Thread: Christmas in the Auvergne

Hi,

We are off to The Auvergne over Christmas,and having never been I am looking for a bit of advice!

A quick look on the internet suggests that it could be pretty chilly by the end of December, so...[*]Worthborrowing some snow chains for the car?[*]Worth taking ice axes and crampons?[*]Any recommendedwinter walks?[*]Is there likely to be enough snow to have a bash at learning to x-country ski?[*]I would like tocycle to the top of Puy-de-dome, likely to be an option?[*]Anything else good that I should know about?[/list]

Thanks very much.

A friend of mine has recently acquired for himself and his family a rather nice chateau in France in a lovely old medieval city area-amazing that it is so nicely preserved there as the area was heavily bombed, and hit by a huge amount of Allied forces heavy artillery fire, as a forerunner to a major land battle-trench systems assaults-whichwas fought just nearby in the valley there in WW1! Anyway, I digress, and I forget temporarily the name of said place just for now, but I hope to get out there for a bit this year and help with the fixing up of the place a bit too! But I hear at present it needs a heck of a lot done to the place to make it guest friendly! As my friend wishes to eventually turn it into a place where walkers can stay whilst hitting all of the surrounding trails in the area, as there are apparently quite a lot of them around abouts there in central France's lovely countryside!

I hope to help my friend in the writing of a little guide to the selling of the place to tourists wanting to stay to walk in the surrounding areas as well maybe-and so earn myself a bit of a free holiday into the bargain perhaps, working for my keep for a week or so maybe in the summer or autumn-if things go to plan that is! As there is still a lot of work to do to the place as it stands, to get it all up and ready at all for any business to be done there, and my friend is only 6 months into his three year plan before he gives up his work here and can retire over there, to run his walking business for good! Six bedrooms the place has! I will keep you all updated on how this situation develops too, just in case it interests anyone else in exploring some of the scenic country areas around there maybe too!

I have found again my favourite little French walking website as well the other day by most happy coincidence! I thought that I would similarly share that with you all on the OM Forum as well as news of my friends excellent buy in the French countryside!

http://www.franceonfoot.com/up-equipment.htm I am so glad that I both located again and too remembered, this time around, to bookmark this site in particular, as I think it is indeed just plain ace!