Thread: Wengen, Switzerland

My mum's taking my Gran to Wengen at some point over the next couple of months, and was wondering when the best time is to see the flowers at their best...

Has anyone spent much time there during the summer or does anyone know when the best time would be? Replies much appreciated as flights apparently need booking soon.

Shay.

‹bermensch

I am not an expert but would think that mid - late May would be best. There is still quite a bit of snow at 2000 m so the best time might be a week later. I am sure others might know better. Have you tried e-mailing the wengen tourist office?

info(at)wengen.ch

OK thanks mate, I'll say to mum to do that. I was thinking early- to mid-June would be best, but perhaps thats a little late on.

Cheers!

I have been to the Jungfrau Region of Switzerland on several occasions either in July or later on in the season. If you go too early the Spring snows will still be lying and several of the higher passes closed. I would suggest at least waiting till June.

I've been to the region twice, once in August and once in the second week of July. In the July the flowers were probably getting past their prime. There was no snow to speak of on any of the usual touristy trails on the Wengen-Grindlewald area. Im sure it's a stunning area at any time of year.

Goon
    Nice shots Ben. I've often sat at the lake above First, wonderful views. June is the earliest I've been and the flowers and wild azaleas were just a little past their best then. I would think late May but obviously it all depends on the snow cover.

This website is really rather good to go looking at I think. I enjoyed a surf through there in february time. www.stc.co.uk

They also do a damn fine free guide to Switzerland Hiking too in fact! Lots of good info at their website there.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/home This though is the home web page of Switzerland travel! Very packed full of information it is too!

www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/europe/switzerland

Whilst I think of it, the LP, Lonely Planet website, always has good informational travellers resources too, thatmight wellhelp you out in your trip planning.....anywhere! But here above is the link for the Swiss facts in particular, with more available at their online Thorntree travellers forum too. Hope you have a very nice trip!

http://www.jungfrau.com

and Jungfraubahnare two sites I used lots when I went.

Initiate
    Nice pics Ben,im doing the tour of the Jungfrau from July 2nd,glad to hear there shouldn,t be to much snow about.

Ah, that looks like a lovely route. I was considering doing that this year but have walked alot of it anyway (especially the stuff to the east of the Lauterbrunnen valley). I was there roughly 7th-16th July and there were just a few remnants of snow on the Faulhorn, nothing Grindelwald onwards. I didn't go far on the West side of the Lauterbrunnen valley and Im not sure if there will be snow on the section that runs SE of Grindelwald (by the Shreckhorn) as I haven't done that path either. Schynige Platte to Grosse Scheidegg is great, as is the Eigertrail. The Murren/Schilthorn side looks a bit wilder, I'd love to walk more over there sometime.

Think we're going to try the Tour du Mont Blanc instead for this summer though.

Initiate

Although ive visited the Grindelwald area a couple of times I havn,t done much walking as ive had the kids in tow so am really looking forward to July.

Done the T.M.B in 94 and its a fine route.You,ll have a great time.