Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Into the Wild

Into the Wild opens in the UK November 9th, very positive comments on IMDB - looks good I shall be going to see it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/usercomments

I watched the trailer - but I didnt see the climbing and camping bit? Is it only a short scene?

I went to the officail site, but gave up on the 'experience'

http://www.intothewild.com/

they have lots of additional 'content' - videos, photos but no battles as yet.

At last, I will be using the Odeon vouchers I had off my daughter last Xmas !

I've read the book, so will probably see the film, like thesoundtrack anyway.

Regarding the story,IMHOChris McCandless is certainly no hero, and went into the wilderness in Alaska pretty much without proper preparation.

Mr thicky!!!!

I clicked the link and watched a trailer about bullets going round corners and assumed that was what you were talking about

No wonder there werent any outdoor scenes..........

So I have watcedh the trailer for this film now - looks good, but prefered the bullety one.

Having read the book I am looking forward to this film immensely. I'm not too sure about Sean Penn, as i never rated any of his work. This film snook up on me as I seem to have missed out on rumours and news of its production, but having read some of the reviews I have a feeling of some misgivings. If it turns out to be a kind of retrospective tale told in flashbacks (likeAirport or any number of the 70's disaster film genre) as he struggles in the wilderness and explores his motivation for being there as some kind of commentary on middle class american life then i will be hugely disappointed.

Mystic River and 21 Grams alone ensure Sean Penns acting kudos.

Mini Goon
    My wife has already seen the film (in Canada) - she enjoyed it.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    My favourite ever book so I can't wait to go and see the film!

from what i read online, the film is pretty good, they're saying its Sean Penn's direction is top notch and the acting by Emile Hirsich is Oscar worthy.

Emile Hirsich as the main character gives a brilliant performance in this film ...came out of the cinema in tears not least 'cos I've just had a family bereavement .. But this film is principally about a young man trying to find himself (know that's a cliche!..) and grow up ?..at least thats the strong impression.

How he survives and fends for himself in the wild is just amazing though...must have been a tough young man!...similar to the ones on here?!...

off to read the book now

Ah!!!!!!!!!!!! can't see it in south wales yet.

Just checked amazon and they have the book for £4. Its in the basket.

checked to see if it was in my local odeon multiplex... no, so on their search for the nearest it revealed that manchester (at 53 miles) was the closest. I emailed them toask why... they said they could only get a limited number of reals, so it would be only available at certain places!

Übermensch

philip newing - i saw it last night and you are just about right, alas. wasn't quite that bad perhaps, but certainly tedious, and how handy that an old bus appears, complete with log fire and table, right in the middle of the 'wilderness' just after he got his wellies full of water.

I saw it a few days ago and thought it was excellent, I'm glad I read the book first though, the last time I saw anyone cry at the end of a movie was Titanic years ago and it was several women. At the end of Into The Wild there were several blokes crying in the cinema as the story is so personal to so many people. The movie is quite slow in parts so not for those who areimpatient but for those who love the wild andhave that thing in them that makes them want to be in the wild and not be a part of thefalse and tedious money obsessive worlda lot of us live in then you'll love this, I certainly did!

Loved the book, so can't wait to see the film.

And by the way I think the website rocks!

I saw the film shortly after it was released, and I'd thoroughly recommend it. (I'd give it a 7 out of 10, for what it's worth.) I thought Sean Penn did a superb job as director. He clearly put across how Chris McCandless saw the world.In my mindthe movie is auseful addition to the book; it certainly brings the story to life and places it before an audiencethat may never have heard of it otherwise. The movie can definitely make people think.

I have a lot of sympathy with the character, as I do with anyone who follows their own dreams and lives life on their own terms. Instead of accepting the life everyone else lives, and the life people thought he should live,he did his own thing. Of course, it all went tragically wrong, but it could so easilly not have.

In my view he was a hero of sorts...a flawed one, but a hero none the less.

Well assessed Andrew and totally agree!

I saw the film last night and enjoyed it although I'm not sure it is the masterpiece the advance publicity suggested it was.

Ireally felt the vastness of America came across well. It reminded me of something i felt when i visited a couple of yearss ago. Driving through Arizona, Colorado and California: America is so huge with great expanses of nothing betwen places. Chris was able to disappear and lose himself so completely, something we could not do in this country.

The other theme running through the film was contrasts the American way of life and a sub-culture of American life, representedby his parents- theirveneer or respectability a very thin skin over some unpleasant truths- and the characters he met on the road who were flawed yet honest.

I felt that in the making of the film a great deal was given over to the anguish his family felt and the narrative toldby his sister; not something i got from the book by Jon Krakauer.If I have a disappointment with this aspect it was the apparent reconcilliation with his past in his last breath: again I feel this is someone else's perspective perhaps to assuage some of the guilt his parents felt.

It is certainly a minority interest film, I went to see it it the Sheffield mega cinema and it was on screen15 in the attic with a Bollywood soundtrack intruding from the screen next door. Only a handful of people in and one couple left half way through ( it was a long and slow paced film). I couldn't see why it received such plaudits in terms of the direction by Sean Penn and acting by Emile Hirsch. Good as they both were I felt the landsacpes were the the real outstanding feature.

Not to be over critical I did enjoy the film and felt again that he was just unlucky and his book would have been worth a read , being a kind of Jack London meets Catcher in the Rye meets Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance.