Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend a good rucksack?

Widdler
    Hi all,

I'm off on expedition to Sri Lanka for 3 weeks in the summer, and I need to buy a decent rucksack. I need a 65 litre, and want one that will last, but don't want to spend too much (less than £100). I've been looking at the Vango Sherpa 60+10, the Regatta X-ert Tech, and the Aztec Montes 65+10.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks
    Ju

The usual: go to a store(s) with a selection of suspects that meet your budget and try them on with a load inside representative of what you'd need. Then get the most comfortable. Which will be best for you is in many respects personal, as different folks are different shapes and different designes will interact accordingly. Also, different folk are happier with loads in different places.

This approach also has the advantage of double-checking the size you need, by packing the actual stuff you'll take.

Pete.

‹bermensch The Tallest of Paul's's Avatar
    Make sure its one for ladies! There is a differance. also any good shop should have some sandbag type wieghts for you to put in it. It is a case of the most comfortable wins.

One good possibility for you from Berghaus here maybe, or the 65 plus 10 version of the same ladies sack design and make from the same stockist there.

http://www.simply-outdoors.co.uk/Pro...c-249dd17e2276

http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/productl...sacks_127.htmlLots of ladies sacks here from Karrimor too!

Don't assume that a women's pack will automatically be a better fit. It is all down to individual shape and build. Try mens' and womens' models.

Ultra King

You can get a Berghaus C7 series 60+10L for 100 notes. I'd give the Regatta a miss.C7 1 series only £75 here

A womens rucksack is normally a better fit.(for a women)Generally the main differences are the back length, narrower and closer shoulder straps and a more shaped hipbelt.

These differences can be very subtle but are very noticeable in terms of comfort levels for female users!The fitting of a ladies rucsac is slightly different to the men's range, it should sit slightly higher on the hips but not so high you cannot breathe. This does boil down to the womens shape and back lengthbut its agood starting point.

A womens rucksack is normally a better fit.(for a women)

mcn, all I'm saying is that the crucial word there is normally. Yes, they shape things differently to fit some notion of a typical female shape and that's different from the typical male shape they design for, but it's perfectly possible that the 'wrong' gender pack suits some individuals better.... so no harm in keeping that possibility in mind as you try different packs.

I tend to agree with Matt here, my current GF is 6' and the Women's specific designs she tried on were just nowhere near for her. MY Crux AK37 was perfect though

As others keep on saying; try some on. People often recommend what they bought....

Ju

I can do you a good deal on a Karrimor Jaguar 55-75 L rucksack. Brand new but without tags. I used it to transport some kit in the car once. Adjustable back and all that jazz - just google it and look it up

Normal cost between £120 - £160 (From online to shops)

Yours for say £70inc postage

Just email me if you are interested.

mat c im not saying your wrong, its just a better starting point .. She could well be7ft foot and and have arms like the terminator. . she could be 5'5" with a long back , she could also be 5'5" with a short back. blah blah blah.

Aye mcn, lets agree to agree then!

A grand plan! I think we've scared Julie off, shes probably buying one of those suitcases with wheels as i type this

MCN i sright it's a good place to start, MC is right that "womens fit" doesn't fit all women... My wife's attempts to buy the Perfect Rucksack ended up as compromise, but ultimately she found a "standard" fitting worked better on her than the women's models she could find.

What this reinforces is that trying on in person with a representative weight is a Really Good Idea!

One further thought is the nature of the expedition: if it's day trips from a base then a holdall plus a daysack is probably a better solution, with a big pack for everything only being better if you've got to carry everything for some distance.

Pete.

Widdler

Thanks for all the input, will definitely try before I buy.

Mal - just out of interest, why not Regatta? I thought they were meant to be a fairly reliable brand?

Fossil Bluff - thanks for the offer, would love to take you up on it, but unfortunately am just looking at the moment, not in a position to buy just yet.

Pete - the expedition will be mainly day trips from base, have got a really comfy 20l daysack that I've had for years that will be coming with me. Will only be carrying the main pack between bases but that will mainly be from transport to transport, not major amounts of walking with it. The company that I'm going with (am School Leader for a team of 6th formers) are fairly strict about kit though, so it has to be a 65-ish litre trekking pack.

Ju

I have had a lot of good budget priced quality outdoors and walking clothing from Regatta over the years indeed, but never have I seen what I would call a really decent quality large type of rucksack-for trekking/backpacking/expeditioning-made by them as yet! At least that is thus far-this after all has only been my major hobby interest for about twenty years or so after all-still I may just have been patently unlucky in that respect perhaps, I will admit. There could indeed be exceedingly good Regatta packs out there that I have just never been lucky enough to encounter! But I thought if there were I would have heard of one of them by now really!

Julie have a look at theGolite Gust and Trek on Outdoor warehouse very tough sacks but only weigh about 19ozs.I have used one on weekendswildcamping for a few yearsand two pyrenees trips of a week and twelve days and still good as new .Just make sure you get the right back size.Gust only £37.50.Regatta sack dropped to bits after a couple of outings.

Widdler

Thanks Trevor, and Owen. Up until now any major outdoor purchases have been for walking the dog, and I have a Regatta waterproof jacket that has served me well over the years -I just assumed that that level of reliability would extend to packs as well - I'm very glad I joined this forum!

Will definitely have a look at the Golite, thanks

Julie the Golite Pinnacle [Ladies small] is on offeron Blacks Site its theupdated version of the Gust with morepadding ,about £55 I think [See Bargain Alert last page]