Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anyone recommend a good rucksack?

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie White View Post

Thanks for all the input, will definitely try before I buy.

Mal - just out of interest, why not Regatta? I thought they were meant to be a fairly reliable brand?

Fossil Bluff - thanks for the offer, would love to take you up on it, but unfortunately am just looking at the moment, not in a position to buy just yet.

Pete - the expedition will be mainly day trips from base, have got a really comfy 20l daysack that I've had for years that will be coming with me. Will only be carrying the main pack between bases but that will mainly be from transport to transport, not major amounts of walking with it. The company that I'm going with (am School Leader for a team of 6th formers) are fairly strict about kit though, so it has to be a 65-ish litre trekking pack.

Ju
    A Regatta sack will be OK for that but if in future you want to use it in earnest you'd regret buying it I reckon. Reliabilty gives no indication of performance and comfort, you gets what you pays for and the internal back support and padding on Regatta rucksacks leave much to be desired. The fabrics aren't bad I suppose and if you can't afford anything else then they are OK.

I have a lowe alpine womens spesific with the colour coded sdustable back leanth,and I can carry and amazing amount of weight with out back pain, with a mans sack I get back pain if I carry any weight.

If you have curves then you are better with a womens spesific.

The bottom bit of the sack should fit flush into the small of your back, this is more upright generally with men but some women also have more verticl lumbar regions.

The other problem with mens sack is the chest strap in in the wrong place if you are even slightly well endowed.

Before you buy, just to add to what has been said, get lots of weight in it,4 ropes at least then spend at least half an hour wondering round the shop, save you an expensive mistake.

Mini Goon The lesser banishing ritual's Avatar
    I have just bought a vango Sherpa 70 +10 to replace my hardly used golite quest 73 L as it was my main up until now winter hiking rucksack .it began to fall apart even though it was kept in the wardrobe anyway I bought the vango Sherpa for including delivery 65 from sports warehouse I think it will be a great winter hiking rucksack when you need a large rucksack to accommodate that big sleeping bag and the thick clothes etc

One possibility not already mentioned here... how about a dry back ruck?

100% waterproof, so awesome for all the rain, streams, rivers that you may be in/around. No stress if you need to throw it in a fishing boat and ride for 10 km up a river.

On the other hand, the support systems for these aren't as comfortable as other packs, so YMMV. In any case, I thought I would mention, since already lots of other good suggestions. I know Back Sak is one of the companies making these...
    Ryan T.
    "Good things come to those who bait" GearLobo
    "My biggest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Dix View Post
    Hi all,

I'm off on expedition to Sri Lanka for 3 weeks in the summer, and I need to buy a decent rucksack. I need a 65 litre, and want one that will last, but don't want to spend too much (less than 100). I've been looking at the Vango Sherpa 60+10, the Regatta X-ert Tech, and the Aztec Montes 65+10.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks
    Ju
    For under 100, you won't go far wrong with Decathlons Quechua range for women:

https://tinyurl.com/yasg5zcu

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Dix View Post
    Hi all,

I'm off on expedition to Sri Lanka for 3 weeks in the summer, and I need to buy a decent rucksack. I need a 65 litre, and want one that will last, but don't want to spend too much (less than 100). I've been looking at the Vango Sherpa 60+10, the Regatta X-ert Tech, and the Aztec Montes 65+10.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks
    Ju
    Why such a big rucksack? If you buy the right ultralight camping kit, you can get away with using a smaller, lighter rucksack, and still travel in comfort.

Mini Goon
    She posted 10 years ago. Think she might have done the trip by now!

Widdler
    I prefer Voltaic Systems OffGrid 10 Watt Rapid Solar Backpack Charger so why not? Also you can check this https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-solar-backpacks/ or other similar comparisings and choose the one you like