Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TBS info

Sam - I know nothing - dont take my word on this.

I have two Vango tents with TBS - after my post last night I had a look at the errecting instructions for both.

1. Vango spirit 200 +

This has the black adjuster and the little bag etc etc - this product seems to be marked TBS Pro - from my experience it is a real simple piece of cake to use.

2. My other is a Vango Equinox 250 - this is marked TBS (not pro) - but I haven't errected this tent (I have only just bought it) - no doubt when I do put it up I will find the same as you have!?
    I am away this week otherwise I would get the darn thing out and have a look.

All in all - pretty poor reflection on the instructions for these tents, I had a recent conversation with the chap from Vaude UK along the same lines - their instructions are pretty thin and translated from German by a German speaker, so it reads a load of gobbledegook at times - that isn't intended as an insult to Germany or the german language (heaven forbid) just an insult to a badly written document that came with a tent.

Goon
    Fossil,
    Yes mines the TBS pro, I now understand how the top end tensioner works but wasn't sure where or how the little ring on the bottom of the cord attaches so I presumed it hooks under the end of the pole once the pole and the anchor strap where the pole slots into stops it from sliding up the pole. Your previous comment you mentioned it doesn't connect directly to the pole so I just wasn't sure I was doing it right. I'm glad it's not just me who finds it confusing seeing as I'm supposed to be technically minded, your right in saying the instructions don't actually tell you much regarding the TBS. Thanks for your help.

Widdler

I realise that this is an old thread --but i have just acquired a Spirit 200 and can't figure out the TBS -- hence the forum search.

I suspect that my problem is that the cords/tapes, that should attach to theapex strap plastic thingies are missing -- does anybody have a picture of the TBS in place ?

The Vango pictures are not detailed enough to show the fastening set up.

I think I understand that the cord should go from the plastic thingy to the button on the pole end but i have no idea how it tensions --as i say probably because i am missing the requisite bit of string.

A pic would help me make something up.

Thanks

‹bermensch
    I don't understand this thread. What is 'TBS'?

Tension Band System - invented by Aarn Tate for Vango, it adds stability to a tent.

Unfortunately I can't shed any light on the exact details of its set up.

‹bermensch
    Thank you! I wondered whether it was a new name for LloydsTSB.

Welcome to the forum on OM there PP!

Set up for that tent here.

From the vango website. Note you must release first the TBS system from the hidden pockets at the apex of poles. Posssibly that may be as yet unreleased?

www.vango.co.uk/products/documents/2006/Vista%20600DLX%20(Inner).doc -

Widdler

thanks for the replies but i am clear on the wee pocket position --the pocket on my tent is empty !

i need a couple of close up pictures from somebody who has a TBS set-up so i can see what it is supposed to look like.

there are clues in the earlier posts but not any hard info.

Mini Goon
    I have just gotten an Equinox 350 and put it up in our garden twice. It's our 'luxury tent' for chucking in the car - I weighed it and it comes out as 7 kilogrammes. For 2 of us to have more room and to cook in the porch when it's windy/raining. And it seems to be a good purchase, really big inside! With all the pegs around the flysheet and then the guylines, it seems unlikely to fly away - the TBS I don't quite understand.... 2 sets of straps clip into buckles in the roof of the flysheet and the tension on these can of course be tightened/loosened, but the instructions are vague (to say the least!) and my best scenario is that during very windy weather engaging the straps may help the tent to stop shaking so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlyfifer Phlyfifer View Post

thanks for the replies but i am clear on the wee pocket position --the pocket on my tent is empty !

i need a couple of close up pictures from somebody who has a TBS set-up so i can see what it is supposed to look like.

there are clues in the earlier posts but not any hard info.

Not sure whether you have solved this problem yet but I have owned both the VangoSpirit100 and 300, both with the TBS system.

Essentially, you have 2 or 3 pairs of webbing straps that come down from the roof of the tent flysheet and fit into corresponding buckles at the base of the tent flysheet walls. When drawn tight (i.e. tensioned) they add rigidity to the tent, particularly from sideways wind pressure. There maybe slots in the tent inner for these straps to pass through. The pockets that Trevor refers to are used to store the straps out of the way (rolled up) when not in use. Just because the pockets are empty does not mean that the straps missing.

If you still need to see these bands in action, PM me and I will upload some pictures of my Spirit 300.

on my new (2009 model) tempest 200 which has TBS front and back there are the pockets on left and right the webbing strap is sewn in to the bottom and there are two buckles on the roof in the middle. You clip them in and then pull tight like an adjustable rucksack strap (if that's a good analogy). Until the weather picks up I can't offer a picture but if the problem isn't solved by the weekend i can give it a whirl and take a few pictures. The two bands make a triangle shape clipped in at the top and go out to the sides at the bottom. No crossing of the bands or tying on (with my tent but i think that depends a bit)

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> and my best scenario is that during very windy weather engaging the straps may help the tent to stop shaking so much.

TBS stops the tunnel pole from moving from side to side (i.e. being blown about by the wind); it uses the fact that a triangle is a rigid structure, and the corners cannot bend (compare with a square, in which the parallel sides can be pressed over to make a rhombus).