Thread: camping in MacGillycuddys reeks

Widdler

We're off to the Reeks in April for a couple of days messing around in the hills. The last couple of times we've been there we've stayed at Fossa campsite in Killarney and driven around to the start of walks. We fancy staying a bit closer.

Has anyone stayed at the little campsite behind the general store/petrol station in Kissanes Cross? Its the one just before you turn off left to drive down to Cronins Yard. Can't seem to find a number for them anywhere, anyone got it?

Cheers...

Widdler
    Last summer I stayed at Kissanes hostel and there were campers staying in the small field right between kissanes and the stream, they have use of showers and drying facilities there, it's not much of a walk from there to cronins yard. Not sure of any other camping except there were a couple of tents set up by the lakes on the trail to Carrantouhil

Rich, there's camping at Lough Acoose, but I don't know any of the details of the site at Kissanes Cross. My best suggestion would be to ring Killarney Tourist Info, since Killorglin Tourist info doesn't seem to have much in the way of contact details!!

Or email Laune mountaineering club based in Killorglin or Killarney Mountaineering Club and someone there may have the contact details.

Widdler

Ah, cheers you two. I'm sure i'll get something from all that info. Thinking again we may just rock up somewhere more convenient on the Saturday night after landing in Cork, then sort the campsite nearer the Reeks in the daylight.

Thanks again!