Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OM Meet in the Brecon Beacons

Greetings OMers

Meet in Brecon Beacons 14th-16th September.

Sorry about the delay in posting a thread about this, but here it finally is!

The campsite at the Dan yr Ogof showcaves in the Upper Swansea Valley, a mile or so from the National Park Visitor Centre at Craig y Nos.

Attractions
    The western area of the Brecon Beacons National Park (Forest Fawr and the Black Mountain) with great walking; the Showcaves at Dan yr Ogof and the ostriches by the fake stone circle at the entrance to the campsite.
    There is a pub 5-10 minutes walk from the campsite.

No booking of the campsite is necessary - there's loads of space - and they're very happy to have us (though I did promise the guy that we wouldn't be having a rave!).

This is a great opportunity for OMers based in the south of the UK to come to a meet, but obviously those from further afield should come along too and experience both the fun of a meet and the beauty of our Welsh hills.

The usual (lack of) any other organisation will apply: we'll meet on the campsite or in the pub on the friday evening where people may work out routes for the following day which people may or may not wish to join in with. There's always the caves and the ostriches to see anyway...

Hope to see lots of you there.

:-)

At the beginning of July I camped there on Friday, and left the car whilst wild camping on the Saturday. Previously I've been charged £5 for camping and £3 for just the car, but this time they charged me £6 for the car "because it would be there for part of Saturday and part of Sunday". Obviously I queried it, but the Warden was quite clear about the new rules (he also said they don't really want walkers parking there as it takes spaces from the cave visitors).

I was a bit miffed when on my return Sunday lunchtime I found the car next to me had only been charged £3 for exactly the same time.

Park on the road, Jon. There's a layby just north of the campsite, by the phone box. There's another just past Tafarn y Garreg on the right. And since Tafarn y Garreg is shut, you can use the pub car-park which is only used by walkers now.

are laybys meant to be used as ar parks? just a question.

Thanks Kate, I'll have a look next time. The Warden was telling us a story about a (Dutch?) couple who parked overnight in a layby and returned to find it on bricks and stripped inside and out. If he had been looking for walker's business then I might not have believed him, but it seems they want to discourage walkers in favour of the cave visitors who spend more money.

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar

The lower half of the Beacons suffer from the proximity of the urbanised areas and associated crime gangs, this part being no different by virtue of it's proximity to Swansea.

Personally, I wouldn't begrudge paying such sums for the added security alone, regardless of what they charge the cave visitors!

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Hi Kate, sorry I not been on OM much recently, my job has changed somewhat and I have to actually work now! :-(

Count me and Nicky in for the meet, about 95% definite but we are planning to come!

Widdler
    I've been waiting for this, would love to join you Kate.

Martin.

Me too, I'll be there Kate, I look forward to meeting you and the other OMers.

Tel

As you know Kate, I'll be there to do something over the weekend.

Its my wife's birthday on Friday so I'm going to try and convince the in-laws to have the children from early Sat morning until Sunday so we can both come.

I'll see what i can do but we are back from holiday on the friday so if I sneak away it will have to be for a day/night only

PS there have been a spate of car thefts in the Ystradfellte region lately in cars left whilst walkers go and visit the waterfalls etc

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar

Ystradfellte is infamous for thefts from cars, suspected to be the Aberdare and Merthyr "crews."

This is especially so in the "overspill" car park for Porth Yr Ogof!

Beware folks!

Übermensch Nearly Normal Polar Bear's Avatar
    Yes, I remember our group's cars being 'nibbled' in this area, took a bit of the shine off a lovely walk. This was at the end of the rather drunken Llangorse climbing centre meet weekend, was that really two and a half years ago?!?

greetings all

i will do my best to be there if i can get time off work, i have never been to a OM meet before, as live in pembrokeshire andnot many mountains or big hills,but from what i hear the meets are fun fun fun!!!

thanks kate for bringing this to my attention.

Chris, it would be great if you could make it - even if just for part of the weekend - Pembrokeshire is so beautiful, but it is a heck of a long way from anywhere!!

And great to see some "Meet Virgins"hoping to make this one

Ooo, I'll be in Wales til the 14th anyway up at Plas-Y-Brenin. I'll look into getting myself to the meet after my course finishes, looks like fun and I'm sure I can con a couple more days off out of work.

Well, I'm 90% sure of attending this - the other 10% is in the hands of Her Indoors/The Other Half/She Who Must Be Obeyed. I'm going to be brave and ak her tonight. I'm sure if I say the organiser is Kate and we'll be sleeping in a field together there wont be any problems!!!

Whatever gear I'm missing by then - tough!

I would love to come but, unfortunately, I have earmarked exactly this weekend for the start of my Southern Upland Way 2 week extravaganza, so will unfortunately be unable to make it: I hope everyone has a great time.

CB if you are short a few items, i am sure others will share (apart from a sleeping bag maybe!)

Still trying to get to this for one night as i come back off holiday that weekend

Before I start trawling, I don't suppose anyone knows the best way by public transport to get to this place from PYB? Or if it's do-able at all?