Thread: trekking poles

Widdler

HI

ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE ON A DECENT PAIR OF TREKKING POLES ?????

IM GOING UP KILIMANJARO SO I WANT GOOD ONES.

THANKS

Pacer Poles seem to be thought of as some of the best. My wife has a pair and loves them, but I haven't used them enough myself to comment really. Bit expensive compared to most on the market, but those who've used them generally seem to think they are worth the extra.

I took a really knackered old trekking pole to Kili, along with a lot of other old gear. It's a dusty, gritty, cindery climb and you can expect everything to get dirty, sweaty, scuffed and scratched. When I was off the mountain, I gave all my old gear to the porters, including the trekking pole, put on my clean clothes and went home with a much lighter pack. If you intend coming home with lots of souvenirs, gruesome African masks and the like, you might like to give away all your worldly possessions and fill up the space with your purchases. It beats me why anyone would take new gear on that mountain.

Goon

WHATS WITH ALL THE SHOUTING???

turn off caps lock or is your keyboard knackered?

IMO i prefer flick lock poles like the black diamond ones, they tend to be more reliable, have a look and see what you think, make sure you get ones with all sections flick lock adjust

the engineering/bio-mechanical design of pacer is interesting, not used them though

Hmmm,

So Mr Lock here appears asking about trekking poles for Kili, having just posted this informative review presumably based on his impressive achievement as outlined on this old thread...

Now if a man of such calibre really needs our advice then I'd suggest clockwork poles - they're by far the easiest to wind up!!

Of course if I'm just being a cycnical old b@st@rd then I should probably apologise....

Widdler
    thanks for your useless advice!

Widdler

thanks gearboy/richard g/paddy dillon.

the last message was for matt c.

I like BD Flicklocks, finding them more reliable than twist-lock types.

if you'll be dealing with snow make sure you have snow baskets: unless it's very tough nevee cones will just sink through (persoanlly I use snow baskets all the time, very handy on bogs too, and ICBA to swap for sones).

BD's trekking poles now seem to come with loads of spurious foam and without the snow baskets. I'd get their ski touring poles instead, very similar but with the bigger baskets and without all the irrelevant foam. Also available in 2-part, which take up quite a bit more space when stowed but are a little lighter, a little stronger and there's one less thing to go wrong.

I find that antishock mechs do nothing useful if you've got reasonable technique with the poles so I'd be inclined to avoid them. Cork or other fancy grips and "positive angle" are similarly pretty moot as your weight should go through the straps in any case (Pacer Poles are an exception to this, designed to take the load through the grip).

Pete.

Widdler

thanks peter!

im looking into pacer poles right now.

‹bermensch
    Some people rave about Pacerpoles, but I borrowed a pair and didn't like em at all ? they were too awkward, especially going uphill. The BD Alpen CF is a good pole ? very light and easy to adjust, and doesn't collapse without warning, unlike some poles I've used made by a very well known manufacturer...

Widdler

thanks guy!

im taking all the advice onboard!

I also like BD for the flick lock mechanism as I had a twist mechanism on a non-BD set go funny after a few weeks mild use

pacer poles are used differently to "normal" poles. i think they're excellent

the alpkit carbon poles are good. very light. Alpkitand the two lower sections fit the pacer pole top section too.