Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to go in may!!!

Widdler
    I am supposed to be doing the Wolds Way during the last week in May. Reports in the papers suggest that Foot and Mouth could be with us for a few more months yet. If this information is correct then we will have to cancel the trip. They are in the second year of a two year public service course, and need to complete this final assignment in order to complete the course. Is there anywhere in britain that is actually open where we could take the students, as it would be a shame for them not to be able to complete this last assignment after all the planning that has gone into it. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Hmmm... some areas of the highlands are being opened up, but in general only the high ground (> 600m as a rule). You might find it tricky to find something comparable (in terms of safety and easy-ness) to the wolds way that's open.

Have you considered hopping on the ferry and doing something in northern france? I've no personal experience of the walking around there, but some bits of it look quite nice, so maybe you could salvage something that way ? It'd probably work out cheaper than going all the way to inverness, too.

HTH,

Chris

It's highly unlikely that any low level walking routes of a similar standard to the Wolds Way will be open by May. Even if lower ground in Scotland was opened up (which I doubt) it would only one case of F&M in the Highlands and all your extra planning would go down the pan. The way the French are acting you might have similar problems there, but nothing ventured.....
    Postponement seems like your best option and hope for an Indian summer.
    Sorry to all doom and gloom.

I am afraid unless things improve a lot you will not be able to go to Scotland I have just been in touch with a mate up in Inverness and he tells me its all twaddle about it being open none of the landowners & farmers up there will welcome anybody at the moment and even the national trust have got it all closed tightly up until further notice.

Hi Bryan, is your mate saying that the areas listed as open but subject to restrictions on the Mountaineering Council of Scotland site are actually not open at all or is he just saying that other areas aren't open?

As I understand it, the MC of S are simply saying that there are a few areas open to walkers, but nothing more general than that.

Jon

Hi Jon,My pal nick is saying that he is amazed at what he is seeing on the web as to date neither he nor any of his friends has been able to find any walking anywhere in Scotland. He is so frustrated because he has a month off starting this weekend and he cannot get out!! He went so far as to say that the Scottish mountain people perhaps haven't talked to the landowners? He has tried believe me id put money on it.

Thanks Bryan, I'll speak to the Mountaineering Council of Scotland people and see what they've got to say.

Sounds like it's time for some muck raking journalism, Jon. I'm really happy that the NT and EH at least are going to open up some stately homes. That will give me something to do when I run out of picturesque towns near London.

BTW Jon, what's up with the forum overview on the home page? There used to be links to the 5 most recently active threads but today there's no link at all. Have your techies broken something there?
    --Mjausson

Remember the Specials song 'Ghost Town'? I think there's just a lack of active threads, a lot of people have gone into hibernation - I suspect that the outdoors mags will be concerned about sales too. Then again, it could be broken. Those darn techies, you can't take 'em anywhere.

Hi Jon,I have been avidly watching this space as I was hoping you would find something new out about Scotland, This with particular reference to the highlands. everything seems to have gone quite only as I look at it there is nothing in scotland above the Glasgow/Edinburgh line. Lets hope it remains so ,but my point is that if and its a big one the powers that be have finally got there act together it may be possible to walk the Cape wrath trail in May. Which would be peachy. I am getting a bit desparate as my wife keeps finding cheap hollidays abroad and saying "Well if your not going for your long walk this as usual this May......."

For the best up todate info about Scotland try:
    http://www.guide.u-net.com/foot-and-mouth.htm Alan Kimber's site.
    http://www.mountaineering-scotland.o...am_update.html MCoS site.

Thanks Mike, the Alan Kimber site is a good one. I've not seen it before, will stick it up on the ongoing foot and mouth new story.

Cheers

Jon

Jon, I have a vested interest in knowing access arangements in Scotland, I've booked (some time ago) to go to Glencoe at Easter for a week. I think it's going to be crowded!

Ultra King Dave O aka Jungle Dave ;)'s Avatar
    My one comment is Dream on at the moment everywhere seems to be closed!!

That's the point, selective parts of the Highlands are being opened up and the government are going to be pushing local authorities in non-f and m areas in England and Wales to open up safe paths in the near future. I'm not saying that it's anything like normal, but there are opportunities to get out, away from farmland, in Scotland particularly.

Do you reckon there's any chance that perhaps some areas of Wales I.e. the BRecons and Skye etc in Scotland may be open by July time or am I being to optamistic?

I reckon things are looking better then they were. At least there's now some sort of recognition that it is possible to allow limited access in certain areas. Plus there's also the point that according to at least one expert, the chances of walkers spreading the visus are extremely low. You could go further and ask if the virus is being spread by the wind, what the hell difference do walkers and mountain bikers make? I'm not advocating some sort of rebellion by the way, just making the point that if windborn infection is happening, footpath bans seem irrelevant.

The other factor is that from what I've read, a vaccination-based policy seems more likely to stop this thing quickly than slaugher alone and that seems to be the way that the government is moving.

I know that doesn't answer your question but I don't think anyone is in a position to say.

The big problem with the highlands is that if the Deer get it then its all over. Just like it appears to be for the Lakes now since it has got onto the hills. the problem with allowing walkers and riders freedom to walk again is how do you stop people from infected areas going? This disease lives in the human nose for seven days! so if you have been within a few miles of it and the wind was right you are a carrier!!!

Hold on did I just read that right, where does that leave us Walkers etc?

Take a look at: http://www.maff.gov.uk/animalh/disea...risk/risk4.htm

it's the MAFF summary of the risks posed by walkers and the opening of footpaths. I think you'll find that the chances of you carrying the disease in your nostrils for seven days just because you've been within a few miles of a f and m area and then transmitting it to other animals are pretty small, that's small as in utterly microscopic. If you've been working with animals, that's a different matter, but just inhaling within a few miles of an infected area doesn't make you a 'carrier'.

The government is advising measures like disinfectant baths to minimise the already small risk as well.

Somewhere in the middle of all this, it's been conveniently re-swept under the carpet that this is primarily about economics. Animals do not die from foot and mouth, they recover in approximately three weeks. It has nothing to do with animal suffering, the problem is that they give less milk and meat after being infected and we can no longer export meat or livestock.

We're slaughtering hundreds of thousands of animals on economic grounds and we shouldn't forget that.