Thread: Vango Tempest 300

Goon

anyone tried 3 people in a Vango tempest 300? I've heard these tents are pretty good.Normally I prefer my own space but for weight saving reasons I'm thinking of investing inone of these which can bepicked upon line for £99. The weight is a claimed 3.6kg which is less than half of the total weight ifwewere to each take our own tent.I Was also thinkingof rigging upa lightweight tarp with walking poles for us tocook and eat under.Not sure ifthe weight saving makes up for having to share with buddies. What do other groups do on high moor or in the hills ect in winter ?

ive got a tempest 200, it fits me and the gf in easily and im a big bloke, the only downside is the small porch which can be a bit of a pain in bad weather if you have a big rucksack with you.

its stood up to a lot of rain and wind this year and did get a little bit flappy when it wasnt pegged out quite right on uneven ground but in my opinion its still a great little tent especially for £65 quid.

ive been thinking about the tarp idea which i might well try one day as it would come in handy in bad weather.

‹bermensch
    Ill second what Moggy says except that its the gf thats big, Im just a wee bloke .

Sam, on Scafell pike last weekend it was blowing a right hoolie, Diddy and I reckon gusts msut of hit 50 or so. And there was a Tempest (I think anyway tunnel tent yeah?) pitched on some boggy sloping ground near the path, and its guy lines had pulled the pegs out the ground and it was taking a real beating in the wind! The pole was near folding in half as the wind slammed it side on, we filmed it for a bit as it was pretty impressive, and then we went over and guyed it down properly as the idiots had the pegs in at 90 or even pointing toward the tent! It was pretty sturdy once guyed properly and the beating it took folding in half (i.e the wrong type of half for a tunnel tent, sideways) and surviving without its guy out points, I would certainly consider a tempest if I were after a tunnel tent. Really impressed by how hardy it is.

‹bermensch

Yeah seriously though, my own tempest 200 has taken some really bad weather and shrugged it off. It does flex a lot due to it being a tunnel but the TBS system really helps stiffen things up. For the money you can pick one up for and the performance you get with the tempest I deffinitely would replace it for another if anything nasty happened toit.

Mini Goon
    I have used my tempest 300 with a tarp over the front and it is great ,I normally only use a tarp but when the kids come with me they prefer to be inside the tent for sleeping.I've had this tent out in 75 mph winds and still had a good night sleep.The tarp was later found 200 yards away still in one piece.

hi the 200 ticks all the boxes just picked up a 300 for a trip later this year but got no poles with it could some one give me the pole sizes so i can get a set made up

Widdler

Can the front porch door be zipped up fully can only seem to find pictures of one side zipped up

Ccampbell: It has two zips so yes the front porch door zips up fully (I'd be concerned at Vango's tent design if it didn't!!) and you can unzip from the top 'hinge' side of the door so just the top of the door is open for venting, then it's partially sheltered by the storm flap. Hopefully the pics below help:

Door Closed

Door Venting

Door Open