Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you hunt in packs?

Dan, I simply don't have time to delete everything that's off topic, full stop. I could, but then there wouldn't be anything else on the site as I'd spend my life monitoring the forum.

Widdler
    Oh, hellfire, I can see it all starting again in the guise of Dan takes on the world! Interesting take on being open-minded - reopening what I can only assume was an old, finished argument/running sore with Guy.

Anyway, as one of the mysterious new posters, I would really appreciate it if these personal arguments were taken offline and if someone feels really got-at, why not just leave the forum rather than lobbing e-hand grenades in?

Please let's stick to debates on whatever the thread relates to rather than personal arguments - there is a world of difference and whilst the latter can occasionally offer some vicarious amusement to the bystander, they are ultimately a big turn-off for those not involved.

Finally, what the hell is trolling in this context (I've done a lot of big game fishing when I lived in the Pacific Islands and that was how we fished for Marlin and Tuna!)?

Deleting off topic posts would reduce the value of the forum because all the light-heartedness would disappear. Part of the value of forums (fora?) is the banter and entertainment value. Specific questions such as gear enquiries are answered quickly and concisely before the jokes and wit are posted. If you don't enjoy the way a thread develops, stop reading it.

This is the approach I use, and I have often returned to a thread to find a new posting after several days, and then read all the intervening banter just for its entertainment value.

The OM forum is one I always return to, I have used others (differing subjects) and newsgroups, buy ususlly don't return. I reckon OM has the balance about right.

And BTW, I class myself as a semi-lurker dependant on workload.

Just my opinion FWIW,
    Pete

Goon
    I can't belive everyones taking this so seriously. Who ever had a meeting (in work, in the pub wotever) of more than say 10 people where the agenda / discussion stayed on topic and everyone agreed? Not me, but that is the nature of human interaction.
    Come on, the forum does what forums do, we all enjoy coming here don't we? if not then there are other places to discuss these things, like real life even.

I've started loads of replies to this thread and stopped myself to avoid inflaming the franckly pointless debate. I then resolved to ignor it all together! Looks like I failed - I s'pose that is the nature of human interaction

Right everyone tell me I'm up my a**e then ....

Just got into work and read the replies from over night! I come to this forum and site to get and give info but also to chat and discuss things with other like minded people, and if it goes off thread and it doesnt interest me then I read something else. At least there is little in the way of serious attacks (although this has been on the increase of late!) compared to a lot of sites (UK climbing is really bad). Come on lighten up guys this is meant to be a bit of fun
    And I think that it is threads like this that are more likely to stop newbies from posting rather than someone going off thread.
    Dave (prob 1 of the usual suspects)

Adam your up your a**e!

OOOOH, personal abuse and off topic too (arguably) I'll have to delete you all...

Goon
    ;-)

Mini Goon
    I log onto this site nearly everyday. I dont always contribute, then again I dont always feel I have to, so some of you would say I'm a newbie (which is nice...)When I
    have contributed the replies have been top. I have read threads that look like some folks are having a bun fight (thats their choice) but I've also read some and cried laughing, but then I'm a simple sole and easily amused (thank God)!
    I check out the threads and if it interest me OK, if not move on. I guess what I'm trying to say is...for my part I think the site is OK by me and is just another forum for like minded folk to interact!

Mini Goon
    Fifteen different contributors to this thread and all staying on the thread topic, all with differing viewpoints and thoughts.

Is that not how a forum should operate.

In reply to a previous thread, I do not feel that we are all taking this too seriously. What we are doing is stimulating lively, fairly light-hearted and topically debate around my personal observations. On posting the thread I did not think for one moment that I was being too serious.

I did not expect any contributor wishing to join in to agree/disagree with my observations but I did expect contributors to put forward their thoughts to counteract or support 'Hunting in packs?' and any additional issues related to the theme.

Mini Goon
    For that matter, I think it has be fairly successful and rewarding.

Mini Goon
    Sorry 'been' not 'be'.

I'm not a usual suspect your honour, I have an alibi.

Dan, I think you're being a bit sensitive, Guy's reply in your 15 peaks thread, was in response to actually doing the 15 peaks ,as in "I would rather eat my own foot, than do the 15 3000s". A sentiment I somewhat share, having attempted them before.

I think quite often a lot of the threads tend to go off topic when either no one has any information or views and/or when a threads subject is either random (i.e in the soapbox section) or in some cases been done to death and a quick search of the site would soon give out the info asked for.

Mike, I completely agree with you regarding Guys post.

And to paraphrase Jon Doran (on a much older thread)...

...Dan, if you're open minded, I'm a turnip.

Reading all the posts since last night, it doesn't seem that many people feel there is a major problem (for the most part).

Perhaps we should make a bit of an effort to keep the number of OT posts on non soapbox to a minimum (note I havent said what the minimum should be!), as that has been commented on more than once.

Si(C)

Sorry for the delay I've only just read this thread again after a while.

Dan, you have misunderstood me, I wasn't having a pop at you at all, we had a discussion on 3 peaks and you aired your views and I mine. We disagree , big deal.

My comment about rather eating my own foot than doing the 15 peaks was exaclty that. I would not want to do it, I was not having a pop at you or bringing up an old debate.

I was merely adding to a thread. On topic.
    And in retrospect I was wrong, I would actualy rather eat both my feet than do it

hi,

If you want to get more people posting I think some people need to loose the school yard mentality of talking about posters, who are new, with others.

Look at this thread, spot any one who talks ABOUT someone (or their post/knowledge/opinion) by addressing someone else who is known to him or her ie Joe Bloggs what do you think about Jane Does opinion. Hence I understand the hunt in packs comment.

Some of the "regulars" are very welcoming; see if you can spot anyone in this thread who talks TO someone and involves them in the discussion, not isolates them from it.

That is certain people's style. One is not so nice and one is likable. You don't need to agree with someone, but at least talk to him or her.

The style tends to be consistent, check almost any thread posted by someone new you'll see them same people use the same style.

This is all a bit heavy, but there you go, such is the joy of the internet that it is easy to misunderstand someone.

oh yep I know I am talking ABOUT people and not too them, I'll get my coat :-)

cheers UAA

UAA
    although I dont agree with all your comments I can understand where you are coming from.
    Yes there are a lot of I agree with..... posts and if this is hunting in packs as suggested then most of the users here are guilty of it at sometime. I know a fair number of the posters personally but it doesnt mean I agree with every comment they make. If I agree I will back them up if I feel it is necessary, just as I would for someone I don't know.
    After all we are all decendants of hunter gatherers.

Hi Dave,

I didn't really mean about disagreeing with someone, that's half the fun of forums, and several people disagreeing is even more lively. Be pretty boring if we all agreed, and we are all old enough to stand up for our views.

I more meant disucssing someone in the third person as if they had left the "room" and inviting others to comment. I find it kind of odd. It closes off the conversation from that person, and re-enforces the "pack" and outsider feeling. When it happens, I and maybe others basically think "ok sod ya then".

cheers UUA
    ps Hnuter gatherers, don't you let my mother hear you say that

Sorry UAA I don't particuarly agree with you, mainly because I'm not sure exactly what you are on about. How about some examples? You can use any of my posts if you like.