Thread: Walking Abroad

Widdler
    I'm off to Peru to walk the Inca Trail in May and desperately need to get some practise walking in. I am thinking of going to the Alps or the Pyranees for a long weekend as anywhere in this country is out of the question because of foot & mouth. Can anyone suggest any good treks that would be accessible in April?

depends on your budget etc.
    It's easy enough to fly to Geneva and then drive, rail or whatever to Chamonix where theres miles of low and medium level paths, I go every summer, I've never been in April but I guess theres still a lot of snow on the higher trails.
    How about the Picos de Europa in northern spain. Perhaps a little more difficult to get to but superb scenery, big hills, miles and miles of trails, unspoilt villages and friendly natives, oh I forgot to mention the INCREDIBLY cheap wine.
    If you're only wanting a long weekend you'll not get very far south so I would advise you to choose wisely as a short trip in April to an area with geography that even approaches the Inca trail stands the chance of being rained off, snowed off or blown off.
    best wishes
    neil