Thread: Harvey Maps

Has anyone any experience of Harvey Superwalker 1:25000 maps, and if so, how have you found them?

Julian

There's mixed opinions on em...I've talked to loads of people about them for a while and some love em, some hate em.

Me, well my experience goes back to the Isle of Arran where we were planning routes using both OS and Harveys. We made a choice not to go over a particlar ridge co it looked like a nightmare on the OS but looked OK on the Harveys. It just didn't show the crag line and boulder field.

Definitely more subjective in their representation of features than the OS. I like the waterproof paper stuff they used to use (and maybe still do?) but the first round of superwalkers were not really up to snuff. Having said that I'm staring longingly at my Kinder Scout mousemat which is taken from the Dark Peak Superwalker

Harvey maps are a lot less cluttered than OS as they are not obliged to show all the info such as parish boundaries and stuff like that. They are also very easy on the eye and if you have trouble with colour blindness you may get on better with them. To convert from OS to Harvey takes some doing, the contour interval for instance is 15m on a Superwalker and 10m on an OS map so they?re slightly less easy to ?read? in my opinion. One last thing, you are presented with a baffling (at first) array of footpaths types, visible/not visible, Public right of way/not public right of way, etc.

I use them and like them though you just have to get used to them.

I agree with John Harvey's maps are less clutterd than the OS couterpart,but for mountain travel,say in the lakes, wales or scotland they do give a very good relief of the mountain scape.I use both there's advantages to both map makes, but remember the contours are maked out in different scales.

I love the Superwalker maps, but if you're mainly doing low level stuff they're not much cop, as they don't show fence/hedge/wall lines.

I find that for the Cairngorms, there are pro's and cons for using the Harvey maps over the OS 1:25. Most of these are mentioned above. (I like the lack of clutter on the map but not the 15m contours).
    One of the other benifits is the area covered by the maps. It is not some pre-defined 50km square area with an origin set in London but is set by the mountains on the ground using natural boundaries.

It's Alex's comment about their accuracy re. cliffs and hard features that worries me. And with 15m countours is it harder to find small ring contours and other small terrain features (training up for my ML assessment at the moment, hence looking for small, obscure and hard to find ring contours is a bit of a preoccupation)?

There will be ring contours on the harvey map just in different places, the 15m contour intervalcould make them even smaller. I was assessed last year and they provided the maps and we only used OS ones.(we didn't know which part of the Lake District we were being assessed in til arrival)

Off topic: how did you find the assessment John?

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but... Bloody hard. It was the most sustained pressure I have ever been put under. Imagine the feeling hat you have as a 17 year old doing your drivibg test and make it last for an entire week. All my course had no idea if they'd passed, deferred or failed until we were called into the office at the end.

Oh great. Can hardly contain my excitement. Who did you do the assessment with? I was thinking of going back to PYB for the assessment, but if not would certainly like to go to the Lakes.

Mini Goon
    Back on the Harvey's, the paper is still 'waterproof' but nevertheless needs some care in wet weather. I've got some for the Brecons and one for the Lakes, and the Brecons have been used for a couple of wet weekends and the paper has started to degrade (though nowhere near as quickly as OS). I didn't use a map case as a test, a test not to be repeated. I do find them easier when in very steep ground though as they can make it simpler to make out the contours, and the colour coding can be useful.
    Incidentally, I used the Nikwax map proofing on my OS and it made no difference whatsoever. I did get it free from them when I asked where stocked it though, so 10 out of 10 for customer service.

Not convinced by the Harvey's paper - if it were a jacket I'd say it was shower proof or moderately water resistant. I semi-killed one in a few hours in the Peak last year.

Mini Goon
    I only used them as practice for mountain marathons as they tend to use Harvey type maps rather than OS. Other than that I don't think there's a great deal of point. The durability gains aren't that great, and the fact that they only cover the mountain area is actually a pain in the neck when you're trying to work out how to approach the mountain area in the first place.

I was on the same assessment week as John it was up in the lakes at the Air training Corps windermere centre. Have to agree with John it was a very hard week and the pressure was certainly on par with Army basic training (if not worse) but was worth it in the long run. For some strange reason though the assessment was in Feb with some rather interesting weather including a micro night nav in a blizzard (Nice!)
    Not trying to put you off just make sure your nav and skills are up to scratch before you go though other wise you could be in for a shock as several members of this week found out.

Well I just received a map of Brecon East this morning, and reading it in the bath I can honestly say it doesn't seem ver waterproof. Got some water on it which appeared to soak in rather than wash off. Into the map case it goes.

No they're not particularly waterproof, my Glencoe map is now a piece of paper mashie. However for putting into a map case they do fold down easier than the OS maps.

However, when used in a map case they suffer less than plain OS maps. I find that OS maps get slightly damp and the creases start to fray, Harveys generally stay legible.

I still prefer a laminated OS map though (Lam-Fold or Aquafoil).