Thread: My present from Santa

Widdler

Hi, for my xmas I recieved an eTrex Venture HC, after an initial play about and a mans glance at the instructions! I have realised it is not much use without additional mapping. It looks like I need TOPO Great Britain but this seems a bit pricey, Are there any copies about or do you need an original? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers Paul

There could well be if you look hard enough ...

Widdler
    im looking, any tips

cough #utorrent# cough

Widdler
    cough, splutter cheers got Ares cough didnt even think of that choke! Cheers bud

whilst i couldn't condone such action i guess it's the best way to have the software "on approval" as it were, purely on a "try before you buy" naturally. possibly to discover that you've saved yourself 100 in more ways than one.

i have heard, although i cannot vouch for it, that you need to put the "trial" mapping into the folder that you subsequently install the garmin mapquest (or whatever its called) into otherwise it's difficult to get the garmin software to recognise it. but then that's just what i've heard and may be blx.

i've also heard tell that that particular source is good for audio stuff too, to while away those long winter evenings engaging in some literature.

Ooh arr me hearties, is it talk like a pirate day again already?

Have a look at this Paul.http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.htm

Get UK contour maps free to work on a Garmin.

In my opinion the Topo maps are not much better than this. Some names on the Topo maps but no footpaths shown

OK for "free" but not worth paying for

Widdler
    Thanks, Ill check that out too.

Initiate

The SMC maps work satisfactorily in the Garmin Mapsource and offer contouring on the GPS unit. They are very basic and not much worse than the Garmin TOPO. The TOPO is of little use really although some retaillers will tell you otherwise. I reckon the best route (no pun intended) is to purchase a 3rd party mapping such as Tracklogs, Memory Map or Anquet which includes proper OS mapping for use on the PC and to use the 3rd party software to create routes or tracks and/or waypoints etc which are then exported to the GPS. Download trial software from each 3rd party to try before you buy. You cannot get proper OS mapping to work on an Etrex. The TOPO is stripped out contouring. I am fairtly sure Garmin do an evaluation thing on their website so you can see what it looks like.

As to the original question, the legit copies of Garmin TOPO can be unlocked for use with only two GPS units so it is possible that an iffy copy will not work with your unit. If your copy of TOPO has been used with two GPS units and you buy a third GPS you would still need a new copy of TOPO even if you own the original copy of the TOPO.

Widdler

thanks for all the help and advice, I will look into each resource and try and make an informed decision. From what I have been told so far it seems that the TOPO for around the 100 mark is far from worth it! Bring back paper maps!!!

Regards Paul

Initiate

Paul,

There will be lots of folk who will tell you that the GPS (even with TOPO) is no substitute for a proper map and that the GPS should be regarded as no more than an aid to navigation. I certainly take that view. The TOPO cannot, in all seriousness, be said to be any substitute for a proper map. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. It may be that a PDA with a proper OS (or Harvey) loaded onto it with a GPS "dongle" could replace a paper version but I have no experience of such kit. Certainly, an Etrex (of any variant) isn't a map substitute.

Not tried these contour maps yet but may have a play if I can get the right SD card and have some minutes this afternoon. I would guess though that the most practical use of having the contour data on the GPS screen will be that it makes it quicker to work out where youare on your mainmap by eye without having to do the whole grid reference thing. You could probably also use it instead of looking at the map if you know you are in "bimble" territory.

I too have recently been wondering if the TOPO stuff is worth the ~150 they are charging for it.

Well shiver me timbers, ye be right there Kate, It is talk like a pirate day again. aarrr the only maps ye scurvy dogs would catch me using would be treasure maps and the only GPS I use is a bottle of rum! Aye, them dogs at the OS are worse than the East India company. Argh.

the topo maps are, well, topo maps with bugger all detail on them. i played with it on box hill (very familiar territory to me) and it wasn't a lot of help. handy as a cross reference with a map but useless using it as a map.

Initiate

I also find that the TOPO causes a much reduced battery life cos the screen takes longer to refresh and presumably requires additional processing power. Would I buy the TOPO again? No, I am afraid I wouldn't.

A friend of mine got a new GPS from Santa last month and a MemoryMap for the National Parks. The MM was only 30, albeit it is 1:50k. I reckon that is much better value and far more use than the TOPO mapping.