen these products on sale over here please? I'm also seeking a stockist for some Couglans camping accessories in the UK, especially if anyone knows where they sell the cheap yellow £1.50 stove fuel funnels currently please. Ryedale Rambler let me down there!

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by ALoveSupreme View Post
    Hugh - what kind of stuff do you dehydrate?
    Mostly casseroles and shepherd's pie. I've discovered that once cooked the dish should be allowed to cool and the exces fat removed with a spatula before dehydrating. I always add the fat once the food has been dehydrated.

Goon

Back to foods. Has anyone tried the trek bars by www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk ? you can get them from Holland and Barratt. I've only tried the peanut and oat one. They are the nicestenergy and protien bars I've tried. Somehow feel quite filling.

‹bermensch

Firstrule of food: never buy anything with the word "health", "natural", "energy"or "trek" written on the nasty plasticky packet.

All I can say to youHugh is that you are a dirty old b*st*rd and I am very impressed.

‹bermensch
    I'm not talking about the Shepherd's (obviously an individual portion) pie either.

'Admit it, you are a spy!'

'I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd!'

'Ah, so you are a shepherd's spie!'

The Goon show scripts.