Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Lakeland 100 Section

The new Lakeland 100 and Lakeland 50 challenge events take place in the Lakes on 8-10 August 2008. This new forum section is for discussion about the events, training, tactics, transport and so on.

Race Director Marc Laithwaite will be dropping by to answer any queries you may have and to supply further information about the event as it gets closer.

You can find full details of the event at www.lakeland100.com where you can also enter online and download a PDF of the entire route.

Finally, don't forget that OM members can win a free place on the OUTDOORSmagic Lakeland 50 team along with a free fitness assessment and advice from Marc in our Lakeland 50 competition.

Thanks Jon

For us this is a great place to host a forum thread as it allows competitors to discuss the event with each other and with outdoor enthusiasts. We will check the thread every week to answer any questions but any general enquiries can be directed to info@lakeland100.com

After seeing all the '3 Peak Challenge' competitors traipsing up Scafell Pike at the weekend and the chaos caused to the surrounding area at all times of the day and night, the rubbish everywhere, the erosion caused by the "race" attitude of most of the people and the depression caused to the locals I can't wait for more of these events!

I had a look at the website mentioned but cant see anywhere what happens to the profit from the event, I must have missed the bit about ploughing some the money back into the area?

Fear not Dobbo.. this is no 3 peaks challenge

I have been speaking to national trust today and discussing the issues at Wasdale relating to the 3 peaks and how we can pass through without any impact.

We agreed with the sponsors in advance that their cash would be allocated to pay for village halls, farmers fields etc and the full amounts must all be put back into Cumbria. The event will create a large chunk of money which will go back to local businesses and the remainder is donated to footpaths repair for each valley we pass through. I don't know of any other event doing the same although i amy well be wrong.

If anyone dropped litter they would be disqualified (presuming they were spotted) but i think you underestimate the people who enter these kind of events. Long distance walkers and trail / fell runners are outdoor enthusiasts just like you and spend most weekends on the fells, they are not the kind of people who drop litter and cause damage.

I assure you that we will do more that cover our footrpint!

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post

After seeing all the '3 Peak Challenge' competitors traipsing up Scafell Pike at the weekend and the chaos caused to the surrounding area at all times of the day and night, the rubbish everywhere, the erosion caused by the "race" attitude of most of the people and the depression caused to the locals I can't wait for more of these events!
    No "race" would survive itsinaugural showing if that's what was to happen Dobbo.

Good luck with the event Marc - unfortunately I won't be able to squeeze it into my calendar for this year(right between trips to Slovenia and Donegal, with 2 races to doin that week!) but I hope it's a success and there'll be another chance to do it in 2009.

Anyone elsegoing to enter?

I would be champing at the bit, but I have a prior engagement riding pairs at a 24-hour mountain bike race on the same weekend

Sorry guys, this is the same weekend as the Kinlochleven OM meet and I've already booked everything.

Hmm, could've done with a thread like this for the Fellsman, but no OMersseemed to be doing it! I managed to finish it more dead than alive, swore I would never, ever, do it again...

...but I've booked that weekend off next year, just in case! Amazing how the human brain forgets the misery, innit?

It's too soon for me this year, but good luck to all those taking part. Hope you enjoy it!

Sounds like a great event to me....

I might just give it a whirl if I can make the time etc etc etc blah blah excuses excuses in advance.

really looking forwards to this event. i'm only doing the fun run though, with an eye to doing the 100 next year.

marc, how many people have you got signed up for the 100 and fun run?

7 weeks tommorrow, cant wait

and what's wrong with someone making a profit?

I'm running (walking/crawling) the 'Classic Quater' in Cornwall on 28th. If I'm not put off by this I'll be there.

How many people are expected on the fun run & main event?

Dave

Entries have been steadily building over last8 weeks and we have a healthy number at the moment, certainly above our minimum requirement for the event to go ahead!We have enquiries on a daily basis but very hard to gauge finalentry numbers for the event as so many people will only enter in the weks prior to the event (i do this myself every time). Having organised quite a few cycle sportives, trail events etc i'm used to the late entry rush in the final month and swear that next time i will not get stressed.. doesn't work..

One interesting thing i have noted is that to date50% have entered the 100 and 50% the 50, i initially thought that we would get 25/75% split at best. The 50 is manageable by most walkers and we wanted to organise an event which wasn't onlyfor the 'elite' hence the 2 routes. I don't think the 50 will be easy by any means (otherwise wouldn't be a challenge) but the 24 hour time limit allows people more time to complete.

Fun run..? Isn't that a contradiciton in terms?

I'm looking forward to the event, but definitely can't afford to buy a GPS for it, as recommended. I'm not sure why there's so much emphasis on this, as I enter long/overnight events regularly, and am confident witha map & compass.

Widdler

Hi everyone

Yes I can't wait for the race, with training going quite well at the moment. This is my first 100 miler. I completed a 50 mile ultra trail race down near Aldershot in Hampshire back in October and now have a real taste for it!! It's amazing how quickly you can forget the pain during and after the race....but so worth it!!

I am trying to borrowa GPS at the moment. I have a couple of people I am trying but If anyone knows someonewho may be kind enough to lend a GPS please can you let meknow.

Good luck with the training and see you all on the day.

The communication and feedback for this has been superb, thanks Marc.

Usinga GPS isn't compulsory by any means, it is optional. If you are good with map and compass there should be no need for one at all and the road book is very self explanatory and describes the route in words. As an event organiser i just want everyone to be safe and enjoy the event, if a GPS makes it easier then it should be considered.

I spoke to a lady (will remain anonymous)who had entered the 50 and purchased a GPS, she went to try it out and found it so easy to use and made navigation so easy that she immediately upgraded to the 100!! Brilliant!!

I guess there are 2 sides to the coin.. i used to orienteer a fair bit and really enjoy the navigation aspect so i think i would use the map, but at night if i was really tired i may just quietlyswitch onthe GPS and switch myselfoff..

marc, you mention that maps will be supplied, what scale will these be?

Will be 1:25,000 for this year so you will be carrying a fair few sheets in your pack!

ta

I would love to do it, but already entered in for the Kent 52 and provisionally the Ridgway in August, so can't make it

Hope it goes well ... if only so I can run it next year