Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stuff

Is it just me? or are rucsacs gettin a bit pricey? 100 quid for a good bag, the berghaus Akamas ( the a-trek pro thingy ) 65+10 ltrs, an for 100 quid it aint waterproof? eh? am i missin sumthin or is it not really easy to make rucsacs waterproof, seein as they dont need to breath, btw im only pickin this bag out cus it was the first that came to my eyes in the cotswold book.

In the end rucsacs only have to do these things for us to luv them
    carry a wieght well
    be comfy with wieght in
    be tuff fabric an construction
    be waterproof
    Is it askin for a lot? im not so sure it is, im sure ill get tortured for this thread, but they all seem pricey to me atleast.

I've NEVER had a waterproof bag.

Water-RESISTANT yes, but PROOF no.

And I agree Steve, some of the bags are an outragious price. Especially those Osprey bags...

Yeah but those Osprey bags are lovely!

Craghoppers make a waterproof bag and possibly Macpac...

Yeah but the Craghoppers his really heavy though...

Swings and roundabouts.

It is really hard actually to make a rucksack waterproof, as the stitching needs to be really strong, as they recieve harsher punishment than waterproofs.

I've recently got myself an Osprey pack which fits me perfectly. I don't mind it not being waterproof (thus it saves a bit of weight), but if I need waterproofness, then the main section can have an ortileb drybag in there. However because of the fit it feel really really light on my back even though I know it's not! And I got mine in Rock Bottom for £60 and not £100!

Virtually all of my kit is bargains, or discounts. Therefore when I buy it, it's the best I can get. I adhere to Alex's principle of buy cheap, buy twice, so I buy expensive, and use well within their design limits.

Hmmm, osprey soundin good there, though we all know the best bag is, like the best boots, the one that fit's you best.
    Gettin back to waterproofing, im wonderin what they use on tents. Would it be impossible to say, give you a tube of sealer with the bag?. And i suppose technicaly speaking, from tuffness point of view, the bag with the least amount of stitching is the strongest, as it has less places to rip.
    I know it would be hard to make them waterproof from what you've said Drew, but so is partin for a bag, an then a dry bag. Its great if you can find a bag that fits u in a bargain store, but we shpuldnt need to should we?.......

Nowadays things tend to come back to weight. A waterproof bag is heavier than the eact same bag, but water-resistant. Therefore for the times when you won't need it to be waterproof, it is lighter. However if you do need waterproofness, then the Ortileb bags are about £20 for a 45L one or so. However OD do some too which are cheaper, but slightly lower quality (they won't stand up to playing water polo with them quite as well.

Therefore when the extra waterproofness is needed the extra weight can be carried, and not when it's unnecessary.

And if you're buying a rucksack, and are willing to spend £100, then £20 isn't really that much more for true waterproofness.

BTW on and off topic. John C. I don't suppose you know if the hydration pocket is waterproof on the Osprey pack. I have got one too, and it's great! However I have had the top of my platy come undone, so the pocket is waterproof then my stuff, and back, won't get wet!

I don't think it is waterproof although I have never experienced any leaks in with Platypus or my Camelback (I guess I'm lucky).

Steve O, would you be interested in buying an Berghaus Atrek Pro? It's in great condition, used only a few times. Selling because it doesn't fit me perfectly, I'm 189cm long, 93kg. (6'3, 210 lbs?)Something like £60 would be nice. My basecqmp is Ealing, London.

Hey Jarl, think i'll pass on that. I'm not far off you anyways at 6'2", and from what ive heard about rucsacks im gonna go with a local shop ("this is a local shop far local people, theres nothing for YOU here!") who would let me try it properly then take it back if i dont think its right (Hi-Peak, top shop).

Oh an while im here, anyone actually know of good and bad sacs? i'd ike to know the bad as well as the good so i know what not to buy c.

oh and i've looked at all the reviews, so no lazy linkers :P

What do you mean BAD sacks?

Surely one that doesn't fit you is a BAD sack?

ok then alex, badly designed sacs, sacs that seem to be made out o tissue paper, sacs with problems on there back systems, in short sacs i should keep my back and my money well away from, so nerr :P

The Craghoppers dynamic balance ones. They have this steel bar in the back which seems to be there for no good reason at all, and falls out and digs in your back.

Mrs F had one and we sent the bag back complaining about it, only to get a new one which did exactly the same.

Ask the good Dr Cook (Si Cardwell's pal) he found the same thing.

So nerr, ner ne-nerr nerrrr!

:-P

Hehe, nice one Alex. Been lookin round an i think its gonna be LA Frontier, it has everythin i'd want i think, still bit pricey, but we've bin thru this already.

I looked at the Ospreys, the Contour 75 is nice, an i looked at the Arc'teryx ( nice name ther chaps, does it mean " bloody expensive " in french? ). Ospreys r actually very nice. The thing is.....i'm allergic to spendin me money on things that are overpriced, an it has major pshycological effects on me (i know i spelt it wrong, but i think its better this way :P) so i end up cryin on the floor wi rashes all o'er me body..... i know its sad but ther u go

Stay out of Cotswolds then...

actually they were in Snow & Rock, so nerr....again

I have a lowe frontier, excellent and very adjustable.

hey U&A, ive looked at almost every sac at or around 70 ltrs, an from 60 quid to 270 smackers, pound for pound it seems to be better than anythin else ive seen, but as they say the proof is in the puddin...im sure alex will remind me wot i said about sacks, heh,.... anyway how tall r u up? is it comfy? have u had experience with other packs to compare it with?