Thread: Peak walks near Sheffield

Widdler

Most Sundays I have to take my son to Sheffield and find myself with 3-4 hours to kill. I usually spend it in the Peaks, I've got the white and dark o/s maps and a couple of guides, with which I have found some wonderful places namely Curbar edge, Strange,Lead hill overlooking Ladybower, Redmires and Wyming Brook. Can anyone recommend any others. The nearer they are to Sheffield the more time I will have to walk, also are there any hidden gens that I won't find in the popular guides?

Try Bamford Edge below Stanedge.

...or what about the short steep climb up Parkin Clough to reach Win Hill's rocky summit

Have you done the compact little circuit taking in Burbage Edge, Carl Wark and Higger Tor?

Widdler

Thanks Jack I've walked Bamford, but not Win Hill so willgive it a go inthe near future.

Matt, not done the circuit mentioned but have reached Higger Tor from Strange Edge, will check it out thanks.

Mini Goon

...or what about the short steep climb up Parkin Clough to reach Win Hill's rocky summit

My route of choice up Win Hill is the rather nice grassy path up the south-eastcorner from Thornhill. Particularly in late summer when you get the purple heather and the yellow gorse on either side of you.

Also worth checking out in combination with Higger Tor are Millstone Edge, Over Owler Tor, Burbage edge, Padley Gorge etc. Pretty much everything around the Howden / Derwent / Ladybower reservirs is nice, plus there's a cool and surprisingly regular bus that goes right up the side of them so you can do a point to point easily.

Widdler

Depending on the level of difficulty you want:-[*]Rivelin Valley is a nice walk, and you don't even leave Sheffield.[*]Park at Strines and walk up onto Derwent Edge[*]Already been mentioned, but Win Hill is good[*]Park at Low Bradfield and walk round Damflask Reservior[*]Do a section of the Sheffield Round Walk (Endcliffe Park out to Ringinglow is a good one)[*]Park at Bridge End Car Park (along the Derwent Valley Road) and walk up to Alport Castles[*]Go to Castleton and walk up Mam Tor[*]Padley/Burbage/Surprise View[/list]

Wow...the list is endless

Totley Moor is another great walk with great views over Sheffield

Rivelin Valley is a nice leg stretch and they do excellent cake at the tea rooms.

Did a loop from Wortley on New Year's Day. East along the TPT, right to cross the A616 to Bromley. Down into Howbrook and follow the Barnsley Boundry Walk to the A629. Up to Wharncliffe Resr, right to Finkle Streeton a BW and back up to Wortley. Easily extended into Wharncliffe Woods if you wanted.

In a similar vein as ChrisB - Through Grenoside Woods, along Wharncliffe Edge, or across the valley at Bolsterstone and along the top overlooking Ewden valley.

In the Fulwood area, around Whiteley Woods.

And of course all the places in Derbyshire, many already mentioned.