Thread: How To Stay Hydrated On The Hill

Widdler

the trick we used during my tour in Iraq from august, 65 celcius, and to february, 2 celcius, was:

drink until your urin are clear as water and drink in advance, f.ex. if we were going on a patrol the next day we start drinking and filling water depots the day before

Hi there Brian, and welcome to the OM forum. We did in fact cover this issue in a couple of threads over the last few months back. Particularly after some folks were pulled off of a hill in the States suffering from the heat and from lack of adequate hydration. Drinking more water than you need right off before a hike works for some it seems, to some degree anyway. It doen't seem to work as well for me I found. Everybody's metabolism is somewhat different though, so that fact might explain the differences.

Widdler
    Apart from the occasional energy providing snack, it is vital,especially in the warmer Summer months to remain properly hydrated.

Those of us who have attempted seriously long walks,such as the Welsh 3000s or Lakeland 3000s, can probably remember getting dehydrated, it just creeps up on you.

Its effects can be severe cramp and nauseas headaches, but it need not be like that.

CamelBak and Platapuss have been producing Hydration systems for many years, and one can buy a beautifully made day sac with one of the Hydration bladders already installed.

I own three CamelBak pacs, and even though they are heavy to carry for a certain time, the knowledge that readily available water is only a sip away, can make a walk memorable during the warmer months.

Wowie! Am impressed you even managed to find this little thread from good old 2008 on here, Peter!
    Trevor DC Gamble

http://www.skillsforwildlives.com/20...tion-outdoors/

This link is interesting I thought.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Goon

I do think that with the modern approach to many things we tend to get hung up on this. When Ilived in North Wales and was out on the hills several times a week, often for long days, I never carried more than a small Sigg bottle with water. If it was anything other than the summer I didn't bother at all as there are plenty of streams. I am not disagreeing with the medical facts that we dehydrate but question statements that suggest that its vital to keep drinking when we are talking about relatively short periods of relatively low level exercise.

Shoving your head in a stream every couple of hours is more than enough to keep you alive and functioning.

Yes, it's important to keep watered up, but a typical body has evolved in a way that accounts for this by making you thirsty when you need a drink. If you're not thirsty you generally don't need a drink.

Pete.

I think you're right Peter. I recall a scientific test was carried out recently to assess performance with or without additional water (done using a drip) and found level of hydration was not nearly as important as certain drink firms keep telling us. So drink when you are thirsty as you said - no need to over hydrate.

Goon

I am sure that a Tor de France rider might well notice dehydration affecting performance but I reckon that for most of us there are plenty of other factors as well.

I'll be honest and say that I am ignoring what you might feel like in the car on the way home. That's nowt to do with the day on the hills.

Initiate

Dehydration occurs before thirst and thirst can occur without dehydration.

Maintaining the correct levels of hydration and timely intervention while losing water at a high rate matter greatly to physical and mental performance.

If you don't think the above is true, you can research it yourselves...or not.

Mini Goon

Hi

I also read thirst is a poor indicator of hydration. Something along the lines thirst kicks in when you are already dehydrated.

read an article , where they split athletes up,into three groups

a. no water

b. Drink when thirsty

c. Drink a measured amount at definite intervals.

the testing showed group c where better hydrated and performed much better with less fatigue.

i carry a 3 litre platypus , but have recently added a drinksafe filter . So only fill to one litre and refill from streams. I notice I often have little sips where I wouldn't bother getting a bottle out.

john

A new article here upon this important outdoors topic.
    https://thetrek.co/tips-tricks-staying-hydrated-trail/
    Trevor DC Gamble

Widdler
    You can use a water filter so it's easy to find water anywhere on the trails and stay hydrated. Happy traveling.
    Visit my blog HikerTrack to find useful tips for hiking, camping and survival skills.

Mountaineering can not drink pure water, but also to drink "salt water", that is rich in sodium, potassium and other electrolytes water. If you drink water lack of electrolytes, water will not be able to be effectively absorbed by the body, dehydration also quietly.

I tend to do the over drinking ahead of a walk so its in my system. I've walked many routes in the UK and Spain. Spain is obviously a lot hotter and the sun can be intense. As such, ensuring you have a hat or some kind of head protection is a vital part of the process. I always carry a litre of water with me as a minimum when going on any kind of major hike.

65 Celsius is too hot to endure.

‹bermensch
    Hiking when its hot, so add a packet rehydration salts to the water bottle. Can notice the difference in energy levels afterwards..improves.