Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Lakeland 100 Section

Widdler

Hi Marc

Having spent a day up at Coniston I have succumbed to now wanting to buy a GPS for the race. Is the Garmin H or Garmin 60 compatible with the downloads you are supplying.

I just have to convince the Mrs. that the choiceto spend the money on a new Garmin that we can use for other treks, walks 'n' runs or to lose me on the Lakeland 100......not sure I want the answer from her!!

I have to hold my hand up and say that i am no technical expert with GPS, we can provide the route sections as GPX files and memory map files and you can then upload them into your computer software whatever that may be..

Once you have the route on your computer you can edit, chop and change as you please to suit but having spent many an hour on the phone to garmin support (who i have to admit have been brilliant) they assured me that E-Trex H was suitable and as that's the cheapest that's the one i bought.

You may get much better advice / guidance from someone more experiened on here..

Hi All.

I have entered the 100 and so I can get a good look at the route I have marked the route on Google earth. Having looked at the whole route it looks like it will be a good day and half out on the hills.

If anyone wants the route file to have look for yourself send me your email address or maybe the orginizers may want to add it to the site as adownload.

Pete

Widdler
    I have marked the route up on my harveys 1:40,000 map. Peter does it look any easier on google earth?

Hi Andy, Easier might not be the right word. But it does give yougood look at the paths and tracks. Also the virtual fly by gives you a good idea of the hills.

Does anyone know if there is a list of all the runners who have entered? and if there is where is it on the site?

It would be nice to see who all teh other mad people are.

Anyone doing the Ridgeway as well?

Hi Peter,

There will be a list of runners going on the site before the event and i would be interested in your googlemap, lets get it on the site!

If you can email to info@lakeland100.com it would be much appreciated

Hi,

Are there drop bag facilities at any point on the route or does a runner have to take all spare kit/food etc with him from the start?

Thanks

Widdler
    I did the Ridgeway last year, and have entered the 100 this year. I'd have great admiration for anyone who did both in the same year.

Hi Marc.

Just wanted to check you got the route for Google Earth?

Also, I want to confirm the number of CP's, are they as per the route stages?

Markr, my plan is to do both, the 100 and the Ridgeway. Must admit though, I forgot the Bank holiday is early this year. But I've got nothing planned afterwards.

That's going to be impressive runnign Peter.

Assuming I come through the Kent 52 in one piece, I suspect I'll be grabbing a last minute entry for the Ridgeway along with my usual running partner. Which of course means we'll be doing it unsupported. Just got to work out what unsupported means in practice!

Hi Peter, just checked my spam box and found it in there, very impressive this google earth thing although Paul has crashed his F16 14 times on the flight simulator in the last 10 minutes. Will get the route up on site asap for people to view.

The CPs are almost as the route stages, we have recently finalised everything and there are a few changes where checkpoints have been moved to accomodate landowners etc. The route itself is unchanged, only the position of the checkpoints and we will update this on site asap and in the roadbook on competitor area. Only main change is the final checkpoint before coniston is now at tilberthwaite quarry, couple of miles further on than original one.

Hungry Hippo.. you have a bag drop at the 50 mile point if doing the 100, no bag drop if doing the 50.

Regards
    Marc Laithwaite

Cheers Marc.

Just recovering from a knee op and trying to decide which to do. would much prefer to try the 100 but might be a step too far! would prefer to do the 1st 50 route-wise though ... if I enter the 50 can I do the 1st bit instead and finish at Dockray!

Widdler

Any etrex H experts out there!? Bought one for the 100 but having problems getting whole route on.

Can only upload 10 saved tracks to this device. Need 17 tracks the way the route is split on competitors page. Garmin website confirms this limit on saved tracks for etrex H.

I have tried uploading whole route (also the 50) and both get truncated when I do. Are these files too big for etrex H? Garmin website says etrex H will allow 10,000 points for a track log. Sounds like enough!!

I used freeware mapping program called OKMap to upload the gpx files.

Any ideas most welcome otherwise back to more traditional methods....

Is anyone out there?

I am wondering whether (1) all L100 competitors aretoo busy/serious to use forums or (2) whether there are only a handful of runners for the L100.

This thread plus RW and TriTalk are all very quiet. This makes me nervous as I am increasingly apprehensive about spending the first night's session all on my own.

So c'mon...own up. Is there anyone else out there? Anyone who might be arriving at Seathwaite at around 9:50-10:00, Boot at around 11:20 and W Head around 12:30. I would really appreciate some company!!

I plan run most of first hour, then settle into 20/20 run walk for most of first half (except power walk uphill sections) then possible settle into 15/15 R/W for the rest. It would be great to find someone planning similar pacing.

Dave

I have the e-trex and have reccied the entire route with it. As you say you can only put 10 tracks on so I have chosen the most difficult ones and because I know the area quite well am taking the chance that i will cope with navigating the ones that are left. The ones that seem fairly easy even with my poor sense of direction are Wasdale to Buttermere, Braithwaite to Keswick to Threlkeld, Dockray to Pooley Bridge, Ambleside to Elterwater and Elterwater to Fell Foot. Hope this helps but please dont sue me if you get lost.

Team Hurtmore

I think the reason that there are not many on the forum is that none of us want to admit to doing anything so stupid. x

Widdler

Team Hurtmore

Sounds like a plan!!

I'll try nkeep up with you as long as poss, particularly through the night. Working through the route and looking at the Google Earth Fly through....it was quite easy watchin this from the sofa with my feet up!!

Kev

Kev,

Great to hear that I might have some company. I hope that there will be a few of us around CPI at appox 10:00 who might buddy up for the dark hours. I dont fancy the sections between CP2 and CP4/5 on my own - I am scared of the dark!!

Sunset is forecast for just after 9:00, so I expect that means we have another 30-40m before it gets really dark? That should be most of the first leg, hopefully!

I hope that it is a cloudless night as I imagine the section from Wasdale to Braithwaite will be awesome in the dark when/if our eyes adjust to the dark. Sunrise is forecast for 5:33 so I assume that it will get lightjust before 5:00. I am looking forward to a spectacular sunrise somewhere near Keswick.

Widdler

Team Hurtmore

Good ideas about GPS. I promise not to sue!! Ultimately there is only me that can get me lost.I prefer tothink on it as being temporarily unsure of where I am but never lost!I bought the etrex because originally it seemed to be compulsory. It will be handy as a backup. I have figured some things out. The gpx files can be simplified (with some loss of detail) and merged with various bits software to fit on to etrex.

My guess is that unless the entry is very small (we'll know Monday) there will be plenty of company so early in the event. I hope you enjoy the night section and that it is one night out for you not two. Good luck.

Widdler

Dave

sorry it was me who posted about the GPS. The second bit was for team hurtmore as he asked why no one was posting.

Sorry I am not used to this new fangled tinternet thingy

Mand