Thread: keeping your feet dry whilst hiking

Mini Goon The lesser banishing ritual's Avatar

keeping your feet dry whilst hiking

ok if you are not wearing waterproofs ,how can you stop from getting wet feet and boots whilst backpacking and wearing lightweight hiking trousers and maybe gaiters.if you have any suggestions that would be great many thanks !

Initiate
    i wear non waterproof trail shoes----i get wet feet----in very cold conditions----snow/slush---i wear seaskin socks

‹bermensch
    Same as lentenrose....Trail shoes..water goes in, water comes out. You get used to it. Ditch the boots. Ditch Goretex.

In case you can wear a shopping bag. sometimes it works.

I wear Goretex boots Winter or Summer, and if its boggy I wear gaiters to help them further. Maybe I'm lucky in that I don't have very wet feet afterwards, sometimes if its hot then they are damp from the sweat at the end of the day, but not very wet, and I just allow that pair to dry as I wear another pair the next day.

I don't see the difference between wearing waterproof boots v waterproof socks, other than having damp boots at the end of the day (if its wet)

Mini Goon
    How are they getting wet in the first place? Rain or wet grass/streams?

If it's rain then why aren't you wearing waterproof trousers?

I don't buy into the trail-shoes thing really. I've worn non-waterproof shoes and even sandals for a year or so. It's fine in dry weather but in classic UK wet weather, they never dry out, not even overnight in a tent, despite people insisting they do. You have damp socks all day and whilst you "get used to it" it's not all that nice and I find wet socks promote blisters. However it depends what walking you're doing. There is a case for them in certain situations, but just not standard UK hillwalking outside of summer IMO.
    Last edited by Noz; 04-09-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Goon
    3 MM NEOPRENE DIVERS SOX FOR A VBL (Vapor Barrier Liner)

I have use 3 mm closed cell divers sox over thin poly liner socks for decades. The brand of divers sox I found best are US Divers (Aqua Lung) because they are factory seam sealed and made with Left and Right foot shape for better fit.

These sox replace wool socks and they do last many years. When backpacking ("wild camping"??) I take a pair of liner socks for each day. At the end of each day before bed I put the skanky wet socks in a Ziplock bag (sealed tightly ; o) turn the divers sox inside-out to dry and later put them in the foot of my sleeping bag to be warm for the morning. Then I don new liner socks and heavy wool "sleeping socks".

You can buy 5 mm divers sox for colder weather if your boots will accommodate them. I have used 3 mm sox in snow with GTX hiking boots and knee high GTX gaiters and been fine down to 15 F. The gaiters add about 15 F. warmth as well.

Eric B.
    Last edited by Eric Blumensaadt; 08-09-2018 at 06:27 AM.

I often wear gaiters and waterproof socks with very thin liner socks. I wear fabric boots that are very comfy but not really waterproof despite being looked after. The only drawback is the boots get heavier as they get wetter. My legs don't like trail shoes on longer and tougher walks.