Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classifieds Section

Hi guys,

We're very much aware that the current Classifieds section is somewhat buried but also over complex and time consuming to use, so we're proposing a solution where we create a new forum section for classified ads.

Before I do that though, I'd like some input on what you'd prefer to see. Initially it may be that the classified do appear in the latest post listings, but I suspect they'd drop down quite fast and eventually we'd eliminate them from the latest posts. Does that bother anyone?

The idea would be to keep it simple, so if you're selling or want to post a wanted ad, we'd ask you to make sure it's in the classifieds and pre-fixed 'FS' or 'W', or you can spell it out if you want.

From there it's really up to you. There are two ways we can go: we can simply leave it up to common sense and some rough guidelines or we can have draconian rules about agreeing online rather than by e-mail so that there's less confusion. I'm really open to suggestion.

Both ways work, but what would people prefer and what guidelines would you like to see?

Underpinning it all is that we're part of a community so there's always an element of trust involved, but I'm quite happy for the guidelines to spell out reasonable precautions etc.

So, over to you, thoughts?

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    > The idea would be to keep it simple, so if you're selling or want to post a wanted ad, we'd ask you to make sure it's in the classifieds and pre-fixed 'FS' or 'W', or you can spell it out if you want

Surely, that can be done by your s/w; when you select the appropriate forum, it adds a FS/W radio button, and, if you don't select one, it displays FS/W:. If you select, it displays FS: or W:

UKC's For Sale/Wanted forum is now so busy that stuff falls off the first page in a couple of days. So busy that I rarely look at it any more (and I have too much kit, anyway...).

But it's still a better option than the classifieds section here, so anything is an improvement...

UKC's forum seems to work without too many problems; it's very rare that things need to be chased up on the other forums. In fact, one of the longest threads was the 'Steve Webb' thread having a go at one bloke who was a bit dodgy. Online approbrium seems to work as a reasonable deterrent. Of course, for lurkers, and non-regular posters, that won't work.

In my dealings on UKC, I've always been happy to exchange risk with regular posters; i.e. we both send at the same time. For those I don't know, I've asked for a cheque first. But when it comes down to it, both parties are taking a risk, so it relies on trust, as you say.

Caveat emptor, caveat venditor...

‹bermensch

The risks with buying and selling exist wether its through the current system or a forum based system.

My thoughts are to give common-sense a chance, wether or not buy/sell posts appear on the 'latest posts' section I don't think matters too much, as the post will soon be pushed off the bottom if there's a lack of interest.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    > The risks with buying and selling exist wether its through the current system or a forum based system.

Indeed.

FS

An old outdoors magic classified section. Never used much and still in fairly good condition although a bit outdated by todays standards.

Only selling due to getting a new better one. Any reasonable offers.

‹bermensch

I'llswap you theLIVE FOR THE OUTDOORSwebsite.

lol, Glyn, don't you realise you'll only bring "online approbrium" on yourself for making such a crap offer for the old classified section?

I'd certainly be more likely to pop into a Classified section of the forum rather than the current (well-hidden) section, and the insert photo facility should encourage posters to illustrate their wares a la fleabay. As for 'latest post' listings, I don't look at the forum in that format so it doesn't bother me.

re. guidelines - maybe we should just let it run without guidelines to begin with, and then include some if it seems necessary. No point in making work for yourself, Jon! Though I guess you might want some kind of disclaimer. I spect most people looking at Classifieds will have seen others on UKC etc. or at the very least on fleabay. No doubt if someone posts something a bit vague, some sharp-eyed member will soon put them right,

eg: For Sale: pair of Scarpa SLs. Excellent condition - only done 1.5 miles, 52pence + postage and packing.

And someone 'll post back, perhaps asking about the sizing.

‹bermensch

agree with all the above by Kate except for the first bit which I think was a perfectly reasonable offer.

actually, no, you're right, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by captain paranoia View Post
    Surely, that can be done by your s/w; when you select the appropriate forum, it adds a FS/W radio button, and, if you don't select one, it displays FS/W:. If you select, it displays FS: or W:
    I'm sure it could, but equally sure that it'd be a lot quicker if it simply used the existing format as far as possible. I'll definitely stick it on the development list.

I think it's one of those things where simple works best. It's easy enough for me to stick a very brief set of guidelines up top though, nowt complicated just a very basic 'how it works' and the rest is down to the inherent decency of OM members, or something like that

‹bermensch

"...and the rest is down to the inherent decency of OM members"

‹bermensch

How about having one forum for For Sale, and another for Wanted? They are, after all, opposites.Each forum would then be clearlyfocussed and entriesshould take longer to fall off the first page. (Your new forum layout also wastes abit more spaces than it needs to.) Ifa whole thread can be deleted when something is no longer available or wanted, then that will keepthings tidier, and perhaps alsostop threads degenerating into kit-discussions as theydo on LFTO. Not that I ever go there of course.

I posted this late on Friday, so it's slid down the rankings over the weekend. I can actually now lock threads once the item's been sold, so that might be an option.

I'm not sure whether it's necessary to have separate FS and Wanted sections fwiw.

Aye that sounds good, make it an ordinary forum topic and lock it once the item's sold.

I'd use it for sure. ebay just laughs in your face and takes too big a cut.

‹bermensch
    Why not just get going with one forum as quickly and as easily as you canand see how it goes?

That's pretty much what I'm planning to do. Should be up this week.

I hope somebody's selling slippers. The dog ate mine. Again.

Check wi' Jon if you're allowed to sell Dugs

Scott, I've got some Wallace and Gromit 'slipper socks'. Size 41. Interested? Or should I ask Jorja if she'd like to buy them?

Lol. ActuallyKev, if you've got 5 dugs already, you'd hardly notice another wee black one...

Given that she eats anything & everything in sight, I most definitely would notice her