Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest TGO

Shin splints, I haven't had the since I was wearing boots.

Never worn mukluks, I do have moccasins, they came from Ft Bill though.

ALS, I'm not persistently evading your challenge. I never accepted it in the first place. This is a discussion forum. I'm not interested in challenges or competition or point scoring. I've said where my information comes from and, with my knowledge and experience, I think its correct. I am not confused about pronation and over-pronation. You can find descriptions on many websites on running, foot problems, podiatry and more. I've already said that Superfeet don't cure anything, they alleviate symptons, that's all. The biomechanics of feet is not psuedo-science or hocus-pocus pathology.

Superfeet, Conform'able and other supportive footbeds work for some people, including me. Raging all you like won't change that.

All we can really do then is to try a thing to see if it works for us or not. Simple!

Chris

I have a challenge for you .... Well not really a challenge, more of a question thingy.

Walking poles - is there any data (anecdotal will do nicely) that demonstrates impact reduction on limbs ankles etc by using them?

Does the use of poles effectively reduce the weight carried by supporting the user?

Iam not a pole user, but wonder what the benefits may be if I did.

I thought it just basic science sense that extra support equals extra stability. Bipedal man becoming either a tripod with a single pole or a quadruped, like four limbed animals with two poles being used. Thus weight is more effectively distributed to cut down wear and tear on joint tissues etc.

fb, there's undoubtedly some research on the benefits of poles somewhere. I used to have references to some of it - but that was before the web!

I don't think poles reduces the weight carried by supporting the user but that's not something I've considered greatly.

I think the main advantages of poles are for balance and stability on steep and unstable ground, especially with a heavy pack, and for taking some weight off your feet and legs and transferring it to your arms (new pole users can get sore arms and shoulders).Poles are also useful for balance when fording streams, probing bogs and snow to see how deep they are and for maintaining a rhythm on level ground and level trails (though I often put my poles away then).

I think nordic style pole use, or PacerPoles give the impression of taking weight of as it's propelling the top half of your body forward, taking some of the load. It's a "virtual" thing though , it would be hard to quantify.

Adventure racers are starting to use lightweight flexible poles more, and they use nothing without a purpose.

Thanks Chris

The only real use I can percieve is for river crossingstability (but I get by without). I am trying to find an excuse that has some real reason to carry walking poles rather than the pole to my Golite Hex. But I just cant find one really. For walkingpole users the shelter is 400g lighter as they dont need the tent pole. However as a non walking pole user I am stuffed with carrying extra weight. I had rather hoped I could justify using walking poles to satisfy this through scientific data rather than just fooling myself that the shelter is lighter if you see what I mean.

Oh well back to the drawing board...

Mick

Thanks for the links - but when I see people who look like that I always want to shout at them 'YOU HAVE LOST YOUR SKIS YOU NUMPTY' But I would suggest that is more down to my own levels of ignorance...

ptc* - I think I might just look a bit further into the adventure racer line - as you say nothing without a purpose.

We've had this discussion before FB - I've broken my Brasher pole (well, the kids did that but won't own up!) & haven't rushed to replace it. That said, I did use a wooden staff 'thumbstick' my nephew had made - was great for crossing water, probing boggy ground etc, and something to lean on at stops! Not telescopic, though far more green, being perfectly biodegradable. And cheap.

Ultra King

FB

just more to carry i think.

Poles, I find that on long grinding climbs and descents they take a lot of pressure off the knees, other wise I'm not keen on them

http://www.mountainzone.com/gear/pro...w.asp?rid=1223 Superfeet Greens. I might try gtting some of them myself now.

Right that settles it - If my knees start to hurt I will use poles until then I will carry the tent pole.

thanks Guys.

Advebture racing pole are kinda like tent poles so they collapse small for stowing.

fb, I've used the Hex 3 with trekking poles and they bend in winds in the way the tent pole doesn't. I'm suspicious as to their strength so I still use the tent pole. I think the reason it's so big and heavy is so it will withstand the force of the wind on the tent.

It is possible that by using poles before your knees hurt they won't start to hurt!