Thread: Where to go

Ultra King Dave O aka Jungle Dave ;)'s Avatar
    Help I'm getting to the stages of insane boredom as I finish uni on the 1st of JUNE and am now very worried that I'm not going to be able to go and do much walking anywhere!
    Has anybody any suggestions please?

Widdler
    You can keep in touch with what is and is'nt open on the MAFF website.
    WWW.MAFF.CO.UK or another useful site is
    WWW.IPROW.CO.UK It's not possible to do much walking at the minute, but by the time you finish Uni there should be some paths open. Good luck.

Scotland's the best bet, wuite a few places open already. Check the MofS web site: http://www.mountaineering-scotland.o...am_update.html
    I'm off up there myself next week :-)

The Forestry Comission has some open forests in England for those of us who can't easily reach Scotland. I have a feeling I'm going to end up in Wendover Wood this weekend. Either that or the Essex coast.
    --Mjausson

Emmigrate fercrissakes. You know it makes sense. South America's nice about that time of year and you can get casual work as a llama herder. Send us a post card...

Widdler
    I agree, I'm going inter-railing instead of walking in Scotland this year... because I don't want to risk wasting my hard earned holiday if the epidemic worsens.
    Hopefully I'll get to do some hiking in new surroundings while I'm at it!

Technically I think it's supposed to be getting better - I reckon the crux of the whole thing will come when the outbreak is confined to isolated areas like Cumbria and Devon and someone has to make the decision to open up other parts of the UK, the Peak for example which still has no cases but is pretty much entirely closed bar a couple of enclosed rail-bed trails and some roadside crags for climbing.

It's not walkers who spread this thing, it's agricultural workers and has been said time and time again, the chances of a walker, biker or climber not working in agriculture, transmitting the virus after walking in two different non-excluded areas are miniscule.

Apparently our best hope is a spell of really hot, dry weather, so don't hold your breath.

Meanwhile there's too much irrational panic and not enough sober analysis of the real risks involved in public access to non-effected areas, which is what the outdoor oganisations should be campaigning for instead of rolling over to have their tummies tickled by the government and farmers.

Oh, the farmers, you know, our unelected government. The ones we have to worry about while the tourist and outdoors industries go to the wall.

I am going to emigrate Jon, don't worry. It's just a matter of finding somewhere to go. New Zealand looks tempting. So does Australia. Number one choice is still California. I'm dreaming of doing the Pacific Crest Trail. Anybody here who's done that?
    --Mjausson

U may not have heard of them but the Malvern Hills, in... U guessed it... Malvern, are not amazingly high, up to 1395ft, but the main area is gonna B opened up this Saturday (21st Apr), and I can tell U that as an employee of Malvern Outdoors, we have been hit hard by the F&M, so if U feel like a nice walk of not particularly strenuous or lengthy proportions, then please come to Malvern (Worcestershire), and if U do decide 2 come, then if U could pay a visit 2 Malvern Outdoors, then Paul Ferguson, the Director, would B extremely happy.

I know that I'm probably talking 2 a brick wall, seeing as most ppl here would prefer 2B going up Snowdon (like me) or Cloggy (unlike me), and a little hill of 1395ft, is of no relavance 2U@ all but it can B quite steep in places. U can take the hardest paths, and they can actually B quite strenuous. Harder than the pygg route NEway.

U may've picked up on my like of Snowdon.

We have the Mamba as well, if U've seen the report on it. It's quite nice actually.

1395ft is 425m. Puny even by southeast standards. I'm going shopping on Oxford Street tomorrow and then I'll probably work. :-(
    --Mjausson

Trust me, there R some pretty steep bits. If U do walk up the east or north side of the maginatively named north hill, then U will B pleased 2 C the top. It's not a long distance, it's just bloody steep, and also quite messy on the ground. It's alweays wet, and so U will slip a hell of a lot. I mean going up about 100ft, and forwardsa bout 300 m, well I don't know about U but, it's pretty steep in my book. 4 walking NEway. It may B "puny", but it still manages 2 attract a fair no. of tourists, not as many as we'd like though!

Actually went to the North Malvern's on Monday for an afternoon bumble. I wouldn't decry any hill. You can make them seen higher by taking a convoluted route that goes over hills back down and back over again (can't do anything about the people though!) Nice to get some fresh air. Quite a contrast to Stob Corrie nan Lochan the other day though. One thing begs a question, why were they shut in the first place? There's no livestock and they are circled by a road.

It's all mad I tell you. If Idwal and Glyder Fawr are safe to re-open then why not Glyder Fach?

And what on earth is going on in the Peak? As far as I can see there's absolutely no reason not to re-open all the paths and bways in the Peak area beyond the pg-headed paranoia of local farmers. Where am I going to pick up the virus between my front door (in an infection-free, low-risk, urban area) and the top of say, Bleaklow. It's nonsense in the most literal way. All without any rational justification apart from keeping local farmers happy.

Why should it make them happy? Because there's now less chance of me spreading a virus which I could not possibly be spreading.

Sure, if some dumb-witted agricultural worker from an infected farm went walking in the Peak in his unwashed boots and clothing, then came into close contact with livestock, that might transmit it. Er, wouldn't it make more sense to ban such workers from the hills rather than banning everyone?

And what's this all about again? Yep, the narrow economic interests of farmers which take precedence over:

? the much more significant economic interests of the tourism and outdoor industries

? the date of the general election

? the rights of walkers, climbers and bikers to use public rights of way.

? the lives of healthy animals in their hundreds of thousands

? common sense

... so, a big thanks very much to the totally inflexible folk at Maff who refused to introduce vaccination because it would damage a livestock export industry which is now in pieces anyway.

To the media who swallow everything they're told about 'this terrible disease' and the poor farmers. The reality is all about economics and not UK economics, but farmers' economics.

To the government which is apparently being run by the NFU

It beggars belief. The only thing that keeps me sane is knowing that I'm off to southern Spain soon for some infection-free mountain biking.

Mad, absolutely bloody mad.

Jon

Completely mad. I agree. So what are we going to do about it? How about a mass trespass? Signature collection? Petitioning the government to pass a law making it illegal for councils to keep footpaths closed for no apparent reason? I'm as fed up as you. So let's do something!
    --Mjausson