Thread: Mountains in May?

I find myself with a spare few weeks from the Middle of May to beginning of June and thought i'g come on here and canvass for ideas! - I am looking basically for hiking routes, nothing too technical and was considering perhaps Austria or Slovenia. If anyone has any experience of these places i'd be delighted to hear them.

Alternatively, any other suggestions/ your favouritedestinations at this time of year will be gratefully received!

Thanks guys,

EW

A little technical but why not join us Cuillins Ridge!!the timing is right...

DIDDY

The Tyrol is lovely at any time of year. Pertisau / Achensee is a favourite of mine, in the Rofan / Karwendal ranges. The Karwendal is Europe's largest nature park about 730 sq. km. Not been there is May though - there will probably be quite a bit of snow still hanging around.

The Julian Alps in Slovenia are excellent mountains. I'd check whether late May is 'in season' for hiking them or whether there's still likely to be too much snow lingering. The same goes for the Picos de Europa. I'll dig out my guidebooks for both later and see what they reckon.....

Diddy - I have committed to walking the WHW at the start of the month so that might be a little too much Scotland for me, beautiful though it is!

Bill: The Tyrol was on my shortlist, researching that possibility at the moment

Matt: Thank you, any info. regarding the Julian Alps would be much appreciated.

Atlas's, although End of April better and stay far away from the Toubkal area of the range.

Far from the arabs and near to the proper berber area's.

My Cicerone book for the Julians says the main walking season is mid-June to late September "when most of the routes are snow-free and the weather is generally stable". The high mountain huts are generally open fron July.

It does say that the spring flowers are wonderful in May on the lower level routes.

There's nothing quite so specific in my older book for the Picos, but I suspect it's similar, anyone else know for sure?

Thank you Matt, thant's good to know. Will try to get my hands on the Cicerone guide. How are the maps for the Julians?. Looks like an Austria-Slovenia trip could be on the cards.

EW

The maps are fine. I'll check what I've got when I get home tonight, and see if I can remember which I bought in advance (The Map Shop, Upton on Severn) and any I found when I was out there. iirc the Freytag and Berndt ones are pretty good.

I checked my maps for the Julians last night. The one I bought before I went was the Freytag and Berndt 1:50k ‚??Julische Alpen‚?Ě (Ref: WK141). It's certainly good for planning and perfectly usable once you're there.

But in Kranjska Gora I got hold of a 1:30k ‚??tourist' map ‚??Kranjska Gora‚?Ě by Geodetski Institute Slovenije which, judging by the wear and tear is what I used on the ground. And I also bought (cheaply) over there two maps labelled Planinska Zveza Slovenije ‚?? a 1:50k ‚??Julijske Alpe, vzhodni del‚?Ě (Julian Alps, East, apparently!) and a 1:25k ‚??Triglav‚?Ě.

It looks like the 1:50k maps I mention are available from The Map Shop, who are very good ‚?? I always look online with them first but then order over the phone, they're very helpful.

Brilliant Matt, Cheers.