Thread: Fabsil

Greetings to all. Im considering spraying my tent with fabsil, as the fly is silicoated. Have any of you had experience with this waterproofer, Did it work ok? All comments appreciated. Glenn

I remember using it in years gone by, with reasonable results. I think that Grangers Superproof or Nikwax proofing agents will probably do a more effective job though.

do grangers or nikwax have a silicon based product??

I don't think they do have a silicone based product, but I think you need to get past the notion that silicone equals "best". The coatings and fabric encapsulations that come out of factories are very, very different kettles of fish to a wash in or spray on proofing and just becuase (arguably) the best of those are silicone based doesn't mean that will carry over to a home spray on.

If a tent is in a factory-coated silicone elastomer fabric then it shouldn't be letting in any water, except perhaps at untreated seams, so there's little to gain by adding fabsil. If it's leaking then the coating is knackered and while fabsil or similar will help with that for highly un-extreme camping, for anything serious it's time to consider a new fly.

Pete.

I remember Fabsil...

I used to spray it liberally all over my first pair of hiking boots - Hitec Trails

And it allowed me about 5-10 more minutes of dry feet at the outset of any highland walk. Almost completely useless.

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar

I think it is OK for cotton ripstop material but that is about it!

I have used it on a cotton hat and an old army cotton combat jacket and both worked well.

(made them a bit smelly though)

thanks for your comments lads. I got me an eureka autumn wind on fleabay, and as its not new (although the fly doesnt look at all deteriorated) I just wanted to make sure it was sound. Should get a weekend in it this bhwe

Ultra King

Fabsil Gold is the one to get. It is supposed to be closer to the performance of factory coatings for other waterproofed fabrics. Tents are slightly different. You might be able to get it cheaper and in larger quantities from Shops selling horse tack thingys as they use it in equestrian circles I believe.

Bear in mind that after market waterproof coatings will need to be used regularly as they never last as long as original coatings in any application.

Contact the tent manufacturer as they might supply a replacement fly directly cheaply.

Mini Goon
    We used to use Fabsil on the old heavy cotton tents at a school where I often took kids out on hikes but the stuff we used was diluted in a bucket and painted onto the tent with a brush.It seemed to work OK but we had little to compa.re it to in those far off days

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/is...shopscr34.html The Granger's Fabsil product range is huge now, including the better Gold product. I used to use the older basic Fabsil spray on stuff a lot, but now some of the super-performance products they do simply paint on, with a brush within the can top instead.

http://www.tentawningclinic.fsnet.co...erproofing.htm

GlennGeorge64

Did it work on the Autumn Wind? Mine leaks (sometimes) so I think I need to do something with it..... Only have problems in really bad conditions such as continual heavy rain or storms

Here are some conjunction rules if you forget how to use it. I will get back soon!