Thread: "Some access restrictions have been relaxed in Scotland..&#4

Looks like my Easter weekend might just be saved.

Can anyone recommend a 4 day route, suitable for back-packing in one of the 'relaxed' areas?

Widdler
    which areas have been 'relaxed'?

If you take a look at the article- should now be a link above - there's a link through to the Mountaineering Council of Scotland site, which details some of the areas which are either 'relaxed' or might become so. Hang on, <A HREF="http://www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk/news/fam_update.html" TARGET=blank>click
    here</A> for the relevant section of their site.

Based on what's currently listed as 'open', a four-day trip may be optimistic, but it's not entirely clear, for example, which parts of the Cairngorms are accessible. The Scottish Avalanche Information Service is still carrying reports for both north and south of the Gorms, but nowhere else. Of course things can change between now and Easter.

Here's one based out of aviemore. I've done it, more or less, in 2 trips of 2 days each, but I'm sure you could merge it for a 4 day trip. Day 1 is a long way, but you can cut it short. Each stopover is at a bothy, but if you prefer to camp you can easily find good secluded wild campsites nearby. It's all pretty high level, although you can avoid the tops if the weather is foul.
    Excuse my spelling...here goes:

Day 1: Ski car park->chalamain gap->larigh ghru->breareach->cairn toul->sgur an lochan uaine->devils point->corrour bothy.

Day 2: Courrour->cairn a'mahim->macdui->meadhoin->hutchison hut (can get v. crowded - take a bivi bag!)

Day 3: Hutchinson->Ben a chaorain->Ben 'a bhuird->Faindouran lodge

Day 4: Faindouran->Bynack mor (if you're feeling fit, else fords of a'an) strath nethy->ski car park->pub.

I'm just hoping that by easter something will be open in the west, as I'm supposed to be spending a week in Glen Shiel.
    The Loch Monar / Mullardoch rounds looks favourite at the moment.

Enjoy !

Chris

Widdler
    I was up at one of the areas listed as open to walkers at the weekend - the Invercauld estate near Braemar. However, the notice there said to stay on paths which meant not going up any mountains, so there wasn't exactly a lot of walking options.
    The Mountain Bothies Assoc. websites says that all bothies are not to be used at the moment (although I don't know if this means they will be locked).

The NTS should be opening the Mar Lodge Estate on Friday subject to the risk assessment program. Thus the southern Cairngorms should open up. Invercauld and Balmoral estates are open, but common sense has to prevail. i.e. keeping away from deer and sticking to established routes. Thus the mountains are accessible, albeit on the main paths.
    Don't knock it as it is better than nothing.....

Situation is still very confused - Aviemore Tourist information have just told me that there is nothing in their area open except the 'Northern Corries'.

If anybody has some definitive info on routes that are actually open I am still desperate for some walking over the Easter weekend.

If the situation gets any worse I will be forced to spend some time with my family. Help.

Spent last weekend in Braemar and walked/climbed in Southern Cairngorms entering from Linn of Dee and Keiloch. The Mar Lodge and Invercauld estates are definately open and for a change rather quiet! Best to enjoy before anyone changes their mind.

Try the following link for a good update on what's open in Scotland.
    http://www.walkingwild.com/walks.htm

I found it accurate when I was up there at Easter.