Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much does your pack weigh???

What about some toilet paper to go with the toothbrushing kit then. I'd add a bit of soap or antibacterial gel maybe too. I carry a little toilet trowel with my loo paper when wild camping too. You likely can do without anything like alittle radio or a book to read for entertainment I suppose, for time spent in the tent. For myself though, I'd go stir crazy if I had nothing at all to read justonce in a while on a long trip/walk.

Also Donny, with all the weight you will be carrying there for that length of time; I think that I really do agree with Hugh, that you might well benefit from the extra support given by takingat least one walking/trekking pole with you there maybe.

Map and compass?

Goon

I'm 6ft and 13.5stone and have found that 750g of food is just about ok for me. This consists of porridge, energy bar, trail mix, dried fruit, wayfarers main meal, mars bar, sachet of hot chocolate, cuppasoup. a few tea bags and a little sugar and powdered milk. I always come back a few pounds lighter after a coupleof days walking but thats a good thing for me. I would do reasearch and take advantage of local facilities and only carry 2 or 3 days food max and replenish where and if possible.

trevor,i bought myself a digital personal radio with a built in mp3 player.i can have some music on while cooking then listen to an audio book when relaxing.saves the weight of a book.took a bit of getting used to listening to a book instead of reading but i enjoy it now.only weighs 100 grams.

Initiate
    Sam 09, on my guess work 750 grams/ day is 3000 Calories so you are in the same region as me except a bit heavier, and the same ratio more Calories.

Übermensch
    Derek & Paul

I'm afraid that I distrust rules about the number of calories or litres of water that should be consumed each day. I'm a pragmatist and I prefer to listen to what my body is telling me.

It was not my intention to imply that the food I listed was to last for 100 miles. If I were planning Donny's trip I would rely on replenishing supplies en route. I probably would carry six main meals because the food I dehydrate weighs very little and is so much more palatable than the heavier commercial products.

This is my normal pattern of living when backpacking during the temperate months of the year:
    0600 strike tent, drink water and start walking by 0630.
    After 5 miles eat 3 breakfast bars and drink a cup of tea.
    Walk till lunchtime and eat Ryvita & chorizo or cheese.
    Continue walking until about 1800 then eat 2 more breakfast bars.
    Continue walking during the evening until I find a suitable wild pitch.
    Erect tent and dine on dehydrated meal.
    During the day I would probably drink about a litre of liquid.

I am 5'6"" tall and weigh the same as Paul at 10.5 stone. I don't perspire heavily and my weight flucuates by no more than 2 lbs throughout the year.

I went backpacking across Dartmoor with my 16 year-old son last March. He took extra food for his personal use but always seemed ravenously hungry. Every time we passed a café, pub or shop he had to eat - it cost me a fortune! I, on the other hand was content to sit and watch him eat.

I have no idea, nor interest, in what my calorific intake is - I rely on what my body is telling me.

Marcus, yes I still wear a pair of tights in my sleeping bag but those I wore on my last trip belonged to my mistress, not my wife.

Goon

The weight of myfull kitbeforefoodand wateris 7.9kg.This is for a 3 night summer trip planning to camp high in the lakes if possible. 3 days of food 2250g and 2L water would bring the total to 12.17kg

This includes absolutelty everythingI will be needing.The weight is mainly due to the vango spirit 200 tent which weighs 2250g. The rucksack is a macpac amp 35 lite at 1200g.Sleeping bag is a macpac escapade 150 at 480g and a full length mat is 725g. Waterproof jacket is craghoppers pakka sport at 500g. The I've got micro fleece 272g, thermal base layer top withlong johns 450g.pocket rocket, gas, pan, 1st aid, compass map and case, gps, knife with scissors,suncream, hat, insect repellent, flannel, toothebrush and paste, phone, camera, wallet, toilet kit,head torch, all purpose soap.

I can't really cut this down much without getting a new tent which is not possible currently. It's deffo alot lighter than when I first started I was carrying 17kg.

trevor,i bought myself a digital personal radio with a built in mp3 player.i can have some music on while cooking then listen to an audio book when relaxing.saves the weight of a book.took a bit of getting used to listening to a book instead of reading but i enjoy it now.only weighs 100 grams. - Wrote Ray.

That does sound rather good indeed mate, what make is it please? Are they still being sold at the moment too, please?

Übermensch
    Sam

Why do you carry 2 litres of water in the Lake District? If you are concerned about contamination, you could save a lot of weight by using a lightweight water filter (mine weighs 52 grms).

Initiate

A main meal that satisfies you and weighs 58 gramsis impressive.

I am 56 years old 5'6" and 10.5 stone I am planning on going to the Pyrenese Haute Route in a few days time carrying dry food for the first7 days as there is no resupply on route except 2 refuges that only sell meals not supply food. I am starting with over 4 kilograms of food. I were Hugh I could carry half that. if I tried halving my rations I would fade away.

Mind you I will be carrying 3 kilo of my partner's weight to equalize our climbing ability and ice axe and crampons to see if we can get to some peaks.

As well as your not listing a map and compass there Donny, I wanted to ask you about your footwear there too. Are you planning on using the shoes as they came out of the box as it were, straightfrom the factory/store there mate? I wondered if you were going to use a good shock reducing insole/footbed of some kind too for this walk maybe, in place of the one that the shoe came with originally you see?Like a Superfeet or a Sorbothane type of a thing really. As they might well make the shoes weigh slightly heavier, but at the same time you will benefit greatly comfort-wise I believe from that move.

You also list spares, but not a 'running repairs' kit of any kind much. Certainly not so much as even a basic thing like spare shoelaces seems to be there in your listing. Worth carryng I always do feel, as I know from prior bad experience what a pain in the arse it can be to end up with a broken boot/shoe lace when walking outdoors. They weigh next to nothing after all. Worthwhile considering maybe, as you don't need to have them just sitting in the pack or pocket doing nothing at all necessarily. I use mine in my jacket pockets sometimes. I always then know where they are. Tied into a pocket, either to/through a button hole or using a fixing point that some pockets on outdoors kit have, the little Swiss Army pocket knife and whistle or some other small item like a mini-compass I might well carry,can then be tied onto the other end. So you always know, say in the dark or mist, exactly where those items are on your person too -as part of one's set routine/personal admin. They're located at the end of the boot/shoe lace there! That way they cannot be lost to you from out of a pocket either too, say during a fall or through a sudden accidental dunking in a stream/river.

Of course you don't definitely have to carry spare laces as such - but just something that can be improvised to do that job when and if required in an emergency. So paracord - the proper stuff, not the cheap copy stuff - good too, or strong string even. But not garden twine as that may look robust but just breaks far too easily. Worth considering such little seemingly insignificant things perhaps in one's detailed trip plannings.

Goon

Hugh,

I'm not worried about the water quality asI boil it in the evenings and also carry chlorine tabs forthe day timeso maybe I don't need to carry 2L.I am planning to start a walk in the afternoon up highstreet from the northern end and camp somewhere high without making a water stop until the next day.I haven't yet fully investigated howaccessible the river and stream heads are in terms of from the path. I don't want todescend a long waythen carry itback upto the path.

The inclusion into one's standard kit of a simple little water purification filter/or some water puri tabs at the very least for expedient emergency drinking water uses, is also a very good idea as Hugh rightly too suggests.

Übermensch
    Sam

You're right - there is very little accessible or reliable water on the High Street ridge. The water in Redcrag Tarn, 3 km south of Loadpot Hill, is definitely not potable and is usually surrounded by a horrible bog. I've never investigated Keasgill Sike but I would not rely on it.

Also, I expect you know that the routes that tend to show the correct line of the paths are the black pecked lines not the green rights of way. This can be misleading in poor visibility and makes searching for a tiny beck even more problematic.

Shame on you all. Trevor was the only one in the entire thread to mention carrying a trowel. Do the rest of you use something else to dig holes with, or just leave unpleasant traces of your passing (pun intended)?

Goon

On my first solo wild camp I carriedmainly tins of food with rice, breadand even took eggs for breakfast. Boy it was nice butheavy. Now I have learnt to to be more basic but still get a good lot of calories but taking smarter stuff ie, 100g of trail mix from Holland & Barrat I think has over500 cals. 2 sachets of Oats so simple golden syrup flavour is 82g and gives you 432 cals.

I have a spare shoe lace tied to my compass I can wear it round my neck and tuck it down my teashirt. Or wrap it round my wrist to stop dropping it.

I take a spare pole sleeve with about 9 inches of duct tape wrapped carefully round it as a mini roll of duct tape. It weighs 11g.

Also got one of those really small swiss army knives with scissors 25g

My Fist aid is. 60g. It wasa little red life venture trek kit but have ditched the case and kept asmall bandage, swab, dressing, 10cm ofplasters, 6 paracetol, tweezers and addedcholrine tabs and waterproof matches. And keep it in a little plastic bag. So have saved 140g.

Goon

Frumm

I did put tiolet kit on my list and I meant trowel and paper. Does that count ?

Goon

Hugh

Yes thanks for that, I've not bee to high street before and my initial thoughts from looking at the map was similar to what you have mentioned.So may only fill up once every 24hrs.

Sam09, yes it does. Congratulations. BTW, what does your trowel weigh? I took a hacksaw to mine and reduced the blade to 5"long X 1 1/4". Then I used a file to sharpen the edges so it would cut through Lake District turf . I must admit this is much easier to do with a cheap mild steel trowel than a stainless one.

I notice you have given my name an extra "m" - an increase of 25% in name - weight. I'm not going to carry that.